Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also, how in the fuck is all of this going to work with the homegrown rules?

Selling Tripps and Rose would leave us a grand total of three homegrown senior players.

Current squad (Trippier leaving)

EPLECL
NON-HG (16)NON-HG (17)
LLORISLLORIS
ALDERWEIRELDALDERWEIRELD
VERTONGHENVERTONGHEN
SANCHEZSANCHEZ
SONSON
JANSSENJANSSEN
LAMELALAMELA
WANYAMAWANYAMA
GKNGKN
DIERDIER
SISSOKOSISSOKO
GAZZANIGAGAZZANIGA
ERIKSENERIKSEN
AURIERAURIER
MOURAMOURA
NDOMBELENDOMBELE
DAVIES
HG (10)ASSOCIATION (1)
ALLIALLI
DAVIES
CLUB (8)
ROSEROSE
WINKSWINKS
KANEKANE
KWPKWP
CCVCCV
ONOMAHONOMAH
GEORGIOUGEORGIOU
HARRISONHARRISON
SQUAD TOTAL: 26SQUAD TOTAL: 26

Last edited:
Am feeling a little uneasy about seeing a first team regular being sold, without any indication of incoming replacements. Bad season or not, he played a lot of games.
I do have faith in the club that there is a plan of action, however transfers (Tanguy aside) have not been a strong point and my bums a bit squeaky.
Anyone wish to soothe my hole?

I suggest Notabadsquad .... He must live in a puddle of some form of melty, liquid substance... Perhaps he can give you a rub down with it.

Selling Trips and Rose would leave us a grand total of three homegrown senior players.

Kane, Winks , Walker-Peters as club trained ( plus Skipp as u21' atm) but also the likes of Georgiou also club trained.

And Dele as trained by other clubs affiliated to the FA.

There are of course a few HG players we have tracked in the last year or so, maybe one or two yet to join.

Btw, the Rose story is still unsubstantiated atm. So no idea as to its veracity atm

Maybe Poch plans to use more of the academy players ( generally qualifying as u21s in both PL and CL) this season.

Selling Trips and Rose would leave us a grand total of three homegrown senior players.

Must say I am curious on that front....

Aarons & Sessengon x 2 (+ the boy Clarke next year) is all I can muster.

....Anyone even think of any other HG players that may be on our radar, regardless of position?

I am not sure what our transfer plans are at the moment, I think it's great we got early business done with Ndombele but I have to say I am getting a little nervous seeing all the names we are apparently going to sell.

We have so many players sitting on our books which offer us nothing that could be sold and the money reinvested, instead we seem to be looking to sell first team players which is concerning to me.

Our issue in recent seasons has been lack of competition for places and poor depth, our first 11 has not been the issue, surely we should be building on what we already have or if we plan on replacing at the very least get the replacements signed first BEFORE we sell that way we don't risk leaving ourselves short.

I dunno, it's times like the Burnley game last season and even the CL final where we lacked impact players from the bench, I don't think we can afford to let our best players go without knowing for sure whatever replacements we bring in will be of equal quality because if they aren't then what can we turn to? Especially if our bench quality is as lacking as last season.

Think we wait until end of window to make a judgement on his successful or otherwise the window has been.

Remember as well Poch has been on record a few times as wanting a smaller squad to work with. Which of course can be aid to lack depth, options of the bench etc - but that is Pochs choice.

Must say I am curious on that front....

Aarons & Sessengon x 2 (+ the boy Clarke next year) is all I can muster.

....Anyone even think of any other HG players that may be on our radar, regardless of position?

Both Clarke and Sessegnon are under 21 and don't need to be put in "the squad" for another 2 seasons.
Aarons is not ever likely to play for Spurs IMO.
HG/non HG is not an issue. (See my post above).

Think we wait until end of window to make a judgement on his successful or otherwise the window has been.

Remember as well Poch has been on record a few times as wanting a smaller squad to work with. Which of course can be aid to lack depth, options of the bench etc - but that is Pochs choice.

I understand what you're saying about waiting to judge the window and I agree but Poch has also been on record this week saying he wishes for Eriksen to stay with us, maybe that will still happen, I don't know.

What I do know is that if we go into the season having sold Rose, Trippier, Toby and Eriksen that leaves us short four first team players with no guarantee that their replacements will hit the ground running or be of equal quality.

I don't rate Trippier that highly at all but I was thinking he would be a good option from the bench for us, rather than outright selling him, just get a higher quality player in and give him some competition, same with Rose.

Also, if we are going to replace Eriksen isn't it better to get a player in to give him some competition and see if whatever player we bring in is actually good enough to replace him? Same thing with Toby.

I just think it's a very risky strategy to sell first team players, especially when we need squad depth more than ever and these first team players have been imperative to our success so far.

I understand Levy wants to raise funds for more purchases but we have a bunch of players on our books frankly doing nothing for us, we should be focusing on selling them at whatever price we can get for them and reinvesting that money instead.

Both Clarke and Sessegnon are under 21 and don't need to be put in "the squad" for another 2 seasons.
Aarons is not ever likely to play for Spurs IMO.
HG/non HG is not an issue.

I'm only listing names on a hypothetical basis....

Of course HG is a factor, it dictates how many foreign players we are allowed to register in the various competitions we are a part of.

We had to leave Foyth out of the CL squad during the first half of last season.... Dembele out alloed JF back in but we've since bought Ndombele..... Yes, we've lost Vorm & Llorente too, but Losing 2 x HG FBs won't help matters.

We will lose at least 2 non HG (more likely 3 or 4) so we can replace those and still be "legal."
I am actually more interested in HG signings than non HG but either/or is not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom