Super Spurs versus Carbon City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Delighted with the CSKA result last night, and 65% possession is great, but we seem really vulnerable to the counterattack - much more so than last season - and this worries me ahead of the Citeh game. Unlike Monaco (who, iirc, converted their only two shots on target) the Russians weren't good enough to exploit it - Citeh definitely are.

I'm assuming Walker and Sissoko will be available - anyone know the situation with Dier, Moose and Rose?

Normally I am worried about the easy games, Middlesbrough away, or Sunderland at home after our CL games, last few seasons we would have thrown both these away, we always up our game when playing teams in the top 4, Poch took a big risk resting some big names last night, and it paid off with 3 points, I'm hoping Dier, Moosa, rose, walker and even Sissoko on the bench all come back into the team for Sunday nicely rested and show everyone that it ain't all about the L'pool and Citeh this season!!!!

Don't think he rested them as such, more that its not worth risking the knocks they are carrying getting worse. Hopefully some or all will be available for Sunday.

Think Poch will go with our strongest team

Lloris
Walker Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Dier Dembele
Lamela Eriksen Son
Janssen

The major call is picking two out off Lamela, Eriksen and Dele.

Poch will need to do something differant against City. Pep will have us sussed if we play our usaul game. Our FBs are key, e.g....Pep will have Stirling sitting wide on the line and far forward as possible to keep Walker from getting forward. i would have two lines of 5. Defend first and attack once we develope the ball in good areas. We cant be gung ho, we must be mature and controlled which I feel we are developing as a team.

Poch will need to do something differant against City. Pep will have us sussed if we play our usaul game. Our FBs are key, e.g....Pep will have Stirling sitting wide on the line and far forward as possible to keep Walker from getting forward. i would have two lines of 5. Defend first and attack once we develope the ball in good areas. We cant be gung ho, we must be mature and controlled which I feel we are developing as a team.
I disagree. We should play as we usually do. We will press them as we do all teams, Citeh have not come up against a side that presses like us, well that is a white lie as the did last weekend. Swansea were the better side until they got their pen, for the first time Pep's Citieh were pressed and they didn't like it, couldn't handle it, with Stones and Otamendi looking like rabbits in headlights. Here is a good write-up on what Swansea did right against them. Swansea's Pressing vs Man City Nearly Paid Off - The football blog

We are one of the best pressing teams in the game, seeing them struggle and unable to play-out from the back would put serious doubt in their minds as they rock up at The Lane, their arseholes are already twitching like a hamsters nose's at the thought of it.

Hope we just tear into these cunts like we did against Chelsea. Couldn't give a shit about The Pep effect. Send Lamela out there on redbull and put a few reducers into these fancy dans early doors. Take him off before he gets a red and then send Sissoko out to do the same. Dembele will bulldozer through their midfield. Need to send these over paid cunts back up the M1 with their talls between their legs.
They won't like it up them. 3-0

Hope we just tear into these cunts like we did against Chelsea. Couldn't give a shit about The Pep effect. Send Lamela out there on redbull and put a few reducers into these fancy dans early doors. Take him off before he gets a red and then send Sissoko out to do the same. Dembele will bulldozer through their midfield. Need to send these over paid cunts back up the M1 with their talls between their legs.
They won't like it up them. 3-0

M1 then M6 I would suggest :freund:

Think Poch will go with our strongest team;
Dier Dembele
Lamela Eriksen Son
Janssen

The major call is picking two out off Lamela, Eriksen and Dele.

It wouldn't surprise me if he started with all 3 and dropped Janssen.... don't think he will though!
Son has made it very difficult to choose a team... but in a good way!
The way he's been scoring, he could replace either Eriksen/Dele/Lamela OR Janssen at this rate!

It is so fucking cool that Spurs are at a point where we can look at a team like City (a team that's almost definitely going to run away with the title) and say, without an ounce of sarcasm, that we can beat them!

Think this is the match you sit Erisken if everyone is healthy...

Hugo
Walker - Toby - Jan - Rose
Dier - Dembele
Lamela - Dele - Son
Janssen

Gives us an option to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Dele is much more capable dropping deeper and defensive play.

......................Lloris
Walker Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
...................Dembele
...........Eriksen Alli Lamela
.....Son
................N'Koudu

Let's frighten the crap out of their pedestrian central defenders - let them spend the first half having Billy Wizz coming at them. With any luck they'll be down to 9 men by the second half.

I disagree. We should play as we usually do. We will press them as we do all teams, Citeh have not come up against a side that presses like us, well that is a white lie as the did last weekend. Swansea were the better side until they got their pen, for the first time Pep's Citieh were pressed and they didn't like it, couldn't handle it, with Stones and Otamendi looking like rabbits in headlights. Here is a good write-up on what Swansea did right against them. Swansea's Pressing vs Man City Nearly Paid Off - The football blog

We are one of the best pressing teams in the game, seeing them struggle and unable to play-out from the back would put serious doubt in their minds as they rock up at The Lane, their arseholes are already twitching like a hamsters nose's at the thought of it.
Swansea was on par for an hour but lost. Other teams have tried and lost. Its not the way for me. City have a good range of players that are all willing to get involved. We need to be up for it, toe to toe with each and everyone of them from the off. They have so many options when going forward, we need to be prepared to sit deep and match em because they will look to out number us. When we can develop the ball, in decent areas going forward, then commit numbers and they will sit deep and defend. Both teams have the quick counter attack in them which will be the deciding factor-who does it better and takes their chances. We also need to minimise mistakes all over.

Last edited:
As much as I want 3 points on the pitch. I give Manchester City absolutely no respect and I do not see them as in anyway a valid opposition. Morally there is light and day between our clubs and that is victory enough.

The owners of City simply use it to help
construct a public relations image of a progressive, dynamic Gulf state, which deflects attention from what is really going on in the country in regard to repression and shocking abuses of their own people's basic human rights.

That the FA, our governments and our media turn a blind eye to this reality is shameful. It's not "just sport" every time they win, someone has already lost very badly.

I recognize it's Political stance here I am taking and I appreciate that some will say Sport and political agendas should be separate, I respect that opinion.

Back
Top Bottom