Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
No transfer rumors then, no?

:ange-arms:

Some ITK to tide you over :

AC Milan and Chelsea have both expressed significant interest in acquiring Gift Orban. While the terms with the player are agreeable, we're still deliberating on whether to proceed with the deal, given his popularity within the club's hierarchy — a likelihood that's heightened. Additionally, we're actively considering alternatives for the same position, particularly two other players whom we're very enthusiastic about for the forward role; however, it's worth noting that these alternatives might come with higher transfer fees compared to Orban.

Navigating player departures is proving to be a challenge, as there's substantial interest in our players. However, the transfer fees being offered are falling short of the club's expectations, particularly in cases where Daniel Levy is involved, or players themselves are not inclined towards a move.

WLB

I'm not really sure what your point is, as you've managed to name only clubs that would be included in any ESL?

:avbcringe:

Where's the NYC Burnley Supporters pub? How packed does it get? The club doesn't list a recognized supporters group outside of England.

I don't know of a Burnley bar offhand, but I'm always shocked when I walk by Smithfield's on a Saturday and it's packed with Forest fans.

New York has some strange supporters places.

Just don't go near O'Hanlan's. Bunch of Gooners.

This kind disintegrates into categorizing various types of fans which isn't worth our time. I do think you're overrating the prominence of Atletico. Real and Barca have an undeniable cultural cache, at a little bit lesser level you get to the PSG's and Bayern's of the world, but as I said before THE PREMIER LEAGUE is a very strong and identifiable brand in its own right, containing more clubs with intense US followings than the rest of Europe combined.

It makes more financial sense for the PL to compete against the ESL than to join it, I will say it until I'm blue in the face.

Rapidly decreasingly so. And Marvel is doing better than DC or Star Wars. The economics of franchise schlock have collapsed. The audience have gotten wise that they're the suckers here.

The NFL never destroyed a pre-existing culturally beloved institution to get to its current unassailable heights. It got there by BEING a pre-existing culturally beloved institution.

The NFL system is a perfect unstoppable machine to pour money into the capital owners pockets. Correct, undeniable statement. I do not believe haphazardly reconstructing European soccer in the NFL's image is a guarantee of a machine that would operate in the same way like you do.
I'll run through this quickly because I'm tired of belabouring this again.

1. Never said Atletico were a vastly supported or recognized brand. Go back to the original post, Atletico would be one of the lower tier brands in the ESL. Their brand power <<Madrid but >>Burnley - that's the point. They bring more value to any league they're involved in.
  2. THE PREMIER LEAGUE is a valuable brand because of the top 6. The top 6 clubs provide 90% of the value and receive much less of that in revenue distribution. Cutting free from the Burnley's of the world will cost them basically non le of their value, but will allow them to take/keep a larger share of the value their brands produce by packaging themselves with a far more valuable collection of brands that need less financial support.
  3. Marvel accounts for 4 of the top 10, 8 of the top 20, and 10 of the top 50 grossing films of all time. The movies alone have grossed $30 billion, and have created many, many, many billions more in merchandising revenue. I'm really struggling to understand how you are trying to cast it as anything other than one of the most successful ideas in the history of the entertainment industry.
  4. The NFL destroyed Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Cracker Jacks, and America's Pastime, WTF are you talking about?

No I bet your not keen to revisit it 😂
What difference does mine or anyone else s opinion on here regarding a striker matter?
As I said I’m not a scout and my knowledge of football outside the premier league is limited so I’m not a good judge of a world wide striker search and it’s completely irrelevant as neither are you, I didn’t bottle anything as you put it I just hope the club have better scouting than guys on a football forum.

I already gave you the punchline to all this yesterday.......

With the club out of Europe, no trophy on the shelf for 15 years and trying to bounce back from an 8th place finish, NONE of the worlds "top TS" are gonna leave their current club for Spurs........ "Top STs" are a highly sought after commodity.

Simple point for you: There's more "top" clubs than "top STs"...........

We've been lucky enough to live in the Kane bubble for 9 years, but look around you; rarely do EPL strikers hit 20 goals in a season. Time to wake up and smell that coffee

......Don't you think it's a bit rich to casually sit back and say "I'm not a scout" and yet simultaneously complain about our potential ST target(s) just cos they don't seem expensive enough to you???? (Clue: It damn well is! So, maybe you should just remain as meek as your "I'm not a scout" rhetoric, keep schtum and see if the guy(s) they scouted delivers the goods or not before bitching?)

I didn’t say it was ok to spend 100m on a 50m player, I used it as a example of paying over the odds to get a good player that you need, if you have to overpay a little for the greater good it would be financially better than 3 cheaper punts imo.

FFS...... By citing it in the way you did you are condoning it, you tool.

100 v 50 was literally YOUR evaluation of the Rice deal.... A deal you specifically cited and the was A) ok and B) a "little" (LOL) over-payment. Not my numbers/evaluation.... Or some random tweet or pundit.... YOURs.

I answered your stupid argument now, I did before but you decided to misunderstand and interpret wrongly so please don’t irritate me any longer

Tough shit. YOU caused the resurrection of this matter yourself, by gobbing off with some bullshit about me to other posters. You rattle the proverbial hornet's nest; bit late complaining about it now.

Last edited:
I don't know of a Burnley bar offhand, but I'm always shocked when I walk by Smithfield's on a Saturday and it's packed with Forest fans.

New York has some strange supporters places.

Just don't go near O'Hanlan's. Bunch of Gooners.

I will add if anyone is ever in town you can sometimes find me at Flannery's in a nice area of Manhattan for games. I'll even buy you a pint:

My point is more that these ‘massive European clubs’ aren’t exactly massive here.
But, again, they're much more massive than Burnley. The argument for the top 6 to join an ESL is precisely to stop giving so much of their revenue to clubs like Burnley which produce no inherent value themselves. It's classic capitalism - cut free from the dead weight. It's what produced the PL to begin with, just taking to the next logical step.

THE PREMIER LEAGUE is a valuable brand because of the top 6.
I don't agree on principle, I think "Englishness" is a more prominent part of the value proposition than you're letting on.

And also 6 is rapidly becoming 7, could be maybe 8, and as I mentioned, clubs like Everton, even West Ham and Fulham, there is some traction elsewhere.

Support for English clubs completely dwarfs the rest of Europe combined in the US.

There is some unique cultural affinity in America of course, but I don't think the fundamentals are entirely different elsewhere. They had a big ass empire, y'know. English is the lingua franca of the world.
The NFL destroyed Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Cracker Jacks, and America's Pastime, WTF are you talking about?
What are you talking about? I'm about to stuff my ass like a sardine into a Red Line car overflowing with people going to Wrigley tonight.

You are proposing to end the English football pyramid. People will be mad!

I already gave you the punchline to all this yesterday.......

With the club out of Europe, no trophy on the shelf for 15 years and trying to bounce back from an 8th place finish, NONE of the worlds "top TS" are gonna leave their current club for Spurs........ "Top STs" are a highly sought after commodity.

Simple point for you: There's more "top" clubs than "top STs"...........

We've been lucky enough to live in the Kane bubble for 9 years, but look around you rarely do EPL strikers hit 20 goals in a season. Time to wake up and smell that coffee

......Don't you think it's a bit rich to casually sit back and say "I'm not a scout" and yet simultaneously complain about our potential ST target(s) just cos they don't seem expensive enough to you???? (Clue: It damn well is! So, maybe you should just remain as meek as your "I'm not a scout" rhetoric, keep schtum and see if the guy(s) they scouted delivers the goods or not before bitching?)

FFS...... By citing it in the way you did you are condoning it, you tool.

100 v 50 was literally YOUR evaluation of the Rice deal.... A deal you specifically cited and the was A) ok and B) a "little" (LOL) over-payment. Not my numbers/evaluation.... Or some random tweet or pundit.... YOURs.

Tough shit. YOU caused the resurrection of this matter yourself, by gobbing off with some bullshit about me to other posters. You rattle the proverbial hornet's nest; bit late complaining about it now.

Yawn yawn fucking yawn goodbye

AC Milan and Chelsea have both expressed significant interest in acquiring Gift Orban. While the terms with the player are agreeable, we're still deliberating on whether to proceed with the deal, given his popularity within the club's hierarchy — a likelihood that's heightened. Additionally, we're actively considering alternatives for the same position, particularly two other players whom we're very enthusiastic about for the forward role; however, it's worth noting that these alternatives might come with higher transfer fees compared to Orban.

Navigating player departures is proving to be a challenge, as there's substantial interest in our players. However, the transfer fees being offered are falling short of the club's expectations, particularly in cases where Daniel Levy is involved, or players themselves are not inclined towards a move.

WLB

Imagine they flop the Orban transfer because Levy is refusing to take lower prices for deadwood that needed to be gone years ago.

It’s not hard to imagine really

WLB

WLB - What a load of bollocks?

But, again, they're much more massive than Burnley. The argument for the top 6 to join an ESL is precisely to stop giving so much of their revenue to clubs like Burnley which produce no inherent value themselves. It's classic capitalism - cut free from the dead weight. It's what produced the PL to begin with, just taking to the next logical step.
Hey take it out side franchise boy! You and yer buddy!!!

Last edited:
Maths. Not 'math'
When did math become plural?

The first recorded usage is in 1891. The British abbreviation "Maths" is not recorded until 1911. Based on this it seems reasonable to assume that either both countries developed the abbreviation separately or the British picked up the American abbreviation but then chose to pluralise it.

Trying to keep up, but I've only had time to skim. From what I can tell:

1. We might be getting a DOF from Barca
2. Lloris may be off to join a bunch of Fascists
3. Anti-football Athletico is better to watch than Kompany's Burnley
4. Math has been plural in England for the past 112 years
5. Levy is cheap

Anything else worth noting?

When did math become plural?

The first recorded usage is in 1891. The British abbreviation "Maths" is not recorded until 1911. Based on this it seems reasonable to assume that either both countries developed the abbreviation separately or the British picked up the American abbreviation but then chose to pluralise it.

The process of indulging in mathematical calculations is mathematics.... Maths for short.

That would be ‘deadweight’ Burnley who have won the league as many times as Spurs have , the last time being the year before Spurs last did it?

Back
Top Bottom