Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would absolutely disagree over Frank Arnesen. Brought in over 20 players in the summer to help totally transform Spurs together with coach Martin Jol who got us to 2 successive 5th places, at the time our highest league finishes for over 20 years. Big success as DoF despite being here for only a year or less

Bringing in that number of players - half for the first team and half as a development stars on a relatively limited budget meant that quality was mixed - but that included Carrick (who wanted out after a season to join ManU) whose sale realised £16m of which £10m was invested in Berbatov, so the player trading opportunities to develop the squad further that we got from Arnesen's summer shouldn't be under estimated.

Absolute hammer blow when Chelsea tapped him up, but I'd suggest he played a big part in starting the change in Spurs from lower PL table fodder to our current status.
Fair enough. You’re being very kind imo. We finished 9th in 04/05 and most of that 20 were complete and utter flops... none of the youth made it and we had Stella names such as Edman, Pamarot, Andy “Pieman” Reid and Sean Davis in there... Jesus... It’s more like hit and hope to me.

Carrick, Robinson and Dawson were the standout with Naybet and Mendes being good pros.

If I was to be generous myself I’d say he probably had a good part in scouting the 05/06 list of incomings, assuming we didn’t change tack, which is where those two 5th places came from... Davids, Lennon, Tainio, Murphy, YP Lee, Huddlestone...

But to each his own I guess. For me he was a fucking merc and we’ll never know what would have happened if he’d have stayed.

We haven't been linked, but the right back I really want us to get is Dumfries from PSV.

He's their captain,fast, strong, 6'2" so perfect for Mourinho and also their top scorer
It's not a solid argument against him from my part, but I saw an international match of the Netherlands last season and his performance was the worst I saw of any player during 2019 by far, like a shambolic level of bad. It was so bad that I looked up who he was so I wouldn't forget.

Ricardo Pereira always looks good at RB any time I see Leicester.
They would probably be asking a fair wedge for him if they were listening to offers.

Fair enough. You’re being very kind imo. We finished 9th in 04/05 and most of that 20 were complete and utter flops... none of the youth made it and we had Stella names such as Edman, Pamarot, Andy “Pieman” Reid and Sean Davis in there... Jesus... It’s more like hit and hope to me.

Carrick, Robinson and Dawson were the standout with Naybet and Mendes being good pros.

If I was to be generous myself I’d say he probably had a good part in scouting the 05/06 list of incomings, assuming we didn’t change tack, which is where those two 5th places came from... Davids, Lennon, Tainio, Murphy, YP Lee, Huddlestone...

But to each his own I guess. For me he was a fucking merc and we’ll never know what would have happened if he’d have stayed.

But you don't doubt Jol being brought in by Arnesen and as I say the coach who brought us in his first complete season our best finish for over 20 years in 5th - and repeated the 5th place in his 3rd complete season with another best for 20 years 5th place (his first season was to succeed Santini who failed to integrate the squad Arnesen delivered to him) ? And to remind you, had Lasagnegate not occurred Spurs would have been in CL a decade before we did ?

And ignore Arnesen buying Carrick who's sale at £16m (versus purchase at £4m) and Spurs record sale at the time leading to Spurs buying to Spurs buying Bertbatov for £10m ?

And indeed Mendes for the 'no goal' a metre over the goalline at Manu ?

And by the way his squad buying led to Spurs more than doubling our money when the squad was sold - allowing us to bring in other, better players.

I never said he solved every problems. Simply said that after Arnesen's appointment as DoF that Spurs were on an upward curve thereafter and for that he started that curve and deserves significant recognition.

No Arnesaen, No Jol and minimal player trading abilities. In short no 5th place and Spurs looking for a way to find a way up.

Rewrite history as you like, the facts are that Arnesen was a crucial part in Spurs revival over the last 20 years or so.

The good thing is that we only really need 4 signings to fully rejuvenate the squad. A pair of fullbacks, an alternate striker, and a good DM. We have the wings and midfield covered, and I think with tanganga's emergence we're decently covered at CB too; with Toby agreeing a new deal and Sanchez going close to god-mode this season (have foyth and Dier in that position too, plus maybe Jan). DM has to be first priority, another striker being the second, and then get the fullbacks. We get that lot in and suddenly Ndombele and Lo Celso will start running games on their own.

Can sell a bunch of deadwood too to trim it down.

Willian has made a few statements reg: Mourinho recently and apparently he has renewed lease of his house in London. Possible free transfer to Spurs in the Summer.

Willian and Muriqi (while selling Lamela to offset some of the Muriqi $) should be very doable
Sell Dier and get Hojberg. Release Vertonghen and Wanyama

Sell Rose and get Grimaldo, Tanganga shouldn't be wasted in LB

Aurier at RB seems fine as long as he isn't given too much defensive duties.

We are a stone's throw away from a very strong cohesive squad that has enough depth to not be derailed by injuries next season

Willian has made a few statements reg: Mourinho recently and apparently he has renewed lease of his house in London. Possible free transfer to Spurs in the Summer.

Willian and Muriqi (while selling Lamela to offset some of the Muriqi $) should be very doable
Sell Dier and get Hojberg. Release Vertonghen and Wanyama

Sell Rose and get Grimaldo, Tanganga shouldn't be wasted in LB

Aurier at RB seems fine as long as he isn't given too much defensive duties.

We are a stone's throw away from a very strong cohesive squad that has enough depth to not be derailed by injuries next season
Willian is poor and has been for a few years, 1 in 10 player and raises his game against us. Listen to how the Chavs talk about him, he is done.

Willian is poor and has been for a few years, 1 in 10 player and raises his game against us. Listen to how the Chavs talk about him, he is done.
still think he is good for a short term 2 year contract... importantly is someone who would raise his game for Mourinho
won't be a starter but can do a better job than Lamela does for us off the bench as an impact player

realistically Levy isn't going to sanction any big transfer spending..there are better players out there, but not much 'value'

still think he is good for a short term 2 year contract... importantly is someone who would raise his game for Mourinho
won't be a starter but can do a better job than Lamela does for us off the bench as an impact player

realistically Levy isn't going to sanction any big transfer spending..there are better players out there, but not much 'value'
I really don't think he is, I'm a big believer that other fans know their players better than those outside the club and almost to a man Chelsea fans think he was done a few years ago.... A waste of wages.

But you don't doubt Jol being brought in by Arnesen and as I say the coach who brought us in his first complete season our best finish for over 20 years in 5th - and repeated the 5th place in his 3rd complete season with another best for 20 years 5th place (his first season was to succeed Santini who failed to integrate the squad Arnesen delivered to him) ? And to remind you, had Lasagnegate not occurred Spurs would have been in CL a decade before we did ?

And ignore Arnesen buying Carrick who's sale at £16m (versus purchase at £4m) and Spurs record sale at the time leading to Spurs buying to Spurs buying Bertbatov for £10m ?

And indeed Mendes for the 'no goal' a metre over the goalline at Manu ?

And by the way his squad buying led to Spurs more than doubling our money when the squad was sold - allowing us to bring in other, better players.

I never said he solved every problems. Simply said that after Arnesen's appointment as DoF that Spurs were on an upward curve thereafter and for that he started that curve and deserves significant recognition.

No Arnesaen, No Jol and minimal player trading abilities. In short no 5th place and Spurs looking for a way to find a way up.

Rewrite history as you like, the facts are that Arnesen was a crucial part in Spurs revival over the last 20 years or so.
Sorry mate, no, I don’t agree with much of that. Arnesen didn’t start the positive trend, our chairman did. False starts along the way for sure but Levy has been working at this project for two decades. Arnesen was just another employee.

We lack strikers. It is the biggest nonsense I have ever known.

Fcuk me we can go on all day long but if Liverpool were without Mane and Salah for too long they would not be the team they are

People on here are missing the point

Last edited:
Pretty much.

Debate about tactics, personnel is all pointless.

The big picture is as jose says. We lost 75pc of our firepower.

And yet people on here just want to lay blame elsewhere.

Of course we need even more but failing to see the damage of losing Kane and Son (who is also NOT a striker) is abandonment of common sense.

Parrott needs to go out on loan, we need a 3rd back-up and a player who pushes Kane for a starting place.

The cost outweighs the damage of not having a focal point up top. Not rocket science.

Last edited:
It's not a solid argument against him from my part, but I saw an international match of the Netherlands last season and his performance was the worst I saw of any player during 2019 by far, like a shambolic level of bad. It was so bad that I looked up who he was so I wouldn't forget.
Great name though - Denzel Dumfries

Back
Top Bottom