Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reservations over Romero, Gil, Gollini deals and potentially Tomiyasu/Martinez/Vlahovic?

Just anyone and anything basically...... Unless these lads have scouted players and managers themselves under the radar in France or wherever then it's a firm "no".

My issue with this is, if we signed Ndidi, Justin, Soyuncu, Evans and Maguire at the time Leciester did, a ot of fans on here would have moaned how terrible and unambitious signings they are. A lot of fans want the big names instantly, or they want players like Maddison and Tielemans now, not then because they weren't 'big names'.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And so?

Fans would moan initially anyway. Literally if we'd sign Mbappe for 240 mil - some would moan.
If we'd got Depay on free transfer - some would moan.

What does that has to do with anything?

Also, I don't really recall too many people whining when we signed Alli...

Stats don't mean anything. Lo Celso enables us way more than Dele Alli. It's also why he was brilliant in Copa America, even though he didn't score or assist.
With his one goal and three assists.

Yes they do, they show your worth, for any MF beyond DMF 1 goal and 3 assists in 40 odd matches its pretty shit.

Last edited:
I think the Dele argument depends on what type of analyst you are. Either a class is permanent or form is the only thing that matters.

if you’re a class is permanent type, you’ll look at Dele poor two and half years and say “6 months was a loss of form under Poch he should do much better, the other 18 months he was under Jose started very well so there is a top player in there but he was demotivated due to poor man management. His class will shine through and his form will return now he has a manager who trusts him, as we saw glimpses against woolwich.”

If you’re a form is the only thing that matters type, you’ll look at Dele’s poor two and half years and say “the old Dele is gone let’s give another player a chance because Dele is not producing what the team needs. I think we should consider replacing him, he’s had two top managers and failed to perform under both and there is no guarantee that he will improve. We need players who are going to perform week in week out not bit part players who flash moments of brilliance here and there.”

I think a fair position is in between the two I think Dele is class and that will show but this season is a massive season for him 100% I haven’t seen his game evolve over this two and half year period which is a worry but I do believe he is the player we all loved so I’m hoping he can come back this season prove the doubters wrong. I’m not sure about a deeper role in a midfield 3 for Dele I think he does more damage behind the main striker but I saw good movement and skills against woolwich which give me hope. I’ll support Dele every day he’s at the club.

And so?

Fans would moan initially anyway. Literally if we'd sign Mbappe for 240 mil - some would moan.

Alli was already being tracked by some of the big clubs. It wasn't like he was unknown to the footballing world.

You can't tell me people knew who Mahrez, Kante, Justin, Soyuncu, Ndidi were before Leicester went and signed them?

I'm not saying everyone would moan, but I have seen people on here moan about some of the players we have been linked to because they have never heard of them. It isn't just Spurs fans, the whole big 6 are in the same boat. They let the lesser teams (Southampton, Leicester, Villa) sign a player to see how he gets on, and then if successful, are happy to pay 4-5 times the amount that club paid to buy them, with the odd one being cheaper.

I do agree that sometimes we just need to pay the money to get a player, like Liverpool did with Van Dijk, Alisson and Fabinho. But I also think certain people are too snobby on potential transfers.

And so?

I wasn't here when we signed Dele, but "cheap champo punt", "bargain bin special" etc. are are common knee-jerk complaints round here..... PEH & Rodon being the most recent examples of. The usual suspects have already thrown similar shade on Gil, Giollini and Tomiyasu.

Alli was already being tracked by some of the big clubs. It wasn't like he was unknown to the footballing world.

You can't tell me people knew who Mahrez, Kante, Justin, Soyuncu, Ndidi were before Leicester went and signed them?

I'm not saying everyone would moan, but I have seen people on here moan about some of the players we have been linked to because they have never heard of them. It isn't just Spurs fans, the whole big 6 are in the same boat. They let the lesser teams (Southampton, Leicester, Villa) sign a player to see how he gets on, and then if successful, are happy to pay 4-5 times the amount that club paid to buy them, with the odd one being cheaper.

I do agree that sometimes we just need to pay the money to get a player, like Liverpool did with Van Dijk, Alisson and Fabinho. But I also think certain people are too snobby on potential transfers.

I agree with all what you are saying :thumbup:
I believe that we should have gone for likes of Tielemans etc...

Just my point was that number of moaners have nothing to do or no impact on transfer strategy.
Some people just want to moan and whine. No matter what you do, they will still find a way.

That does not make Leicester track record less impressive. Nor does it excuses our awful track record of past 5 years. Up to now Sessegnon has been prime example of "known player" who we signed but he has been of no use to us, up to this point.

P.S went back and noticed that you mentioned players like Maguire and Tielemans.
I remember well that there was lenghty discussion here on this forum about both of them, and how we should have gone in for both, instead of waiting for them to prove themselves in Leicester shirt.
Same goes for Maddisson and I remember number of mentions of Pereira. So at least there is group who would have been more than happy of taking punt of reasonably-priced players as well ;) .

Yes and no. He's not an Eriksen, Silva, DeBruyne type. But a fully confident Dele is as good at scoring from absolutely nothing as anyone in the league IMO. He can be on the peripheral of a game for ages where we're not getting chances and then score something out of nothing.

My issue with taking the doped clubs out is the self funded clubs become untouchable. I've said it many times, if Chelsea hadn't happened United would have won at least 10 more titles in that period.
The premier league would be as competitive as the Bundeslega where Bayern, save for a couple of blips, have won the title almost every year for decades and just strip their rivals of talent every year at will.
Nah - Liverpool and Woolwich, even us aren’t far behind utd in revenue. 15 years ago maybe but definitely levelled up now

Just my point was that number of moaners have nothing to do or no impact on transfer strategy.
Some people just want to moan and whine. No matter what you do, they will still find a way.

That does not make Leicester track record less impressive. Nor does it excuses our awful track record of past 5 years. Up to now Sessegnon has been prime example of "known player" who we signed but he has been of no use to us, up to this point.

P.S went back and noticed that you mentioned players like Maguire and Tielemans.
I remember well that there was lenghty discussion here on this forum about both of them, and how we should have gone in for both, instead of waiting for them to prove themselves in Leicester shirt.
Same goes for Maddisson and I remember number of mentions of Pereira. So at least there is group who would have been more than happy of taking punt of reasonably-priced players as well ;) .
I think the Tielemans signing was on Poch, not Levy. By all accounts Levy was prepared to sign him, but Poch didn't fancy him. I was tracking Tielemans when he was at Anderlecht, you could tell he was always going to be a top player. £40m was a lot to sign him, but well worth it consider the market today.

I live in Coventry so saw Maddison play at Coventry at lot. He was always destined for the PL, but I'm surrpised how well he did start. He's nowhere near Eriksen levels, and I don't think he will reach that level. Likewise he's not as good as Mount, Grealish and Foden. However, I still think he would have been a good signing, and would get into our XI now.

Maguire I agree with, but at the time we had peak Alderweireld and Vertonghen. We had also signed Sanchez who at the time looked like he could be one of the world's best (fuck me we got it wrong). Sometimes it is just a case of looking at what you have, and seeing whether it's worth the signing. You win some, you lose some.

I'm in the same boat as Martinez at the moment. Although Kane might stay, for £60-70m, I think we have to sign him. He's top draw, built for the Premier League and would give us something different. It's not a priority position to improve on yet (I think centre back and right back is a lot more of a priority) however, if Martinez is offered then we should jump on it. Otherwise he'll end up elsewhere and we'll be strolling around with our tail between our legs.

I think partially the point here is that a lot of peeps herald Leicester & BVB as geniuses to be admired, but the truth is many of those same people simply don't have the stomach for what that actually means from window to window.

I think partially the point here is that a lot of peeps herald Leicester & BVB as geniuses to be admired, but the truth is many of those same people simply don't have the stomach for what that actually means from window to window.
We have the same display picture.. This is a recipe for disaster, and I'm all for it.

I think beating GLC for stats is harsh as he’s a central midfielder, and not actually a very advanced one. I know he had good stats with his Betis loan but that’s because everything Betis did went through him. He’s always been best at driving forward from deep, and I think his best use in what seems to be our new system will be the position Skipp has occupied so far in pre season.

One thing of which I have no doubt is that the talent is there and so is the attitude, it’s a case of fitting him in while also fitting in other midfielders. In the CM3 we’ve seen so far, my question is will he be good enough going backwards as our dual 8s were playing almost like wingbacks, but likewise if Skipp plays there will he be good enough going forward.

I’m actually very comfortable with Dele on the other side, I think it mitigates his weaknesses as he’s not exposed to situations where he will be tempted to overplay, but plays to his strengths- his strength, energy and keenness to drive forward. Whether it works is another matter, I’m no coach and he’s obviously got to re-prove himself. As with all players, most of the battle will be between the ears.

Then there’s Ndombele. The player we were expecting would be fine in this system, perfect for it in fact. But can he be that player? If so then obviously he has a huge contribution to make, but if not then I’m just not sure really.

Yes and no. He's not an Eriksen, Silva, DeBruyne type. But a fully confident Dele is as good at scoring from absolutely nothing as anyone in the league IMO. He can be on the peripheral of a game for ages where we're not getting chances and then score something out of nothing.

My issue with taking the doped clubs out is the self funded clubs become untouchable. I've said it many times, if Chelsea hadn't happened United would have won at least 10 more titles in that period.
The premier league would be as competitive as the Bundeslega where Bayern, save for a couple of blips, have won the title almost every year for decades and just strip their rivals of talent every year at will.
Since then Dele has almost relied on late run into the penalty box, especially his scoring range was limiting to 6 yard box area. But I had the impression that his scoring accuracy has dropped quite a lot.

That’s what you took from that post?
:avbcringe:
I know enic and levy are shiesters, I know they'd sell there grandmother for a bucket of manure. I dont believe Tottenham are responsible for the large amounts of money in the game. I believe that is the fault of the powers that be allowing owners like Abramovich and Abu Dhabi oil blood money Ltd to take over clubs in England. What will happen is the death of competition and supporters walking away. Football will lose its appeal and people will find something else to do. The Premier league will reap the whirlwind

I agree with some comments regarding GLC, he hasn’t impressed me since joining particularly

However he is clearly our most talented midfielder (I disregard ndombelly now) and has clearly got the most potential to be a top player, hopefully he shows it this season

If he gets bored he can always visit the town square.

26894681.jpg

But to be serious for a minute I don't expect him to actually live in Degerfors. Örebro is an actual city and is only 40 kms away so he will probably live around there and commute in for training and games. Like most players. Degerfors stadium literally takes more people than live in the town.
Fucking hell. If someone told me that was North Korea I’d believe it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom