Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you know how many Directors of Football he's had at the club since ENIC took over? Off his own accord and purely his decision made to do so Spaniel?

Off the top of my head Frank Arnesen, Damien Comolli and Franco Baldini have all been given the Director of Football titles whilst Levy has been in charge of the club.
Giving the title is one thing. Allowing them to do their job is another.

So you're now saying Levy employed three of the highest paid staff at the club to do nothing ... yup that sounds like old 'waste all my money' Levy ... do you even consider the logic in what you're posting sometimes?

Levy has always wanted a good DoF - but good ones are rare -

Frank Arnesen was stolen by Chelsea after being illegally tapped up by them - Chelsea settled a court case with us for 5m-8m in 2005 (largest settlement by a country mile at the time)
Damien Comolli left partly because he wasn't very good, but also because Harry Redknapp didn't want to work under a DoF
Franco Baldini (TD rather than a DoF) resigned after failing to bring in quality players not a huge amount of success from his choices of Paulinho, Nacer Chadli, Étienne Capoue, Roberto Soldado, Vlad Chiricheș, Christian Eriksen and Erik Lamela, although 5 years later they look better than they did in 2015.

We are trying very hard to get Luis Campos but he will cost a lot as he's on a long contract with Lille ...

So you're now saying Levy employed three of the highest paid staff at the club to do nothing ... yup that sounds like old 'waste all my money' Levy ... do you even consider the logic in what you're posting sometimes?

Frank Arnesen was stolen by Chelsea after being illegally tapped up by them - Chelsea settled a court case with us for 5m-8m in 2005 (largest settlement by a country mile at the time)
Damien Comolli left partly because he wasn't very good, but also because Harry Redknapp didn't want to work under a DoF
Franco Baldini (TD rather than a DoF) resigned after failing to bring in quality players not a huge amount of success from his choices of Paulinho, Nacer Chadli, Étienne Capoue, Roberto Soldado, Vlad Chiricheș, Christian Eriksen and Erik Lamela, although 5 years later they look better than they did in 2015.

We are trying very hard to get Luis Campos but he will cost a lot as he's on a long contract with Lille ...
This is all new information to me. Thanks for the update.

Agree with your points.

I doibt louis campos would cost much tbh. Hes probably on 5k a week max. The compensation would be small beer for us.

I think he may have alot of offers on the table though

Denis Zakaria: Borussia Mönchengladbach's midfield monster

"I've been compared to [Patrick] Vieira and [Paul] Pogba – two more players I really respect and, in a way, see as role models. When I watch videos of them I think I'd like to play that way," Zakaria said last season. There is plenty more to come from the midfielder and the signs are there that another Vieira or Pogba-styled long-limbed midfielder is on the way. His season-long pass success rate of 91 per cent and 50 per cent of 599 duels won highlight the type of player he's becoming.

You can’t really count Arnesen as he fucked off before we could judge, but Comolli and Baldini arriving both saw big upticks in player transfers.

Added to that, the Baldini era saw transfers happen at a frenetic pace without the usual negotiating shithousery we’d expect from Levy. Which suggests Levy actually may have gotten out of the way in negotiations during this time... maybe this made him feel burnt after the Bale cash was, largely, wasted and he reverted to type after he gave Baldini the heave ho.

I don’t think another DoF is out of the question. Whether they’ll be able to get a handle on Levy’s negotiating style is the bigger question, as is whether they could go for true marquee signings.

If anything, the structure of our transfers is getting more and more complicated and Levy’s gambling habit and need to ‘win’ is as bad as it’s ever been. I was shocked we got Tanguy over the line. Man is a fucking nightmare.

If a DOF was that important to him, he would have got a manager that could work under that system.
Is that ITK?

If a DOF was that important to him, he would have got a manager that could work under that system.

Is that ITK?

He just did - Mourinho is on record saying he likes working with a DoF - bit old now but here's his comments when he joined us.

Jose Mourinho says it is not his decision if Tottenham hire Luis Campos as director of football

as for Campos it's an open secret, surprised you weren't already aware, just look up what Lille have to say about it ... not happy bunnies.

He just did - Mourinho is on record saying he likes working with a DoF - bit old now but here's his comments when he joined us.

Jose Mourinho says it is not his decision if Tottenham hire Luis Campos as director of football

as for Campos it's an open secret, surprised you weren't already aware, just look up what Lille have to say about it ... not happy bunnies.
I've read that before, it doesn't say anything about us working hard to hire Campos as a DOF. He doesn't even say it is not his decision if Tottenham hire Luis Campos as director of football.

The Telegraph pulled that headline out of their arse.

I've read that before, it doesn't say anything about us working hard to hire Campos as a DOF. He doesn't even say it is not his decision if Tottenham hire Luis Campos as director of football.

The Telegraph pulled that headline out of their arse.
As I said read what Geraed Lopez had to say Campos is his member of staff right now .............. or maybe Lille just make stuff up for the hell of it? go with that if it fits your agenda .....

As I said read what Geraed Lopez had to say Campos is his member of staff right now .............. or maybe Lille just make stuff up for the hell of it? go with that if it fits your agenda .....
I don't see anything from Lille in the link you posted. I just no that Mourinho and Campos are friends, so journos assumed we were after him. I'd love to a DOF in but there is no real evidence that we are after a DOF or Campos as a DOF.

We spent 220m in the last two windows ... so why not this year?
Because then it would be about 450m in around a year. I can't see us doing that or that being our new way of doing things. Also it seems like levy/enic don't think we now need to spend massive amounts & our team is pretty good. It will be interesting how much mourinho wants to spend & how much he gets. He has already gone from title winning team to moaning about what he has in just a few months. Also if we don't get CL I am not sure if that will dent what we can spend. Finishing top 5 is probably 50/50 at the moment.

Because then it would be about 450m in around a year. I can't see us doing that or that being our new way of doing things. Also it seems like levy/enic don't think we now need to spend massive amounts & our team is pretty good. It will be interesting how much mourinho wants to spend & how much he gets. He has already gone from title winning team to moaning about what he has in just a few months. Also if we don't get CL I am not sure if that will dent what we can spend. Finishing top 5 is probably 50/50 at the moment.

I think you will see a net spend at around 100m again, if we add 4 or 5 players then 4 or 5 must leave the squad as well, not sure who or for how much just depends who we buy.

Mourinho has lost Kane, Son, Lloris, Sissoko, Davies all very probable starters, whilst all teams suffer injuries to have your two leading scorers both out long term at once is unusual ...

This has show that A) we 100% need another striker and B) Mourinho needs more time to get the team playing how he wants, in fact that probably won't now be until 2020/21 ... that said there is no reason we can't still get top four/five and challenge for a trophy ... huge ask but still doable.

One season out of the CL won't hurt much, especially if we have EL football ... but as Woolwich have shown miss out for a couple of years and that loss starts to bite.

Denis Zakaria: Borussia Mönchengladbach's midfield monster

"I've been compared to [Patrick] Vieira and [Paul] Pogba – two more players I really respect and, in a way, see as role models. When I watch videos of them I think I'd like to play that way," Zakaria said last season. There is plenty more to come from the midfielder and the signs are there that another Vieira or Pogba-styled long-limbed midfielder is on the way. His season-long pass success rate of 91 per cent and 50 per cent of 599 duels won highlight the type of player he's becoming.

Have we ever been linked to him, or are we as fans just hoping for him?

You can’t really count Arnesen as he fucked off before we could judge, but Comolli and Baldini arriving both saw big upticks in player transfers.

Added to that, the Baldini era saw transfers happen at a frenetic pace without the usual negotiating shithousery we’d expect from Levy. Which suggests Levy actually may have gotten out of the way in negotiations during this time... maybe this made him feel burnt after the Bale cash was, largely, wasted and he reverted to type after he gave Baldini the heave ho.

I don’t think another DoF is out of the question. Whether they’ll be able to get a handle on Levy’s negotiating style is the bigger question, as is whether they could go for true marquee signings.

If anything, the structure of our transfers is getting more and more complicated and Levy’s gambling habit and need to ‘win’ is as bad as it’s ever been. I was shocked we got Tanguy over the line. Man is a fucking nightmare.

I would absolutely disagree over Frank Arnesen. Brought in over 20 players in the summer to help totally transform Spurs together with coach Martin Jol who got us to 2 successive 5th places, at the time our highest league finishes for over 20 years. Big success as DoF despite being here for only a year or less

Bringing in that number of players - half for the first team and half as a development stars on a relatively limited budget meant that quality was mixed - but that included Carrick (who wanted out after a season to join ManU) whose sale realised £16m of which £10m was invested in Berbatov, so the player trading opportunities to develop the squad further that we got from Arnesen's summer shouldn't be under estimated.

Absolute hammer blow when Chelsea tapped him up, but I'd suggest he played a big part in starting the change in Spurs from lower PL table fodder to our current status.

Levy is a businessman - and with a brand new stadium to fill and sponsorships waiting to be signed providing we have a successful team, and Cl money providing we have a top 4 team, its absolutely going to be on his agenda to spend money to get an improved squad and fill gaping holes.

Its not an unlimited budget, but the next set of accounts (due out end March/start April) are very likely to show an increase from last years results. And that means than another £100m net spend plus whatever we get from sales (lets guess at £50m from some of Wanyama, Rose, Sissoko, Lamela, Aurier,) is perfectly possible.

So expect we can get players of similar calibre to last summer and January transfer windows :

1. Ndombele - £55m (CM)
2 Lo Celso - £41m (AM/CM)
3. Bergwijn - £27m (AM)
4. Clarke - £10m (AM)
5. Sessegnon - £25m (LB/LW)
6. Gedson - £ 4m (DM)
7. Tanganga - Free (CB/RB/LB) Academy product
Total £162m

Incidentally I'm not sure that our finishing position this year affects our spend or desire to get in good players - if we don't invest in the summer chances of getting top 4 next season recede and with it future cl revenues. So in Levy's interests to invest. As much a question of player availability as anything else as to who we sign though

Back
Top Bottom