Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought seeing out a game is not in Ange’s philosophy. Hasn’t he said if you are leading you keep trying to get another goal.
Every game needs to be seen out but Ange does that very differently to Conte or Jose.

We won’t see extra defenders but maybe CMs that are more experienced in terms i of passing to maintain possession and know when to block certain channels for the opp

I still reckon 14 non penalty goals is a particularly great return

Ange cannot get a full squad they he wants in this window. If PEH and/or Skipp are not really suited but stay in this window Ange will need 2-3 window s to replace both of them. We’d have PMS, YB and RB to play alongside JM until the squad in complete.That’s not too shabby.
I guess PEH still goes this window and a CM comes in

Every game needs to be seen out but Ange does that very differently to Conte or Jose.

We won’t see extra defenders but maybe CMs that are more experienced in terms i of passing to maintain possession and know when to block certain channels for the opp
He did it well against United this weekend.

Davies, Pierre and Perisic came in and provided a good level of physicality and experience that allowed us to ride out United's final surge. But without needing to throw more defenders on. Just like for like positional replacements.

He’s also said he can’t control who actually leaves so can’t burn bridges with the players he wants gone.

I guess what he’s saying is he makes the decisions but the club executes them. If they can.
Did he actually say that? I'm not so sure. I didn't hear him say that in the press conference.

Couple of counter points: Early optimism is warranted, but not attempting to replace at least some of Kane's goals will hurt us in the long term. I'm not talking about knee-jerk spending. Any serious football club would have started scouting as soon as Kane stopped engaging in contract talks. And I think we have done that, but it looks like money won't be spent, with the excuse being lack of outgoings. Kane leaving and attempts to replace him should live outside of that narrative.
That's exactly what my post illustrated: we are replacing Kane's goals. We are also creating more goal scoring chances, so we don't have to rely on any one player's superb finishing. Could we use a Hazard type of player? Of course. But are we set up to find the 25 non-penalty goals Kane scored from other sources? Absolutely.

Nah right time to sell if we can get a decent price, need to start selling players when the time is right. Plus apparently he wants to move on as well.
Agree with Bentancur due back in a few months too, will he get any game time? Think we could spend the £30m somewhere else and be better for it.

That's exactly what my post illustrated: we are replacing Kane's goals. We are also creating more goal scoring chances, so we don't have to rely on any one player's superb finishing. Could we use a Hazard type of player? Of course. But are we set up to find the 25 non-penalty goals Kane scored from other sources? Absolutely.
In my opinion this is wishful thinking and the sort of squad management that has gotten us in to trouble time and time again.

Maybe he’s into things the Saudis aren’t into?

Or has an underlying injury?
There's apparently a set limit on the amount of foreign players a Saudi team can use. So there is a rumour according to Reddit that they want to move him on because they have set their sights on a bigger name instead.

If that means moving him to another team in Saudi or him leaving the league all together is apparently up in the air.

Ange loved the guy so maybe he could come in as an additional winger.

And also for the fantastic set of quality options that are emerging.

Have to give credit for the deals that get done if we want to criticize for the ones not getting done.

This week is huge though. Really need to start seeing movement on outs or you feel like we start missing out on players coming in. Either from other club interest or the selling clubs running out of time to replace them.

The only players that generally move really late in the window are unwanted players or overpriced ones.

In my opinion this is wishful thinking and the sort of squad management that has gotten us in to trouble time and time again.
But it isn't wrong either.

Kane is a unique player. We are not going to be able to replace his goal output with just one player. Not to mention his assist output. 9 out of 10 players operating in the same echelon as Kane is not going to want to come to Spurs at this time.

We need to get a more proven goalscorer in unless we can get Richarlison firing. But it will most likely be someone shipping 15ish, possibly 20 goals a season. And the rest will be made up for by other players.

Have to give credit for the deals that get done if we want to criticize for the ones not getting done.

This week is huge though. Really need to start seeing movement on outs or you feel like we start missing out on players coming in. Either from other club interest or the selling clubs running out of time to replace them.

The only players that generally move really late in the window are unwanted players or overpriced ones.

Not sure I am too fussed about overpriced players - Players have been going for an overpriced amount since the window has been opened. Much more concerned about overpaying for wages.

But it isn't wrong either.

Kane is a unique player. We are not going to be able to replace his goal output with just one player. Not to mention his assist output. 9 out of 10 players operating in the same echelon as Kane is not going to want to come to Spurs at this time.

We need to get a more proven goalscorer in unless we can get Richarlison firing. But it will most likely be someone shipping 15ish, possibly 20 goals a season. And the rest will be made up for by other players.
I'm not saying one player will replace Kane only that it's ridiculous to sell our only proper striker and being happy with doing nothing.

I still reckon 14 non penalty goals is a particularly great return

Ange cannot get a full squad they he wants in this window. If PEH and/or Skipp are not really suited but stay in this window Ange will need 2-3 window s to replace both of them. We’d have PMS, YB and RB to play alongside JM until the squad in complete.That’s not too shabby.
Messi only got 16 last season in France. It's not like Spain where players score 50 a season

Back
Top Bottom