Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Priority has to be a defensive midfielder. We need a cunty, enforcer type player to win possession, clean up mess and provide Ndombele and Lo Celso with more freedom. We need a player of Kante's quality to unlock the potential of our other players. Realistically looking at somewhere around £50m for the type of player we need.

We obviously have issues at fullback. Aurier is a liability and Davies isn't good enough. You're probably looking at £80m-£90m to upgrade RB and LB.

We're sorted for wingers. Son, Lucas, Lamela and Bergwijn give us real strength in depth.

Kane's body obviously can't hack an entire season as he has been injured for a large portion for every season over the last few years. But we definitely need a back up striker if Mourinho doesn't think that Parrott is ready then we need to have a quality option to come off the bench and act as back up. It's obviously not going to be a world class, young forward, more of a 'towards the end of career' Llorente type who is happy to play the odd cup game and fill in when needed whilst making decent money. £25m? Fuck knows who though. The alternative would be to get rid of Lucas/Lamela and sign someone who will start week in, week out on the wing but can also play as a forward... i.e. fucking Dybala. In which case, £70m.

We'll also need a new CB at some point. Jan looks like he's on his way out and Toby who is 31 in a couple of weeks won't be around forever. Sanchez looks like he's improving and Japhet looks like he's going to be quality but we need a third youngster to replace Jan. Probably looking at £30m.

So we're probably looking at £200m-£250m to get to the level we need to be at in order to seriously compete for proper silverware. We should be able to raise the best part of £100m by selling the players who are surplus to requirements so I guess the question is how much is Levy prepared to invest. I can't imagine he'd bring someone like Mourinho to the club and not back him in the summer.

Priority has to be a defensive midfielder. We need a cunty, enforcer type player to win possession, clean up mess and provide Ndombele and Lo Celso with more freedom. We need a player of Kante's quality to unlock the potential of our other players. Realistically looking at somewhere around £50m for the type of player we need.

We obviously have issues at fullback. Aurier is a liability and Davies isn't good enough. You're probably looking at £80m-£90m to upgrade RB and LB.

We're sorted for wingers. Son, Lucas, Lamela and Bergwijn give us real strength in depth.

Kane's body obviously can't hack an entire season as he has been injured for a large portion for every season over the last few years. But we definitely need a back up striker if Mourinho doesn't think that Parrott is ready then we need to have a quality option to come off the bench and act as back up. It's obviously not going to be a world class, young forward, more of a 'towards the end of career' Llorente type who is happy to play the odd cup game and fill in when needed whilst making decent money. £25m? Fuck knows who though. The alternative would be to get rid of Lucas/Lamela and sign someone who will start week in, week out on the wing but can also play as a forward... i.e. fucking Dybala. In which case, £70m.

We'll also need a new CB at some point. Jan looks like he's on his way out and Toby who is 31 in a couple of weeks won't be around forever. Sanchez looks like he's improving and Japhet looks like he's going to be quality but we need a third youngster to replace Jan. Probably looking at £30m.

So we're probably looking at £200m-£250m to get to the level we need to be at in order to seriously compete for proper silverware. We should be able to raise the best part of £100m by selling the players who are surplus to requirements so I guess the question is how much is Levy prepared to invest. I can't imagine he'd bring someone like Mourinho to the club and not back him in the summer.

So who are these players who are worth £100m we are selling ?

Wanyama £10m (one year left on contract and probably this is optimistic)
Lamela £20m (history of injuries and will be 28 soon)
Sissoko £20m (Will be 30 soon, so next contract may be his last, no resale)
Rose £10m (one year left on contract and probably this is optimistic)
Aurier £30m
Dier £20m (One year left on contract, not in great playing condition)

I'm pretty sure Levy would be delighted if all these left.....and at those prices.
But Wanyama refused to leave to go to Bruges in the summer despite £65k wages on offer, Rose on record of wanting to see his contract run out

My guess is we will be very lucky to see £50m most times or £75m if we are exceptionally lucky - there's even a risk we end up having to pay the likes of Wanyama or Rose to leave.

Whilst I can see Levy putting in £100m to proceeds of player sales, I suspect we will not be able to get all the players we want in one window,

No way we spend 200m plus. Maybe 150m if levy/ENIC lose their minds in a summer heatwave. But you are right, we are about 250m from winning league titles & or CL trophies.

So Barca lost dembele all season and were able to sign a player 3 weeks after the window closed. How does that work?? If that’s the case shouldn’t levy and Jose be looking at players to get in with Son and Kane out??

So Barca lost dembele all season and were able to sign a player 3 weeks after the window closed. How does that work?? If that’s the case shouldn’t levy and Jose be looking at players to get in with Son and Kane out??
It's a special rule within La Liga. They were allowed to buy a player from within La Liga or a player that is currently a free agent (could still have bought a free agent at any time).

In getting Braithwaite in they have more or less relegated Leganes since he was their top scorer. And Leganes are not allowed to get a replacement in either.

The prem doesn't have a rule like that I think. We could of course get a free agent striker but there aren't exactly any sexy names running about without contracts (Diafra Sakho, Victor Anichebe, Giuseppe Rossi).

There will need to be a fire sale to balance the books, Sané wants out anyway and Jesus seems like he will go wherever the money is, hopefully now FFP is being enforced wages will drop and if they do surely now we are at a level where we can be competitive with clubs that aren’t funded by oil states?
Love to see him on our left wing!

I think Levy is too much of a control freak for that too happen.

Do you know how many Directors of Football he's had at the club since ENIC took over? Off his own accord and purely his decision made to do so Spaniel?

Off the top of my head Frank Arnesen, Damien Comolli and Franco Baldini have all been given the Director of Football titles whilst Levy has been in charge of the club.

Back
Top Bottom