TAG AND SOS

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They dont happen if you dont bid. Isnt if funny how WBA cited the timing as part of the problem for them......

When did we sign Wimmer, Toby and Trippier by the way?

How much interest was there in Wimmer, Toby and Trippier?

Y'see, at various stages in the transfer process some clubs will register an interest, which means they will be informed of any developments regarding the potential sale of the player. If a club receives an offer they are obliged to notify any clubs that have registered an interest. In the cases of the players you have mentioned, there was either no interest from other clubs or other clubs declined to make an offer at the time Spurs did. In the case of Berahino, there was likely interest from the big clubs in England as he ticks a lot of boxes in terms of being young, talented and homegrown, so it was never likely that WBA would sell early if there was potential to get more from the likes of Citeh, Utd or the Chavs.

Where are you gonna be sat at 19:45 on the 23rd of September? And are you going to be moaning or having a good time?

I´ll be sat in a bar somewhere probably.

If we play well, I´ll be having a good time. Exactly the same as if I was at the game. I dont enjoy shit games getting pumped up the arse by woolwich any more when Im in the stadium.

You can go to the game, and regardless of the performance, happy clap your way into tomorrow all you like, not giving a shit because "we´re allllivvve duuuuude"....I couldnt give a fuck.

If the players go out there and show some heart and passion in the NLD its enough. Playing well comes next, but Id rather lose our discpline, kick them in the shins and lose, than pussy around trying to keep a non existent shape and pass sideways rather than shoot.

When we lost 5-4 I couldnt speak for singing down gooner scum.

Losing 5-2 from 2-0 up was quite another story though. You might not distinguish between playing with heart and playing without. And you might be just grateful to be there having a good time, no matter is happening on the pitch.

Like I said, I really couldnt give a fuck. I dont care if you been to every single Spurs game since you were born. If you are there to be entertained, then sit down, and put your iphone in the air, so you can re-live it later, without a seconds thought given to the performance.

How much interest was there in Wimmer, Toby and Trippier?

Y'see, at various stages in the transfer process some clubs will register an interest, which means they will be informed of any developments regarding the potential sale of the player. If a club receives an offer they are obliged to notify any clubs that have registered an interest. In the cases of the players you have mentioned, there was either no interest from other clubs or other clubs declined to make an offer at the time Spurs did. In the case of Berahino, there was likely interest from the big clubs in England as he ticks a lot of boxes in terms of being young, talented and homegrown, so it was never likely that WBA would sell early if there was potential to get more from the likes of Citeh, Utd or the Chavs.

Funny cos I thought Southampton were threatening law suits over Toby. No interest indeed.....I didnt see any 2 month bidding war ensue.

You have made a scenario up from scratch, but the simple fact is that we bid for Berahino one week into the season. If we had bid earlier there would have been one of two outcomes:

They sold him to us
They didnt sell him to us

How would we know if they would sell early if we didnt try to sign him early?

This is the first post on this forum that has properly made me re-think my opinion. And that's because it is articulate, well worded, not rude or sarcastic towards those who may have a different opinion, and not posted by John Thomas John Thomas . ;)

You make some very good points, to be fair!
Okay. Been trying to stay out of this because it's a lose lose thing but... JDK JDK certainly does make valid points however, name one other club run differently right now? Not oil rich like chavs and citeh. Not Man U or arse that have old money or investment. Clubs at 'our' level doing anything different?

People moan about ticket prices, lack of transfer net spend, giving something back to the fans. Well I remember well when we nearly went out of existence. Plenty on here bemoaning Sugar forget Venables nearly took us under. Had his faults? For sure but there's always a bigger picture.

Trouble now is it is the instant Skynews/fifa16/deadline day generation. No idea of the bigger picture. Too many people living in the past. I'm fucking older than most and yet seem to have more patience. Levy/the board have made fuck ups. NO DOUBT. But get behind the team. It could be a whole lot worse.

Im starting to wonder why YOU follow the sport. You keep wondering why everyone else is....yet its you who clearly has no understanding of the emotion invested in following a football club.

A bit of entertainment? There to be enjoyed?
Here mate, I think you are better off taking a bit "escapism" yourself...try this:

connect-four_original.jpg

:pochbye:
I am using this as an example-sorry?
This is typical of the patronising comments aimed at fellow Spurs supporters from individuals that closely follow the club? It seems to give them permission to condescend. Common decency gets kicked into row Z. How dare they question fellow supporters level of loyalty with this undertone of sarcasm. This is a forum where ideas and views are issued and exchanged for answers, to be informed and to share stories and talk about the days game, its not to create divisions or to find fault with others.
Sometimes I feel supporters can get so close to the club that their vision is impaired and they need to step back and view the wider picture.
Its not a case of 'only joking' either, its on the spectrum of bullying.

There are far worse examples than this...this is not a personal attack to the quote author.

If the club learnt to communicate with it's "customers" a little better then some of the Bale money could have been held back for another day without a shitstorm. I felt at the time the money was being spent for spending sakes and I said it to more than one person.

It's just so upsetting that we try to build a football team with one hand tied behind our backs while the other hand is clutching 80m in profit
And herein the problem lies.

Some people think we could have held onto some of the money received for Bale. Others think we're restricting ourselves by not spending every ounce of profit and more of Joe Lewis' billions.

Levy will never get it right, we all want different things. We can say it's right or wrong but he will never get everything correct - he'll make mistakes and he'll make good decisions. We won't all agree (as above shows) but the teams fortunes have vastly improved under Levy, that is a fact.

I remember finishing 12th - 14th every season. It was difficult. We're now one of the best 6 clubs in the country and we probably have more people unhappy now than back then. Why? Because everyone thinks it's just THAT easy to keep pushing on until we're the best in the country - then the world.

You do realise that EVERYONE wants to be better? Everyone has issues and unhappy fans, they all have their own problems and they all have dreams of being - a PL team/mid table club/top half club/top 8/top 6/top 4/champions. It simply isn't possible for everyone to be better, we've been pretty static for a number of years now, but look at the fall of so many other clubs in that time. Not many have maintained status as high as us the past 5 years.

We have a wonderful training ground, a state of the art stadium on the way, and a squad littered with our own academy boys that are capable of maintaining a top 6 finish. We've never been a club littered with world class players, I don't understand where that expectation comes from.

Happy clapper/deluded/foolish - call me what you will. We're a fantastic club, playing regular European football. We have Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Pritchard, Rose - lads that care about our club.

Fuckin right I'm delighted.

I am using this as an example-sorry?
This is typical of the patronising comments aimed at fellow Spurs supporters from individuals that closely follow the club? It seems to give them permission to condescend. Common decency gets kicked into row Z. How dare they question fellow supporters level of loyalty with this undertone of sarcasm. This is a forum where ideas and views are issued and exchanged for answers, to be informed and to share stories and talk about the days game, its not to create divisions or to find fault with others.
Sometimes I feel supporters can get so close to the club that their vision is impaired and they need to step back and view the wider picture.
Its not a case of 'only joking' either, its on the spectrum of bullying.

There are far worse examples than this...this is not a personal attack to the quote author.

Funny cos you dont mind the person I quoted patrolling the forum calling people miserable cunts for their opinions and telling them how they should all be positive like he is...you dont mind when he plays the "I go to games" card every five minutes either do you.

Stop preaching yourself, its pathetic.

Surprised Irving Scholar hasn't got a mention, we had the best manager and squad in ages and he squandered the whole bloody lot and almost put us out of existence to boot.
And he was a Spurs supporter. Just goes to show, someone can have all the best intentions in the world, and it can still go tits up!

Funny cos you dont mind the person I quoted patrolling the forum calling people miserable cunts for their opinions and telling them how they should all be positive like he is...you dont mind when he plays the "I go to games" card every five minutes either do you.

The guy writes a post saying how bad it is that some fans feel the need to go to the level of personal abuse to justify themselves.

You reply saying it's pathetic.

I assume you never wonder why you end up in the bin?

The guy writes a post saying how bad it is that some fans feel the need to go to the level of personal abuse to justify themselves.

You reply saying it's pathetic.

I assume you never wonder why you end up in the bin?

The guy was happy to defend a poster who is constantly calling people "boring miserable cunts" for their opinions.

And just like him, that does´nt bother you either.

So just like him, your preaching is fucking pathetic.

And herein the problem lies.

Some people think we could have held onto some of the money received for Bale. Others think we're restricting ourselves by not spending every ounce of profit and more of Joe Lewis' billions.

Levy will never get it right, we all want different things. We can say it's right or wrong but he will never get everything correct - he'll make mistakes and he'll make good decisions. We won't all agree (as above shows) but the teams fortunes have vastly improved under Levy, that is a fact.

I remember finishing 12th - 14th every season. It was difficult. We're now one of the best 6 clubs in the country and we probably have more people unhappy now than back then. Why? Because everyone thinks it's just THAT easy to keep pushing on until we're the best in the country - then the world.

You do realise that EVERYONE wants to be better? Everyone has issues and unhappy fans, they all have their own problems and they all have dreams of being - a PL team/mid table club/top half club/top 8/top 6/top 4/champions. It simply isn't possible for everyone to be better, we've been pretty static for a number of years now, but look at the fall of so many other clubs in that time. Not many have maintained status as high as us the past 5 years.

We have a wonderful training ground, a state of the art stadium on the way, and a squad littered with our own academy boys that are capable of maintaining a top 6 finish. We've never been a club littered with world class players, I don't understand where that expectation comes from.

Happy clapper/deluded/foolish - call me what you will. We're a fantastic club, playing regular European football. We have Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Pritchard, Rose - lads that care about our club.

Fuckin right I'm delighted.

It all sounds very good.

The problem is, the football is not. Everton was a huge step in the right direction. Here´s hoping we can break the Spursy tag and repeat the effort and performance levels against Sunderland.

My money is on a return to the disjointed, turgid approach so prevalent over the last few seasons.

Happy to be proved wrong, but one decent 0-0 doesnt give me blind faith that will happen.

Yeah but football is there to be enjoyed. It's just entertainment. A bit of escapism.
You're right to say that football is there to be enjoyed, but I can't agree with it being just entertainment / escapism. My idea of entertainment is a good time (concerts, theatre, cinema, night down the pub, meal out) and if it doesn't turn out not to be that great, you shrug and say 'ah well, won't do that again in a hurry'. Being a Spurs supporter is so much more profound than that - when Spurs don't win, I'm miserable as sin and make everybody near me miserable too, but it doesn't enter my mind not to put myself through the same torture week after week, season after season.
Going back to the original post, I don't think ENIC get it right every time, and some of the decisions they have taken make me shake my head in disbelief. However, they have kept us on a financial even keel for yonks, and we need a steady ship in the next few years until the new stadium is up and running. Not sure campaigning to get rid of Levy/ENIC will put us in a better situation - knowing our luck, we'll get someone even worse!

Being fair minded I have to agree and appreciate your reply.
Negativity knocks the breath out of the club, We need to be fighting fit if we want to compete with the best. We need to motivate all supporters at every occasion not just when things look goods. Maybe I'm disillusioned on how forums work. I guess most don't use this forum.

Please understand this was not a personal attack towards you, I just wanted to make a point.

Why is this argument so emotive and devisive? I've just been drinking with a Spurs mate of mine. He is a bit of a Levy fan and I'm not. We had an interesting chat, and 4 pints later we agreed that we both had a point. Why is this place so black & white?

Haven't read the whole thread, but in an ideal world we would have someone like this as a owner Stoke City not yachts or private jets is what matters to Peter Coates

How likely is this to actually happen? I don't know. As has been said, getting rid of Levy would be a gamble and we might end up with someone worse, or something we hate like Mansour/Abramovich.

I reckon Stoke aren't far from their glass ceiling with their fan base and stadium though - I bet their fans become disgruntled when they realise that the only way is down.

And that's not say I don't see the value of Levy. The reinvigoration of the academy and the training centre have both been masterstrokes. He's done a lot to modernize the club and it is important in this age of football to have someone in charge who understands business. Also, to be fair, much of my negative opinion regarding him can be blamed simply on modern football.

Having said that, the problem is that it always seems we're picking business over football. The priority in almost all situations should be football over business. The club has started to feel like a business with an interest in football.

Levy's actual work on the football team is just starting to feel like groundhog day. Every year we leave positions short that we have known since the start of the summer are weaknesses. It's baffling. Then it inevitably ends with us crying poor when in reality we are making record profits. I understand we have to be stringent with the stadium coming up but we take it to extremes and the football suffers. Plus, almost every manager has fallen out with Levy. That's not a good sign and certainly doesn't make us endearing to other managers who might want to come here.

Levy's not far from being a good chairman but he's failed to learn from his mistakes so many times that I no longer have any reason to believe he'll stop being a bad one. Levy personifies Spurs perfectly: one step forward two steps back.

Excellent post.

Although I knew.....sorry....was totally convinced weeks ago we would not bring in a quality DM and a striker, I thought I was being ultra cynical to occasionally think we'd get neither!

I know we made acquisitions; some seemingly decent ones and we pray some quality ones too. However, again the net spend situation is the same old, regardless of the opportunity or shortfall of squad balance. Had Ade left and Fazio been shifted then maybe we would have got some sort of other deal over the line. Beharino? Maybe, maybe not, how can you not say it smacks of the usual 'we tried and it wasn't our fault' scenario a la Moutinho et al.

It is amazing how many times a different version of the same old shit plays out for some to just be unwilling to smell the obvious, that or happy to stick a permanent peg on their nose.

I actually do not hate Levy, I do not expect us to spend like there's no tomorrow but I don't expect us to be next to/bottom of the spend table year in year out in this day and age and given our status and relative wealth. Regardless of the stadium, yes regardless of it. Borrowing money is as cheap as it's ever been, the assets are as safe an investment as they can be due to land values etc, the TV money deals are immense, the NFL deal is unique and lucrative, naming rights still to come etc. ENIC already have a huge profit from their investment and they will increase it further with the stadium project, probably selling before they've even begun paying it off for long. This is their priority, Spurs are incidental, we are a means to an end. Fans on the board or not, they are more driven about their £hundreds of millions than whether we give a shit about ticket prices and the latest manager sacking or profitable window, particularly as they know that we're too emotionally linked to the club to not remain providing the cash flow directly and indirectly (Sky etc).

This window will have been even more profitable than recent ones because the wage bill must be significantly lower due to type of personnel moved on compared to those brought in. I dare say that is just a huge coincidental benefit of the playing staff part of our latest football 'philosophy'?

or something we hate like Mansour/Abramovich.

Again, why do we hate Roman and the Sheikhs? They plough personal fortunes into their clubs, our billionaire is just increasing his own wealth through us.

Those teams lucked out, no matter what the cause. How did we feel when Drogba tucked that penalty away compared to the chavs? The absolute pits compared to their utter and ultimate elation. We hate Terry with a passion yet he can wave a wheel-barrow of medals and cash in our faces. Would City fans ever swap the last gasp Aguero goal snatching the title from United after watching them dominate for over 20 years while they toiled?

Fuck off would they, I still get goosebumps watching Lennon tap it in the net for 4-4 and what did that point mean in a season we finished 8th and those cunts were top 4 as usual!?

After 1987 (and even that year they did a cup and we fucked up in the final), there have been very few times I've felt we were better than them (in footballing terms). The one time we finished above them and when Harry was in charge and yet we STILL didn't finish above them so ultimately we weren't.

If it came to it, I could accept if we sell my/our soul; win the Champions League before they do........whatever the price yes please! They'd be absolutely gutted and sick about it forever.

Back
Top Bottom