Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
But everyone has a different opinion of players - loads called Kane crap for several years.

Maybe others thought Richarison was the best striker available ....... and on that basis paid £60m to secure that rare talent .
Yeah true, maybe he will kick on this season and shine and I’ll be wrong. Let’s hope so

So in hindsight, you agree we should have thrown an extra 10M to get it done and we fucked up?
Of course. We should also have signed Mbappé as a 15 year old. What is this silly game?

To your other post…You want us to overspend on certain players sometimes. How do you know the players worth overspending on in real time?

Of course. We should also have signed Mbappé as a 15 year old. What is this silly game?

To your other post…You want us to overspend on certain players sometimes. How do you know the players worth overspending on in real time?
We weren’t negotiating for a 15 year old Mbappe, we were in for Hazrad and the manager wanted him. We didn’t pay what what was needed and he went Chelsea 6 months later, won the PL twice and was sold for x3 what they paid

You have to trust your DOF and Chief Football Officer to make the call on which players to ‘get done’, let’s hope we can trust Paratici and Munn to make the right calls in the next few weeks

I never said that at all learn to read. I used the rice transfer as an example to pay a little over the odds to get the payer you need/want.

Drop the bullshit.

YOU literally typed those 2 numbers into your keyboard and hit send when YOU were describing the Rice deal..............

That you call that a "little over" is what makes your position not just flawed, but ludicrous....

I also said the same about VVD and Alison but you don’t keep quoting that do you?

How much did Liverpool "overpay" on each of those 2 then?

...And when you're done; stop being a pussy and name the "top striker" you want us to sign.

.........Basically get real.

I plead 100% guilty as charged.

Guess what, American Soccer Hipsters are worth a lot of money to the European game.

But even that notwithstanding, national domestic leagues with promotion and relegation and the decades of history and embedded cultural meaning are a product unto themselves, just smashing the clubs together like they're Marvel action figures is simply not the same thing and if Florentino Perez and MBS and Apple think the marketplace will treat that as the same thing they're going to lose their shirts, IMO.

I get less and less interested in the Champions League every year, Spurs involved or not.

What's true at the Hollywood box office will be true in college football and will be true in the European Super League: cynical, charmless entertainment products will not have their stink go unnoticed by the audience and will be worth less than the sum of their parts.

(Sidebar: those are bad examples. Kompany's Burnley is an objectively better watch than Simeone's Atletico)
American Soccer Hipsters aren't worth what you think they are. Practically everyone who has ever bet on them has lost - ratings aren't what the optimistic take routinely suggests. Everyone thinks they're going to grind casuals into consistent viewers - that's where the US audience becomes immensely valuable. But US casual fans don't know where the fuck Burnley is, it doesn't matter what Kompany's current squad looks like. Atletico, however, is familiar and sounds exotic. They've won big trophies recently, sign players Danny Rose wouldn't have to google, and play in a global cultural capital people fancy visiting.

Speaking of bad examples, digging out the Marvel films as some sort of failure crystalizes why you're struggling to see the inevitability of the ESL. I'm not a fan of the Marvel films, myself, but they've been an unabashed financial goldmine.

The reason it's inevitable was pointed out in my previous post. One of the least successful teams in the NFL, a niche sport, is worth double one of global football's most successful clubs over the past 20 years. If you really think the people that own these clubs are happy to accept that in the interest of preserving tradition, or that they'll allow their supporters customers to tell them they have to accept it, you don't pay as much attention to the world as all your other intelligent takes of global socio-economic politics indicates.

Bloke literally spent several posts arguing that it was fine to pay 100m for a 50m player.

Apparently if that seems like a flawed idea then you've been brainwashed by Levy. 🤡
Th very first thing I asked you was to name the "top ST" that you wanted.... You bottled it with whimpering "I'm not a scout".... As if the world's top STs are some kind of obscure proposition.

Then you said it was ok for Spurs to spend 50m on a 100m and then chased your tail in trying to make that make sense.

Look, I'm not keen to revsit that convo cos it proved a massive waste of time, but balls to you playing the whole thing off like you were the voice of sense and reason and I was quoting Levy rhetoric...... MASSIVE balls to that.

No I bet your not keen to revisit it 😂
What difference does mine or anyone else s opinion on here regarding a striker matter?
As I said I’m not a scout and my knowledge of football outside the premier league is limited so I’m not a good judge of a world wide striker search and it’s completely irrelevant as neither are you, I didn’t bottle anything as you put it I just hope the club have better scouting than guys on a football forum.
I didn’t say it was ok to spend 100m on a 50m player, I used it as a example of paying over the odds to get a good player that you need, if you have to overpay a little for the greater good it would be financially better than 3 cheaper punts imo.

I answered your stupid argument now, I did before but you decided to misunderstand and interpret wrongly so please don’t irritate me any longer

American Soccer Hipsters aren't worth what you think they are. Practically everyone who has ever bet on them has lost - ratings aren't what the optimistic take routinely suggests. Everyone thinks they're going to grind casuals into consistent viewers - that's where the US audience becomes immensely valuable. But US casual fans don't know where the fuck Burnley is, it doesn't matter what Kompany's current squad looks like. Atletico, however, is familiar and sounds exotic. They've won big trophies recently, sign players Danny Rose wouldn't have to google, and play in a global cultural capital people fancy visiting.
That might be the case in Nashville. It’s certainly not the case in New York.
A massive team like Bayern share a venue with a bunch of other continental teams whereas Tottenham packs out its own pub week in and out, Liverpool will pack out multiple venues. I see EPL shirts every day. The only rivals are Barca and Real through their Spanish speaking supporters.

Drop the bullshit.

YOU literally typed those 2 numbers into your keyboard and hit send when YOU were describing the Rice deal..............

That you call that a "little over" is what makes your position not just flawed, but ludicrous....

How much did Liverpool "overpay" on each of those 2 then?

...And when you're done; stop being a pussy and name the "top striker" you want us to sign.

.........Basically get real.

You are soooo fucking dumb 😂😂😂😂
I have literally spelt it out for you like you are a 3 year old and you still can’t grasp it 😂😂😂

“Buttt buttt you put 2 numbers together “
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😆😆😆😆😆😆

This kind disintegrates into categorizing various types of fans which isn't worth our time. I do think you're overrating the prominence of Atletico. Real and Barca have an undeniable cultural cache, at a little bit lesser level you get to the PSG's and Bayern's of the world, but as I said before THE PREMIER LEAGUE is a very strong and identifiable brand in its own right, containing more clubs with intense US followings than the rest of Europe combined.

It makes more financial sense for the PL to compete against the ESL than to join it, I will say it until I'm blue in the face.

Speaking of bad examples, digging out the Marvel films as some sort of failure crystalizes why you're struggling to see the inevitability of the ESL. I'm not a fan of the Marvel films, myself, but they've been an unabashed financial goldmine.
Rapidly decreasingly so. And Marvel is doing better than DC or Star Wars. The economics of franchise schlock have collapsed. The audience have gotten wise that they're the suckers here.

The reason it's inevitable was pointed out in my previous post. One of the least successful teams in the NFL, a niche sport, is worth double one of global football's most successful clubs over the past 20 years. If you really think the people that own these clubs are happy to accept that in the interest of preserving tradition, or that they'll their supporters customers tell them they have to accept it, you don't pay as much attention to the world as all your other intelligent takes of eco-politics indicates.
The NFL never destroyed a pre-existing culturally beloved institution to get to its current unassailable heights. It got there by BEING a pre-existing culturally beloved institution.

The NFL system is a perfect unstoppable machine to pour money into the capital owners pockets. Correct, undeniable statement. I do not believe haphazardly reconstructing European soccer in the NFL's image is a guarantee of a machine that would operate in the same way like you do.

That might be the case in Nashville. It’s certainly not the case in New York.
A massive team like Bayern share a venue with a bunch of other continental teams whereas Tottenham packs out its own pub week in and out, Liverpool will pack out multiple venues. I see EPL shirts every day. The only rivals are Barca and Real through their Spanish speaking supporters.
I'm not really sure what your point is, as you've managed to name only clubs that would be included in any ESL?

:avbcringe:

Where's the NYC Burnley Supporters pub? How packed does it get? The club doesn't list a recognized supporters group outside of England.

Back
Top Bottom