Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it was all down to Spurs that Man city are owned by a state that sponsors itself through dodgy companies, flooding city with blood money. Also down to spurs that Chelsea are owned by a Russian Criminal...right
You could argue that, yes.
If we hadn't instigated money making schemes so frequently then the competition to be richest might never have happened.

Money has always made the difference. Ever since the wage cap was removed the richer clubs have moved further and further away from the less fortunate.

If we get another CM in as reported then Winks wont see any game time.

I think Skipp and PEH will be the trusted soldiers and then joined by one of GLC/Ndombele/Dele.

I'd imagine any new signing will be more defensive minded to rotate with Skipp and PEH as we have the creative options covered.

Dele will be fine in that role against lesser teams while Gio plays the main games. Ndombele is a complete unknown at this point.

If we hadn't instigated money making schemes so frequently then the competition to be richest might never have happened.

Money has always made the difference. Ever since the wage cap was removed the richer clubs have moved further and further away from the less fortunate.

Yet again where this money comes from is conveniently glossed over in favour of a dumbed down "it's all just money" attitude.

was... past tense

When he was a little shit he was playing his best. He then got nice, changed his game and got scared of injuries – relied too heavily on a 'flick'.

Similar to young kids being fearless... wait until they are a bit old and they are never taking up skateboarding
Me think if Poch had of gotten his rebuild and strengthened the MF, Alli would have spent less time defending and losing confidence. with Skipp and PEH, just get a true anchor man and Deli a free role in AMF, even when he's off form he's better than Ndombele/GLC/Bergjwin. 3 players that have done fuck all.

If we get another CM in as reported then Winks wont see any game time.

I think Skipp and PEH will be the trusted soldiers and then joined by one of GLC/Ndombele/Dele.

I'd imagine any new signing will be more defensive minded to rotate with Skipp and PEH as we have the creative options covered.

Dele will be fine in that role against lesser teams while Gio plays the main games. Ndombele is a complete unknown at this point.
Dele was never be that creating force in our midfield.

They'd also shit a tonne of bricks at the idea of selling Kante, Mahrez, Maguire and whoever else is next.
Exactly.

If we had signed Kante and Mahrez when Leicester did, this place would be toxic.

If we then sold them and reinvested similar to Leicester did, it'd be even more toxic.

We're a big club, but not as big as some people make us out to be.

Great, so when the rules are changed to award one goal for every nutmeg successfully performed, he'll be first name on the teamsheet. :)

(Seriously though, if you remove nutmegs from that reel, how many clips would be left?)
Have you seen the stats for GLC goal/assists?

Nowhere near as good as Deli, even when Deli went off form. Same goes for Ndombele.

No way would I play either of those two in AMF ahead of Ali.

Me think if Poch had of gotten his rebuild and strengthened the MF, Alli would have spent less time defending and losing confidence. with Skipp and PEH, just get a true anchor man and Deli a free role in AMF, even when he's off form he's better than Ndombele/GLC/Bergjwin. 3 players that have done fuck all.
For me its clear Dele lost focus of on the pitch
Lots of lovely new tattoos and a new hairstyle and a big social life but forgot to actually perform on the pitch

Anyway he seems to have found his focus again. Wish he'd go back to looking like 16/17 Dele though. 😂

I have absolutely no issue with self funded rich clubs spending more than us eg Utd, Liverpool, Real, even Woolwich

it’s the financially doped that kills me

My issue with this is, if we signed Ndidi, Justin, Soyuncu, Evans and Maguire at the time Leciester did, a ot of fans on here would have moaned how terrible and unambitious signings they are. A lot of fans want the big names instantly, or they want players like Maddison and Tielemans now, not then because they weren't 'big names'.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Fans get on board if you get it right

Last edited:
was... past tense

When he was a little shit he was playing his best. He then got nice, changed his game and got scared of injuries – relied too heavily on a 'flick'.

Similar to young kids being fearless... wait until they are a bit old and they are never taking up skateboarding

I agree. He was great (although had some limitations) when he was young, wild and free. I think multiple things happened to "break" him:

1. Overexposure. I remember him and Dier getting a lot of attention when they were still young and had just broken through. It probably became too much. Some clubs are vary with exposing the young, they tend to try to protect them to prevent the attention from becoming too much.
2. Tactical Discipline. I am guessing our management wanted him to become more tactically disciplined. He was not raised in a big academy, came through at MK Dons, so was likely less "schooled" than those growing up at Spurs or other top clubs. He played like he was playing for fun with friends, and produced some incredible moments of magic. I think he struggled to fit into the mould, and that it stifled his creative side, which was what made him look the most brilliant, and which was what made him happy out there.
3. Avoiding trouble. As you say, he got nice. I myself was a bit of a hot head when I played the game. When I moved to a bigger club than my boyhood club (still at amateur level though!), I tried to become less of a cunt. This left me with less aggression, less desire to win, etc, and had pretty much made me even more shit as a footballer. The same seems to have happened to Dele.
4. Lost confidence. When he first came to Spurs, he was brimming with confidence and felt he could do anything. As the effects of the above started to set in, his confidence eventually shattered, which furthered his decline.
5. Lost interest. As a result of the above, football simply became less fun. A player like Dele, a player who needs to PLAY football, needs to have fun to be great.
6. No support. When his problems became apparent, pundits and fans stopped the praising and instead gave him shit. This made the confidence worse, and the loss of interest worse.

Can he get back to what he was? He has the same ability, I am sure, but being a great football requires the head to be just right. I think it would be damn near impossible to get his mentality back to where he was. He is no longer 20 years old.

TBH I haven't seen GLC do anything beyond a Winks performance. it might be that he's not taken to the PL so easily, but I think it's a bit unfair to give Winks all the shit and to lay off of GLC.
I’ve never seen anyone turn in a performance as bad as Winks cameo against Everton, let alone GLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom