TAG AND SOS

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why does the guy who calls Bentaleb a cunt talk about being a proper fan?

How about you keep it on topic?

So everyone keeps it on topic do they?

I just thought you might find it amusing me regressing to 12 yr olds humour but obviously not!
:adelol:

Tell me when did your love affair with Bentelab begin?

Was it last season at OT when he needlessly gave the ball away leading to a goal for the home side or was it this year when he did exactly the same thing again!

Now who says Pooch's coaching doesn't work?
:pocheyes:

Fuck me!

I've gone off topic again.......

:vertna:

IF it did happen the result could be getting rid of JL, Levy and Enic!

I agree that's unlikely but it is another option unlike your only option of grinning and bearing it!
An impossible option isn't an option.

And you didn't answer my question. How does trying to financially cripple our club help?

You think Joe Lewis will write off the lack of revenue within his whole business or just Spurs? I know the answer.

You're never going to stop people going to Spurs or buying Spurs shit. We don't go, more will just get sold to tourists.

It's not an option, it's a pipedream.

I don't know but that doesn't stop me from making the point!

It's like asking me who I think will make a better leader of the Labour Party!
I would have said anyone but Miliband but it looks as though they are going to get someone worse!
They're mistake!

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try though.
This is my point-it could be someone worse?

1. I want us to do things the right way. Not by buying up the league title in the way Chelsea and City have done. For me, any success we achieve with the club run in a way that is at least relatively fair in terms of our competitors, is worth more than titles and superstar players that are bought. Our fifth place finish last year means more to me than all the chavs' recent trophies. I don't care much if Chelsea win the league or not because I see it as tainted. The Drogba pen was horrible but only because it affected us. I hate it when Woolwich do well because they are run in the correct sort of way.
2. Football is not just about winning, it's about identity and community. There would be loads more jcl's, ticket prices would go through the roof. Those moments like the Lennon equaliser would feel less special because you'd be sharing them, in part, with a load of wankers who wouldn't be there if we weren't successful.
3. Lots of Chelsea's old school freely say that now they've won the trophies they'd freely go back to the days when they were in the second division if they could, when it meant more.
4. Everything is relative to your expectations. For us winning the league cup probably gives the same amount of euphoria if not more, than City fans feel when they win the league.

Be careful what you wish for! If it happened I wouldn't walk away from the club, like I would have done over Stratford. I'd try my best to enjoy the success. But I'd rather we were in the Championship in front of a crowd of proper yids than in the CL final under Abramovich being cheered on by a load of mugs who don't understand what it means to be Tottenham.
606F9md.jpg

urghhh.. We are no longer a midtable team and he is building us a huge new stadium. We will be financially able to compete and be up there.. cleanly! We wont get found out like Man City or worse still.. West Ham! These two sides (add Chelsea) are ruined if any kinda fair play/investigation is undertaken.

Be grateful for what we have and where we are.

I remember reading an old post here, can't be arsed finding it, I think it was by Éperons Éperons about how Spurs used to be run pre-Scholar. The people in charge did not try and make money out of running the club, they re-invested all the profits and often lost some of their own wealth in the process. I remember reading that 90% of the board came from Tottenham and they were all Spurs fans.
Probably was by me. There's a whole chapter in The Glory Game that addresses the relationship of the owners to the club that, if you don't have the book handy, is also discussed in the context of Modern Football and sociology (and at some length) here:

Society and Soccer | The Classical

The short version is that, yes, though the owners in the 70s were local and fans (Levy is allegedly a fan, after all, which is part of why SAF hated doing business with him--it was obvious Levy had the interests of the club first and foremost to him), the FA itself had rules in place that prevented making money from the club. The board could not pay itself wages, and the dividends the club paid off were laughable. That's why Scholar introduced the shell company. That was not beholden to the FA's 19th century gentlemen "it's not cricket" rules regarding profit, etc.

I think ENIC have been as good as anyone else in the League in terms of the results they've gotten for the club. That doesn't mean they have been perfect (they really, really haven't), but that does mean that if you think someone could have done better, you need to both be clear about what they've done better, and why it's better.

We have been rebuilt as a club with a lot of new infrastructure (not exciting for fans, but important for the club), a revitalized Academy which is producing a lot of exciting young players (which IS exciting for fans, unless you don't care about where players come from), and from being a club with annual relegation fears to the only team capable of consistently scaring Champion's League teams every year.

It's not been perfect, and the problems have been very frustrating, but the only thing which has held us back have been outside developments which I am not sure ENIC can be blamed for. If you look at the situation when they took over Spurs, they have turned us into a Champion's League-level club. In any other League in Europe, we'd be in there every year. But in England Chelsea and City's emergence as debt driven vanity projects changed the landscape dramatically. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that football clubs should be run at considerable loss, along unsustainable lines. In any other business it's not considered normal, and even the tax system would demand that Chelsea and City be considered as "hobbies", not "businesses" because of how they are run.

I don't think that's healthy for the game, and I don't look forward to seeing their future (okay, I will enjoy the schadenfreude).

I like the situation the club has right now, as we are finally putting all the pieces together after many years of short-termism and lack of direction. We finally have a coach who wants to play a young team featuring Academy talent, with a logical scouting plan which matches both the coach and the Academy. And Levy is finally listening to everyone and sticking to the plan.

We're not going to get to the promised land overnight, but as this team matures it will be increasingly competitive and unlike the Redknapp years won't vanish overnight when one transfer or injury sets us back. It won't be a guaranteed thing, and the odds are against us, but I like the sense of tilting at windmills as it makes the highs all the more satisfying.

Like others, if a new owner suddenly arrived, chucked all this out and bought our way into the big time instantly, I would be likely head for the exit. The connection to the club would be missing, and the suddenly influx of new fans with Chelsea-style expectations of instant gratification would take the fun out of things. We'd just be another brand to me, at that point.

I realize that others may disagree, and there's no wrong opinion on this, but for me, this is where I stand. ENIC aren't perfect, but I don't want to be turned into another debt-driven plastic monster. I would like the club to become more responsive to fans, and I would like the fans to actually have a bigger part of the club, through part ownership, but that's a pipedream of my own, and not something I expect to actually happen. I don't like the idea of simply hurling invective at someone to leave though, in the hopes of someone else showing up who's better, as the odds are very much against "better" happening, and the churlishness of it all doesn't appeal.

Do you think Daniels plan is to alienate himself from every single other team and then make token 100m offers for players knowing full well no one will do business with him?

Like others, if a new owner suddenly arrived, chucked all this out and bought our way into the big time instantly, I would be likely head for the exit. The connection to the club would be missing, and the suddenly influx of new fans with Chelsea-style expectations of instant gratification would take the fun out of things. We'd just be another brand to me, at that point.

So say by some miracle we won a few trophies in succession with ENIC, do you not think we would attract the same glory hunters?

The Redknapp years didnt end due to an injury or a transfer, they ended due to a change of manager when it wasnt needed.

And as for your guff about Pochettino, lets just see eh....

Do you think Daniels plan is to alienate himself from every single other team and then make token 100m offers for players knowing full well no one will do business with him?
I am used to the North American atmosphere where every team is considered a direct rival and no one likes to deal with each other. So for me, Levy's approach isn't unusual. If everyone in England hates him, given how the TV deals are changing the landscape so that it's no longer realistic to buy English anyway, I don't know if we're losing out in the long term.

I think that we obviously still will need to do transfers, but if you already know English (-based) players are too expensive, you were going to be buying elsewhere anyway, and will need to get more from your Academy. We seem to be better positioned to do that than other clubs who either can't or won't invest in/trust their own talent.

I think it's odd though that his tactics are considered derisory. I don't think anyone in sports offers top dollar right away unless they're complete idiots. You bid low, and then respond to counter-offers. Peace and Soton simply didn't want to sell, so never made counter offers. That leaves us "looking" cheap because the only publicised bids are low, but that doesn't mean we actually thought that was the fair or final price. I bet Real Madrid didn't bid 85 million for Bale right away, they negotiated their way up to that amount. Would that mean their initial offers were derisory? I don't think so, it's just how negotiations are done (unless you're Ed Woodward).

So say by some miracle we won a few trophies in succession with ENIC, do you not think we would attract the same glory hunters?

The Redknapp years didnt end due to an injury or a transfer, they ended due to a change of manager when it wasnt needed.

And as for your guff about Pochettino, lets just see eh....
I think the change of manager was needed, and I think the sales of Modric and Bale ended the era as much as anything else. But that's another discussion for another day.

Indeed we'll see about Pochettino, but I'm going to take the optimistic route, rather than assuming everything's shit and wallowing in misery.

(Levy is allegedly a fan, after all, which is part of why SAF hated doing business with him--it was obvious Levy had the interests of the club first and foremost to him)
Fergie's words:

You can’t discuss both sides of the issue with Daniel. It’s about him, and Tottenham, nothing more, which is no bad thing from his club’s perspective.​

Back
Top Bottom