Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Would only have lukaku on a season loan. Dont want us shelling out a fee for him. Still want orban as well.
Lukaku is a hard avoid on a quick toilet time snog, marry, avoid check.
Overweight. Performs when it suits him. Huge and unreasonable wages.
:tanguythumb:
Not another bum please.
More to compliment rather than ruin what we’ve seen this season. Sarr, Bissouma, Maddison.
Bring in Orban in case Richy remains a dud. But not Lukaku. Another waster

Last edited:
Probably not. I'm definitely not a fan of ENIC.

You're not being asked to be.

However; one might find the content of AGs post (which had nothing to do with picking players in the way you suggested) somewhat encouraging if they do harbour concerns about Levy "meddling".... So long as they aren't excessively entrench in the whole anti-ENIC mindset of course.

I've listened to Gold's latest video, and it's nuts how many BASE clients we have: Postecoglou, Son, Maddison, Richarlison, Porro, Sarr, Scarlett, Devine, Donley...maybe Eze next year.

I think it's about how much FFP wiggle room you want to create. If you buy for 10 and sell for 5, you spread the 10 over a 5-year contract, so 2/year, and bank the 5 right now, thus creating a +3 for the current year.

If you swap and pay an extra 5, you spread the 5 over a 5-year contract, but don't bank anything for the current year. So less wiggle room.
ffp wiggle room is irrelevant for us though - we don’t need headroom after years of ENIC’s frugal under investment

Suspect uk tax is a far bigger factor in how we structure deals

He will obviously have control over the squad as it exists on September 1st, but what he crucially doesn’t have control on is who may or may not be added to the squad. And those potential incoming transfers are the ones we truly need to challenge for CL this year.
If this is true.

We too easily believe whatever suits our own narrative.

Yet we're averaging 2 goals a game and, more importantly, our average xG is 2.0 having played United and a super defensive Brentford. For perspective, our average xG last year was 1.5 and Woolwich's was 2.0. And the players are still learning Ange's system, meaning it is expected to get higher as the season progresses.

So yeah, a striker would be nice, but it's not the end all be all right now. Spending money just because it's burning a hole in our pocket, instead of taking our time to identify the absolute best option, would be repeating the mistakes of the past.

People were also getting antsy that we didn't appoint a new manager right away after Conte was sacked, but we took our time and identified the right fit. So chill out. We may have not made as many signings as y'all might want, but the ones we made have so far been spot on. I'd rather this than just knee-jerk spending.
Couple of counter points: Early optimism is warranted, but not attempting to replace at least some of Kane's goals will hurt us in the long term. I'm not talking about knee-jerk spending. Any serious football club would have started scouting as soon as Kane stopped engaging in contract talks. And I think we have done that, but it looks like money won't be spent, with the excuse being lack of outgoings. Kane leaving and attempts to replace him should live outside of that narrative.

Back
Top Bottom