Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So who are these players who are worth £100m we are selling ?

Wanyama £10m (one year left on contract and probably this is optimistic)
Lamela £20m (history of injuries and will be 28 soon)
Sissoko £20m (Will be 30 soon, so next contract may be his last, no resale)
Rose £10m (one year left on contract and probably this is optimistic)
Aurier £30m
Dier £20m (One year left on contract, not in great playing condition)

I'm pretty sure Levy would be delighted if all these left.....and at those prices.
But Wanyama refused to leave to go to Bruges in the summer despite £65k wages on offer, Rose on record of wanting to see his contract run out

My guess is we will be very lucky to see £50m most times or £75m if we are exceptionally lucky - there's even a risk we end up having to pay the likes of Wanyama or Rose to leave.

Whilst I can see Levy putting in £100m to proceeds of player sales, I suspect we will not be able to get all the players we want in one window,
Apart from the guys you have listed above, I would not rule out the entertaining of bids for some other players who have been getting a good deal of playing time under Mourinho. Reluctant to be more specific than that, because I don't want to upset anyone.

Apart from the guys you have listed above, I would not rule out the entertaining of bids for some other players who have been getting a good deal of playing time under Mourinho. Reluctant to be more specific than that, because I don't want to upset anyone.

Cant disagree with that - but if they have been playing regularly then they need to be replaced.

So the question is how much do we sell our current player for and how much is his replacement - so how much of the transfer 'budget' does it cost.

Of all the players I've listed who might be sold, it would not surprise me (in fact I expect it) to find that a third or so of them are not sold and remain squad players next season

Levy is a businessman - and with a brand new stadium to fill and sponsorships waiting to be signed providing we have a successful team, and Cl money providing we have a top 4 team, its absolutely going to be on his agenda to spend money to get an improved squad and fill gaping holes.

Its not an unlimited budget, but the next set of accounts (due out end March/start April) are very likely to show an increase from last years results. And that means than another £100m net spend plus whatever we get from sales (lets guess at £50m from some of Wanyama, Rose, Sissoko, Lamela, Aurier,) is perfectly possible.

So expect we can get players of similar calibre to last summer and January transfer windows :

1. Ndombele - £55m (CM)
2 Lo Celso - £41m (AM/CM)
3. Bergwijn - £27m (AM)
4. Clarke - £10m (AM)
5. Sessegnon - £25m (LB/LW)
6. Gedson - £ 4m (DM)
7. Tanganga - Free (CB/RB/LB) Academy product
Total £162m

Incidentally I'm not sure that our finishing position this year affects our spend or desire to get in good players - if we don't invest in the summer chances of getting top 4 next season recede and with it future cl revenues. So in Levy's interests to invest. As much a question of player availability as anything else as to who we sign though
Yeah I agree with most BUT surely a lot depends on how good levy thinks the current team/squad is? If he thinks it should be comfortably getting top 4 then I don't think he will get us spending big in the summer. But we shall see. If he has finally admitted he over rated this team & the 'no signings summer' was a mistake on his part, then yeah maybe he will spend a decent amount to try to get us closer to where we were a few seasons ago. We have gone a bit backwards from him not kicking on with this team. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson & realises you have to keep signing players to stop yourself standing still & allowing others to overtake you. Fingers crossed we will spend a lot. But lot's said no way will we not sign anyone, no way will we not sign a striker. Then they were shocked when levy did exactly that.

Yeah I agree with most BUT surely a lot depends on how good levy thinks the current team/squad is? If he thinks it should be comfortably getting top 4 then I don't think he will get us spending big in the summer. But we shall see. If he has finally admitted he over rated this team & the 'no signings summer' was a mistake on his part, then yeah maybe he will spend a decent amount to try to get us closer to where we were a few seasons ago. We have gone a bit backwards from him not kicking on with this team. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson & realises you have to keep signing players to stop yourself standing still & allowing others to overtake you. Fingers crossed we will spend a lot. But lot's said no way will we not sign anyone, no way will we not sign a striker. Then they were shocked when levy did exactly that.

Not disagreeing with that, standing still is never good in a fast moving business, do you think Liverpool's zero spend last summer will come back to bite them? or are they good enough to get away with it?

No problem with most of that - but think the problem is that after summer 2015 (and before summer 2019), although some 20 players came into Spurs only Sanchez, Sissoko and one or two made an impression on the first team (in 6 or 7 TW's), so problem is longer term than 2018 when its known we tried to recruit Frenkie to Jong and Jack Grealish (and maybe more who knows) but e Jong wanted to wait for Barcelona whilst Grealish deal got canned by new Villa owners wanting to keep him to get to PL (worth £100m+ to them) so weren't interested in £25m or any normal sum for Grealish. So end result of the 4 years is a squad which hasn't had much of a refresh, over played fatigued star players and too many squad players.

Levy will have been advised the squad needs a rebuild so this TW don't see a problem in getting good players in providing total cost less than (say) £100m + sales.

Striker in January was a problem question :
- what's the chances of Son being injured before Kane back in April (say 8 weeks time) ?
- none of the strikers available looked top quality so not sure I'd want to pay to get one on a 5 year deal ideally. Piatek on a loan with option to buy looked the best alternative until newly cash rich Hertha bought him outright which other clubs had also rejected as an option.

William Jose 30% owned by a 3rd party and turned down by Barcelona who bought a Midlesbrough reject instead - maybe nasty clauses demanded by club or player in a purchase contract, your guess is as good as mine.

My compromise might have been Jarrod Bowen, HG and great goalscoring winger (but not fast) for £20m and reputedly scouted by Spurs, possibly bringing forward spend from the summer, but I can understand Mourhino not thinking that was a way forward.

ManU bought Ighalo back from China, not sure the 30 odd year old ex Watford striker was that much of a catch, and equally Barcelona buying the ex Boro flop. Odds on neither scoring more that 2 goals each before the summer ?

Last edited:
Not disagreeing with that, standing still is never good in a fast moving business, do you think Liverpool's zero spend last summer will come back to bite them? or are they good enough to get away with it?
Yeah I think it was totally different with them as they just win the CL & got a huge points total in the league. As well as breaking world records for GK & CB. They have risked it from a position of strength. But even then they still bought in january. I think klopp realised you need to keep things ticking over. So I think they will keep spending in the summer. If they don't spend this summer then I think 1 signing in 3 windows will come back to bite them. I think it will start going a bit stale if they don't buy again this summer. It will also depend on who leaves. Be good if a key player or 2 went abroad! But less chance than with us, as they actually win things under their owners & manager. They have timed it well, bet they couldn't believe their luck getting us in the final & now city dropping a couple of levels. Its been so easy for them to win the league.

Last edited:
No problem with most of that - but think the problem is that after summer 2015 (and before summer 2019), although some 20 players came into Spurs only Sanchez, Sissoko and one or two made an impression on the first team (in 6 or 7 TW's), so problem is longer term than 2018 when its known we tried to recruit Frenkie to Jong and Jack Grealish (and maybe more who knows) but e Jong wanted to wait for Barcelona whilst Grealish deal got canned by new Villa owners wanting to keep him to get to PL (worth £100m+ to them) so weren't interested in £25m or any normal sum for Grealish. So end result of the 4 years is a squad which hasn't had much of a refresh, over played fatigued star players and too many squad players.

Levy will have been advised the squad needs a rebuild so this TW don't see a problem in getting good players in providing total cost less than (say) £100m + sales.

Striker in January was a problem question :
- what's the chances of Son being injured before Kane back in April (say 8 weeks time) ?
- none of the strikers available looked top quality so not sure I'd want to pay to get one on a 5 year deal ideally. Piatek on a loan with option to buy looked the best alternative until newly cash rich Hertha bought him outright which other clubs had also rejected as an option.

William Jose 30% owned by a 3rd party and turned down by Barcelona who bought a Midlesbrough reject instead - maybe nasty clauses demanded by club or player in a purchase contract, your guess is as good as mine.

My compromise might have been Jarrod Bowen, great goalscoring winger (but not fast) for £20m and reputedly scouted by Spurs, possibly bringing forward spend from the summer, but I can understand Mourhino not thinking that was a way forward.

ManU bought Ighalo back from China, not sure the 30 odd year old ex Watford striker was that much of a catch, and equally Barcelona buying the ex Boro flop. Odds on neither scoring more that 2 goals each before the summer ?
Yeah true but it was a big risk only having 1 proper striker to start with. We risked it & it backfired so at the end of the day its more mis-management. If we are happy with son/Lucas as cover for kane then no reason to buy a striker in the summer. If we aren't happy with that then we should have got 1 in the summer & once again.... more examples of them getting it wrong.

Yeah true but it was a big risk only having 1 proper striker to start with. We risked it & it backfired so at the end of the day its more mis-management. If we are happy with son/Lucas as cover for kane then no reason to buy a striker in the summer. If we aren't happy with that then we should have got 1 in the summer & once again.... more examples of them getting it wrong.

I can understand the argument that a pure striker wont get much game time when Harry wants to play all the games he can.

But my answer to that is that the manager needs to chat to Harry to agree how many games its worth him playing to keep him at the top of his game (and similarly have a similar conversation with Southgate to limit Harry's involvement both in E friendlies and qualifying games)- and lets say that means Harry agreeing to play 45-50 games a season, leaving at least 15 games to play a different striking option

Also need to consider Parrott maybe playing as a back up from next season (probably only 10-15 games in minutes though, which might be 20+ appearances).

So the logic of Son as a back up striker is fine - but imo we needed a better back up to Son. We now have Son's back up in Bergwijn, but I'd argue we are still one short at AM if we only have one striker with only Moura, Lamela and Dele as AM's - and of course we really needed Bergwijn earlier in the season so as to rotate Kane and Son in and out of the squad to rest them in the first half of the season.

However if you go back in this thread, the number of people demanding a DM and RB before AM/striker reinforcements is huge. Problem, as I think we are both agreeing on is that we need a few good players in despite us having a large squad so agreeing on which is the priority position is not always obvious - and the large squad is because its got too many players in who really are not good enough for one reason or another (injury prone Lamela, limited technically Sissoko, wannaway Rose, injured Wanyama etc, accident prone Aurier etc ). Which in turn feeds back to my argument that from summer 2015 through to summer 2019, our transfer record is poor - which has meant our squad management has been poor.

Al this not helped by only bringing into the first team one academy product in 5 years (Winks) versus the one a year before that. Most of those 'one a year stayed' in the squad for a few years before being sold - but Townsend, Bentaleb, Mason , Carroll, Livermore et al whilst not sold individually for mega fees raised £100m+ for us. By not bringing youngsters through we've had to spend £100m or so on squad players - so a turnround in cash flow of £200m. , And that £200m could have (with better scouting/buying) could have meant buying better players in the last 4 years or so, which would have improved todays squad in a few positions.

But we are where we are. So need to spend money to rebuild the squad - and I hope find a 'Tanganga a year' to bring through from the youth. Over a few years getting one or two youngsters a year through into the first team makes quite a difference and reduces the number of players we need to buy.

And a DoF and analytics department is probably a 'must' too

We've all seen his memory status, he says he's retiring, I suspect he may be 'being retired'...

iu

Spaniel Spaniel ... The NHS can't afford all the extra scissors he keeps losing!
Shit! Outed.....

Why the fuck not. There is probably going to be a mass exodus from them with players possibly able to leave for free. No CL football, possible points deduction and even potential bankruptcy from not being able to use ‘sponsorship’ to fund their huge wage bill. They are going to be like a fat elephant on the African plains who has just died, vultures will be everywhere including us.

City will appeal and buy their way out of this problem. They have deeper pockets than UEFA and can afford better lawyers
In the end it might come down to a fine but I'm sure they'll be in the CL next season. Can't see a point deduction either. I know this all sounds cynical but the bottom line is money talks and they will make UEFA an offer they can't refuse. It's all so corrupt.

Levy is a businessman - and with a brand new stadium to fill and sponsorships waiting to be signed providing we have a successful team, and Cl money providing we have a top 4 team, its absolutely going to be on his agenda to spend money to get an improved squad and fill gaping holes.

Its not an unlimited budget, but the next set of accounts (due out end March/start April) are very likely to show an increase from last years results. And that means than another £100m net spend plus whatever we get from sales (lets guess at £50m from some of Wanyama, Rose, Sissoko, Lamela, Aurier,) is perfectly possible.

So expect we can get players of similar calibre to last summer and January transfer windows :

1. Ndombele - £55m (CM)
2 Lo Celso - £41m (AM/CM)
3. Bergwijn - £27m (AM)
4. Clarke - £10m (AM)
5. Sessegnon - £25m (LB/LW)
6. Gedson - £ 4m (DM)
7. Tanganga - Free (CB/RB/LB) Academy product
Total £162m

Incidentally I'm not sure that our finishing position this year affects our spend or desire to get in good players - if we don't invest in the summer chances of getting top 4 next season recede and with it future cl revenues. So in Levy's interests to invest. As much a question of player availability as anything else as to who we sign though
I really hope you're right
It's my heart versus my brain.

I can understand the argument that a pure striker wont get much game time when Harry wants to play all the games he can.

But my answer to that is that the manager needs to chat to Harry to agree how many games its worth him playing to keep him at the top of his game (and similarly have a similar conversation with Southgate to limit Harry's involvement both in E friendlies and qualifying games)- and lets say that means Harry agreeing to play 45-50 games a season, leaving at least 15 games to play a different striking option

Also need to consider Parrott maybe playing as a back up from next season (probably only 10-15 games in minutes though, which might be 20+ appearances).

So the logic of Son as a back up striker is fine - but imo we needed a better back up to Son. We now have Son's back up in Bergwijn, but I'd argue we are still one short at AM if we only have one striker with only Moura, Lamela and Dele as AM's - and of course we really needed Bergwijn earlier in the season so as to rotate Kane and Son in and out of the squad to rest them in the first half of the season.

However if you go back in this thread, the number of people demanding a DM and RB before AM/striker reinforcements is huge. Problem, as I think we are both agreeing on is that we need a few good players in despite us having a large squad so agreeing on which is the priority position is not always obvious - and the large squad is because its got too many players in who really are not good enough for one reason or another (injury prone Lamela, limited technically Sissoko, wannaway Rose, injured Wanyama etc, accident prone Aurier etc ). Which in turn feeds back to my argument that from summer 2015 through to summer 2019, our transfer record is poor - which has meant our squad management has been poor.

Al this not helped by only bringing into the first team one academy product in 5 years (Winks) versus the one a year before that. Most of those 'one a year stayed' in the squad for a few years before being sold - but Townsend, Bentaleb, Mason , Carroll, Livermore et al whilst not sold individually for mega fees raised £100m+ for us. By not bringing youngsters through we've had to spend £100m or so on squad players - so a turnround in cash flow of £200m. , And that £200m could have (with better scouting/buying) could have meant buying better players in the last 4 years or so, which would have improved todays squad in a few positions.

But we are where we are. So need to spend money to rebuild the squad - and I hope find a 'Tanganga a year' to bring through from the youth. Over a few years getting one or two youngsters a year through into the first team makes quite a difference and reduces the number of players we need to buy.

And a DoF and analytics department is probably a 'must' too
Yeah I pretty much agree on it all. Especially kane limiting his matches, whether he does it or the manager does. Its nice he wants to play every minute of every game but I am afraud his body obviously can't hack it. So its in every ones interest that he plays less games & gets subbed off if we are winning 3-0 for example. Be good if England didn't play him in so many friendlies as well. But obviously the problem is he wants as many chances to become England's top goalscorer & also score as many as possible for us. But common sense needs to prevail.

I really hope you're right
It's my heart versus my brain.

In the summer I was probably the first to suggest that £100m net spend was a credible idea (other than the eternal optimists) - based upon analysing Spurs financial accounts.

I'll be looking at the next ones published end of March/start of April but I'm expecting a slight increase in those - hence my optimism.

Yeah I pretty much agree on it all. Especially kane limiting his matches, whether he does it or the manager does. Its nice he wants to play every minute of every game but I am afraud his body obviously can't hack it. So its in every ones interest that he plays less games & gets subbed off if we are winning 3-0 for example. Be good if England didn't play him in so many friendlies as well. But obviously the problem is he wants as many chances to become England's top goalscorer & also score as many as possible for us. But common sense needs to prevail.

That's where a top manager can earn his corn - persuading a player why its not sensible to do everything he wants to do.

Back
Top Bottom