Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Trying to keep up, but I've only had time to skim. From what I can tell:

1. We might be getting a DOF from Barca
2. Lloris may be off to join a bunch of Fascists
3. Anti-football Athletico is better to watch than Kompany's Burnley
4. Math has been plural in England for the past 112 years
5. Levy is cheap

Anything else worth noting?

Its alright to overpay to get players in sometimes

Problem is its for the wrong players . Sometimes. And maybe/maybe not on Richarlison/Other players

Anyone would think people don't have different opinions on players !

If we could swap Dier for Tosin I’d be happy with that but he doesn’t seem to want to come sit on the bench and I definitely respect that.
I don't respect the fact that he doesn't have the confidence to challenge for a starting spot. Wrong attitude in my book.

But, again, they're much more massive than Burnley. The argument for the top 6 to join an ESL is precisely to stop giving so much of their revenue to clubs like Burnley which produce no inherent value themselves. It's classic capitalism - cut free from the dead weight. It's what produced the PL to begin with, just taking to the next logical step.
Saying Burnley has no value to the Premier League is a bit like saying Florida Gulf Coast or whoever has no value to the NCAA Tournament.

As a discrete individual unit, sure, that's mathematically true on some level. People are watching "for" Duke and Kansas.

But the IDEA of a minnow (so long as they are capable of the occasional upset) is inherent to the IDEA of that competition.

No one would ever dream of saying deciding the NCAA championship with best-of-three series between the 30 top college basketball brands (so roughly the same number of games or whatever) would attract higher TV viewership. March Madness IS the attraction to the product.

Same is true of the English top flight, IMHO.

Its alright to overpay to get players in sometimes

Problem is its for the wrong players . Sometimes. And maybe/maybe not on Richarlison/Other players

Anyone would think people don't have different opinions on players !
Noted.

John Oliver Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

When did math become plural?

The first recorded usage is in 1891. The British abbreviation "Maths" is not recorded until 1911. Based on this it seems reasonable to assume that either both countries developed the abbreviation separately or the British picked up the American abbreviation but then chose to pluralise it.

The process of indulging in mathematical calculations is mathematics.... Maths for short.

Mathematics?

It never fails to amaze me how when I come to the transfer thread, what types of random conversations are going on. This one was surprisingly high brow. Well done

Well Done Thank You GIF by Spotify

I don't agree on principle, I think "Englishness" is a more prominent part of the value proposition than you're letting on.

And also 6 is rapidly becoming 7, could be maybe 8, and as I mentioned, clubs like Everton, even West Ham and Fulham, there is some traction elsewhere.

Support for English clubs completely dwarfs the rest of Europe combined in the US.

There is some unique cultural affinity in America of course, but I don't think the fundamentals are entirely different elsewhere. They had a big ass empire, y'know. English is the lingua franca of the world.

What are you talking about? I'm about to stuff my ass like a sardine into a Red Line car overflowing with people going to Wrigley tonight.

You are proposing to end the English football pyramid. People will be mad!
Capitalism has shown a very good history of caring about people being mad! Lol.

For such a smart guy, it's incredible how stubbornly you can bury your head in the sand over this hot take with literally no evidence to support your romantic wish for the future of football. Woolwich produced the 6th highest PL revenue in 21/22: £368M. Spam, who you're trying to wedge into a "big 7", produced 69% of that. Woolwich are closer to United than Spam is to Woolwich.

West Ham's non-PL media revenue was £89M. Atletico's non-media revenue was £169M. Atletico is, on its own 2 feet, nearly twice as valuable as the 7th most valuable PL club. There is no economic theory that would cause a media partner to believe that United v West Ham is a more valuable commercial property than United v Atletico.

Much less Burnley, which occupies a similar PL station as Atletico would occupy in a ESL. Burnley's non-PL media revenue is less than £20M. United and the rest of the top 6 basically pay to keep the lights on at Burnley so they can have someone to play twice a year. Why do that when they can throw in with Atletico , et al who can support themselves, allowing United to keep more of their own produced value and take their annual turnover closer to £800M.

You're grasping, poorly, at a straw global, tradition, that finance has never given a fuck about. Your take on this matter is analogous to Blockbuster refusing to buy Netflix for $50M. You think inertia and tradition will maintain the status quo. Tomorrow will not stand still, my friend.

It's easier if you can also spend a shit loads keep on trying. It's not the amounts man city spend it's how often they can do it
Don't follow your point !
My point was answering a post that said £30m was peanuts for a player. This is absurd and if you look into Europe, teams buy at a much reduced level and then sell them to English teams !! Brighton and others seem to find players for under £30m !

I don't respect the fact that he doesn't have the confidence to challenge for a starting spot. Wrong attitude in my book.
I mean there’s confidence and then there’s being realistic. The two center halves at Spurs cost upwards of £40m and were both bought recently. Van de Ven was prioritized over him, which tells you all you need to know about how Spurs view the two players comparatively.

Meanwhile Monaco are telling him point blank he will start and get to play European football.

Saying Burnley has no value to the Premier League is a bit like saying Florida Gulf Coast or whoever has no value to the NCAA Tournament.

As a discrete individual unit, sure, that's mathematically true on some level. People are watching "for" Duke and Kansas.

But the IDEA of a minnow (so long as they are capable of the occasional upset) is inherent to the IDEA of that competition.

No one would ever dream of saying deciding the NCAA championship with best-of-three series between the 30 top college basketball brands (so roughly the same number of games or whatever) would attract higher TV viewership. March Madness IS the attraction to the product.

Same is true of the English top flight, IMHO.
Your hot takes just get worse and worse. Within a decade the 64 team NCAA tournament and FGC's place in it will be history, overtaken by the new 30-40 team collegiate semi-professional sports league.

Seriously, do you pay attention to anything related to the business of sport at all?

Back
Top Bottom