Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Kane a drooling inbred…Christ🤦🏻

PS:
We were the first club to have a shirt sponsor.
We were the first club to have two shirt sponsors.
We were the first club to float on the stock market.
We were the one of the 5 clubs who formed the Premier League.
We were one of the teams who signed up to the ESL.

We are one of the most guilty clubs on the planet of helping to change football into becoming the “money” orientated business model we know today, ironically we got strangled by the beast we helped create….

Harsh I know, and I’m sure you will disagree, but facts are facts, Tottenham Hotspur would sell its soul for profit, always have and always will….
So it was all down to Spurs that Man city are owned by a state that sponsors itself through dodgy companies, flooding city with blood money. Also down to spurs that Chelsea are owned by a Russian Criminal...right

In the end, it's not just down to the scouts as the ultimate decision lies with the manager - Pochettino in this case. And managers also watch the players and scrutinizes scouting analysis.
However much I fancy Pohettino (and I would have taken him back this summer) I have to say that his transfer record is rather so so...
Yes, he had some really good hits: Son and Toby. Dele and Kierran were also good purchases. And I'd say, for the price, of £5m, Dier for while wasn't bad either, nor were Moura and Davies.
Wanyama got his career wrecked by injuries. He was a monster while he lasted.
Spurs recovered the money from Wimmer, and Foyth, And Llorente "got" Spurs into the CL semis.
Gazzaniga joined on a free and was a big hit....among the female supporters 😁 He was ok, but never pushed Lloris for his starting spot.
Vorm did a decent job too as a backup goalie and did a job with the youth apparently.
Pau Lopez never played for Spurs in that 1season but 2 seasons later he was sold by Betis to Roma for €23.5. I bet that one hurt Levy in his pockets.
Yedlin, Stambuli and Fazio were cheap acquisitions BUT they were brought in to strengthen the starting XI. Which they didn't.
Sissoko's been a solid player and played regularly for 3 managers but he cost £30m! Not his fault that Spurs were desperate enough to pay that fee.
N'Jie and Nkoudou were total flops.
The jury is still out on Sessegnon and Clarke.
However, when he managed to get Levy & Lewis to open the "purse" his record is poor. None of the big purchases were anywhere near what was expected of them.
Janssen. 2 goals in 32 games. At least Spurs got £10 back for him.
Lo Celso, has lots of potentials, but he arrived injured and has remained so for 2 seasons. He can still become an excellent signing, so the jury is still out on him...
Sanchez has never really taken to life in the EPL. At £42m this is something Pochettino & co. should have been able to anticipate.
Aurier. He's got talent yes but not the mental focus.
Ndombele.If he's had to the fighting spirit of Wanyama or Dembele he'd be a world-class player. But it's really really poor scouting when the world knew that he had an attitude problem; it was very well known. Why on earth did they still go ahead???

I know that retrospection is a wonderful thing.... but, while Pochettino was at Spurs .... they missed out on huge bargains like the players mentioned below. One would expect that Spurs at least should have gotten 1 or 2 of these players. Leicester got 5 of them.

Mahrez – Le Havre to Leicester in 2014 for £500,000
Kante - Caen to Leicester in 2014 for £5,6m
Van Dijk - Celtic to Soton in 2015 for £10m. Spurs had watched him.
Ndidi – Genk to Leicester in 2017 for £17m
Salah – Chelski to Roma 2016 for £15m (I doubt Chelski would have sold him to Spurs anway); Roma to Liverpool in 2019 for £36.5m (rising to £43m)
Robertson – Hull to Liverpoor 2017 for £8m
Maguire - Hull to Leicester in 2017 for £12 (rising to £17m)
James Maddison – to Leicester 2018 for £20m

So, overall, when considering the players Pochettino spent big money on and the player he "missed" out on, I'd say he was rather poor. But he did "miracles" for Spurs still result-wise, and Spurs - for a while - played maybe the best football in the EPL.

That evaluation has absolutely silk gloves on.

I posted here a comparison with Leicester and ours track record of past 5 seasons (so that will include also last summer where Poch was not at the helm), but the difference was cosmic. Leicester have purchased Fofana, Soyüncu, Pereira, Castagne, Ndidi, Tielmans, Maddisson, Maguire, Evans, Justin across past 5 years. That is 10 good players. 2 per season . Only ones from ours from same period have been Wanyama (could not have seen his injury issues coming) and Hjojberg.

And we have spent same kind of money during this time, btw.

Degerfors website says that it is an initial loan over the rest of the season (Swedish season ends in November). With an option to extend it over the first half of next season, I assume that they will activate it if they stay up.

Could see us extending Alfie's deal in January then once we've seen how he has done out on loan.

That evaluation has absolutely silk gloves on.

I posted here a comparison with Leicester and ours track record of past 5 seasons (so that will include also last summer where Poch was not at the helm), but the difference was cosmic. Leicester have purchased Fofana, Soyüncu, Pereira, Castagne, Ndidi, Tielmans, Maddisson, Maguire, Evans, Justin across past 5 years. That is 10 good players. 2 per season . Only ones from ours from same period have been Wanyama (could not have seen his injury issues coming) and Hjojberg.

And we have spent same kind of money during this time, btw.
My issue with this is, if we signed Ndidi, Justin, Soyuncu, Evans and Maguire at the time Leciester did, a ot of fans on here would have moaned how terrible and unambitious signings they are. A lot of fans want the big names instantly, or they want players like Maddison and Tielemans now, not then because they weren't 'big names'.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Glad its a loan.Hopefully he will good enough in a few years time for the premiership
If he gets bored he can always visit the town square.

26894681.jpg

But to be serious for a minute I don't expect him to actually live in Degerfors. Örebro is an actual city and is only 40 kms away so he will probably live around there and commute in for training and games. Like most players. Degerfors stadium literally takes more people than live in the town.

My issue with this is, if we signed Ndidi, Justin, Soyuncu, Evans and Maguire at the time Leciester did, a ot of fans on here would have moaned how terrible and unambitious signings they are. A lot of fans want the big names instantly, or they want players like Maddison and Tielemans now, not then because they weren't 'big names'.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

They'd also shit a tonne of bricks at the idea of selling Kante, Mahrez, Maguire and whoever else is next.

Still feel he has a place in the team, not as a starter but someone to come on near the end and play tidy strong football. We aren't going to have a bench of world cup winners sat waiting to come on. Winks maybe, just maybe loves the club and is happy to be a part of anything that helps?

I wouldn't be against him staying but as a back-up.
I get the feeling now that he won't be leaving, and if so he needs to step up the performance level of last season. I get what you mean, HG and capable of playing a decent way, but that West Ham sub performance in the 3-3 last season cratered the result for us, or Everton in the cup, if you're to be a good squad player you can't come in and play that badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom