Super Spurs versus Carbon City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Press, press, press.

City, especially at the back, are dreadful against teams that press and fluster them. if you sit back they're simply going to play one touch football and rip through you.

They will score and they'll concede too. No point defending when you know this. Their weakness is in defence.
They will look to pin our FBs back with pace wide. Stirling will need to be taken care off and whoever is on the other side? City will come at us with 5 going forward, rotating with width. We mustn't drop deep (as you say) and because that will stifle us attacking in numbers- they will cope with 5 at the back. City will look to over whelm you in areas. We need to be dominate going forward, as you say...Press press press but with caution getting the balance right. This should be a fascinating game with two good teams and two top tacitly minded coaches.

Press, press, press.

City, especially at the back, are dreadful against teams that press and fluster them. if you sit back they're simply going to play one touch football and rip through you.

They will score and they'll concede too. No point defending when you know this. Their weakness is in defence.
  • Spurs-most consecutive League victories from start of a top flight season: 11 (1960).
  • City are looking to equal this on the weekend against us.
Im wrong with this. We have the record yes (11 league games) but City are only on 6 or 7 games in.
They have 10 wins which includes cup gamed.

I don't think Shitty are that strong at the back but the attacking players give me headache, namely Aguero, Silva, DeBryune :pochfacepalm:

Poch will have to come up with a way of countering shitty's full backs playing as virtual midfielders. I think it could be an open game.

Press, press, press.

Relentless pressing is the way yes, still need to be disciplined with our shape, its a fucking wounder that Dembele won't be available.

I'm still recovering from the rapings we got from City under AVB and Timmy. They just tore through us on the break. Nothing we could do. Kaboul red cards all over the shop and about 90 Aguero penalties.

But they are a different team now and so are we.

No De Bruyne and no Kompany fills me with hope.

A loss will probably see us down to 6th.
:dierno:

Last edited:
Relentless pressing is the way yes, still need to be disciplined with our shape, its a fucking wounder that Dembele won't be available.

I'm still recovering from the rapings we got from City under AVB and Timmy. They just tore through us on the break. Nothing we could do. Kaboul red cards all over the shop and about 90 Aguero penalties.

But they are a different team now and so are we.

No De Bruyne and no Kompany fills me with hope.

A loss will probably see us down to 6th.
:dierno:
did poch confirm no moose for sunday?

of course it's relevant. Poch has a good record against Pep as a manager. they are the managers of the teams.
presumably of entirely different collections of footballers, which to my way of thinking, would render it irrelevant.

Or do you think that Pep now has some sort of psychological block imagining some hoodoo or curse exists?

Kidding aside, I don't see it, so I was interested to find out why you thought was relevant

presumably of entirely different collections of footballers, which to my way of thinking, would render it irrelevant.

Or do you think that Pep now has some sort of psychological block imagining some hoodoo or curse exists?

Kidding aside, I don't see it, so I was interested to find out why you thought was relevant

Managers generally have a prefered style or system though don't they? Regardless of the players they have operating within that system.

An opposition manager may be particularly good at countering a particular system or just out smarting the opponent when it comes to lining their team up or making substitutions or formation changes to win a game.

Its a game of chess isnt it. Outsmarting and second guessing. There's a psychological edge too; press conferences, bluffing on starting line ups. It's subtle for sure, but its there.

See Wenger never beating Mourinho.

Managers generally have a prefered style or system though don't they? Regardless of the players they have operating within that system.

An opposition manager may be particularly good at countering a particular system or just out smarting the opponent when it comes to lining their team up or making substitutions or formation changes to win a game.

Its a game of chess isnt it. Outsmarting and second guessing. There's a psychological edge too; press conferences, bluffing on starting line ups. It's subtle for sure, but its there.

See Wenger never beating Mourinho.
SO.....
Nothing to do with the players then?

IMV - you can get the players to try to play to a style and set up, but it can all be undone by a moment of brilliance by an individual, or a major error of judgement by another.
The managers motivational leadership is important, but ultimately the players and their performance on the day is all that really counts.

just my take on things, you could well be right.

SO.....
Nothing to do with the players then?

No, that's not what i said. We don't need to polarise the discussion.

Of course the players have more of a direct input on the outcome of a game. They are the ones touching the ball. However, one manager having a particularly good record against another manager can be down to more than just the players he has at his disposal and how they perform on the day.

No, that's not what i said. We don't need to polarise the discussion.

Of course the players have more of a direct input on the outcome of a game. They are the ones touching the ball. However, one manager having a particularly good record against another manager can be down to more than just the players he has at his disposal and how they perform on the day.
OK - but if he went into the game utilising the squad of Notts Forest then the outcome would would definitely be down to the players - no?
He only has a minimal record against Guardiola L3 D2 W1 - so what does that tell us?
I suspect that all it tells us in reality - was that Guardiola had all the toys and Poch got lucky once.
Hardly looks like a gypsies curse.

OK - but if he went into the game utilising the squad of Notts Forest then the outcome would would definitely be down to the players - no?
He only has a minimal record against Guardiola L3 D2 W1 - so what does that tell us?
I suspect that all it tells us in reality - was that Guardiola had all the toys and Poch got lucky once.
Hardly looks like a gypsies curse.

Got lucky? Maybe, but his win vs Barcelona with Espanyol was a huge shocker. They hardly had the same resources.

Got lucky? Maybe, but his win vs Barcelona with Espanyol was a huge shocker. They hardly had the same resources.
Agreed, no doubt about it, but the trend goes with the better footballers.

we beat Wigan 9-1 one year and lost 1-0 in the same fixture the following season
upsets happen, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I'm sticking with my theory that the team that comes out and plays best, keeps their shit wired tight and gets some lucky bounces will win.

But if I were a gambling man (I'm not) then I would go with Citeh (sadly) purely and simply because of how much they have spent on their squad - rather than the somewhat folorn hope that Pep will be so damaged by the fact that Espanyol beat his Barca side once that he will suddenly crumble under the pressure.

I agree it's different clubs, different set of players, but managers pick their approaches to a game based partly on the opposition and the opposition is largely influenced by who the manager is. I think their previous meetings show that Poch understands the way Pep operates and he knows how to play against a Pep set up.

I agree it's different clubs, different set of players, but managers pick their approaches to a game based partly on the opposition and the opposition is largely influenced by who the manager is. I think their previous meetings show that Poch understands the way Pep operates and he knows how to play against a Pep set up.
I hope you and the other guys are 100% right!

Back
Top Bottom