Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Ruben Neves could be a superb player and a great long term replacement for Dembele. His passing range is fantastic and he seems to cope well in tight areas albeit against championship opposition. At 21 we may need a more immediate answer however if he lights up The league next year with Wolves I expect we will lose out to one of the richer teams next summer.

It's always a risk taking somebody from an inferior division but with his obvious technical and ability and his age it could be a risk worth taking. My biggest concern would Jorge Mendes being his agent, I can’t see Poch/Levy getting on too well with him.

If we could sign an attacker/midfielder and a full back of real quality plus Neves and Sessengnon I would be very content.

Excuse me are people confusing Danny Rose with Marcelo?

I think you all need to reign it in a bit.

Danny Rose creates less than Davies. Fact.

Call it a pointless stat all you want but it wouldn’t be so pointless if Rose had 12 assists and 6 goals now would it. Jesus

All the chances we didn’t create with Davies?
Errr what?
Have you those numbers for Rose then, who has never once put in a cross on the run in ten years of football....no thought not

Regardless of stats (which don't seem to favour him anyway), after that interview, he should never have kicked another ball for us.

I'm still absolutely amazed this pricks name has been sung in away ends this year.

He's also been shite whenever he has played this season.

Fuck him off.

It's not about crosses, it's about stretching the oppo, pinning back their FB/WB's, it's about getting behind them and committing their defence, creating spaces. Both Walker and Rose did this better than any FB in the league.

But I think its an easy way out to simply say "its not about crosses". Why isnt it? For someone labelled the best left back in Europe, and that heavily weighing towards his attacking strengths, Id expect him to be able to cross a ball, either dead, or running. Rose, from memory has never done that.
People talk about Davies checking back, well Rose does it far more, because he knows he cant cross, where as Davies regularly puts the ball into the box.

How is that not important when talking about the attacking strengths of a full back?
Just like Trippier....show me one Walker first time Volley cross, that Tripper has done several times leading to goals. He has great ability, but suddenly all everyone wants is pace.......isnt that what everyone hounded Gibbs out for saying.

Bottomline is we play differently, slower without Rose and Walker. I prefer watching us with Rose and Walker in the side.

Well personally I think some of our best performances under Poch have been this season, and I honestly feel people are remembering the old full backs with a slightly ott view.
People are acting as if they were marauding down the wings like Bale, causing havoc every second.

They were not, and both were still prone to brainless and costly errors.

They were dynamic and powerful, but lacked discipline. Walker was naive, but fast, which helped him out and his crossing was utter shit. He is actually more mature at City, playing as a true defender.

Sorry, but that sounds outright stupid piece (though I agree with most other parts).
How in the world do we just swing from one extreme to another? I agree that Dembele was poor against ManU. But at the same time when we had a run of 8 wins and 2 draws out of 10 games (from rounds 23-33) that included games against ManU, Pool, Woolwich and City - he played 90 minutes 5 times and was subbed off in 85,82,79,80,77th minute mark meaning he only missed total of 47 minutes of this super impressive series... he done VERY WELL in each and every game in this series. What happened before and after this run - before he was on bench and we drew with West ham, after that he was on bench and we drew with Brighton (excluding the ManCity game into which I don't think we can read anything, given that we were outplayed in every aspect by them in both games we played this season).

So what the fook does it mean "not the player he used to be"? Sure, he has above average problems with injuries. Agreed. But at the same time he is an HUGE asset to the side. Technically excellent player who many of our own squad regard as "best player in team" even though we have ones like Kane and Veronghen and Eriksen....

How would someone in right mind say that they would sell such player rather then Sissoko? Please, I would like to hear explanation that would make any sense. What does it mean "he cannot stay healthy" in the light of numbers I just presented? Yea, I agree that he should not be the one and only player. And I also agree we have to add someone who can fill that space. But selling such a player for 10 million is beyond imbecillic move.

Only reason why he should leave would be his own wish. And this is the only one.

I think you're right and I definitely have a recency bias regarding Dembele. That said, he isn't the player he was in 15-16, but he was very good in that stretch. If we could afford, both monetarily and squad number wise, to keep him with Sissoko and add another option, that's ideal. I just don't think it's realistic to keep the 3 of them while having Winks and get them all playing time.

Dembele is incredible and one of the most technical players in our squad, I just fear that with his injury track record and being 30 may be over the hump for him. Obviously, just putting quality in perspective, i'd much rather keep Dembele than Sissoko, but I feel that Sissoko offers multiple positions adequately and has been very healthy for us, not too sure on his health record before us though, so that may paint a different picture. I'm not steadfast on selling Dembele and if Sissoko were to move instead, i really wouldn't mind. My general point is that i fear one of the two of them has to move on to bring in a younger, quicker passer as a CM.

Sell Toby and bring in a veteran defender?
Toby is 30, and the best CB in the Pl when fit....... :avbfacepalm:

Plus 10 million go Dembele? Even if he was fit for 20 games that’s worth the 10 million alone! :paulinhobored:

I do wish Toby would leave and very much wish he would sign a new deal. I think that's not likely at this point, though. Sanchez has done an excellent job and he should be first choice alongside Jan next season. I also have confidence in Foyth and I believe his development shouldn't be stopped by bringing in another CB. Bringing in a veteran CB that has won things before and can give Jan some rest wouldn't stunt Foyth or Sanchez while giving us depth. Again, if Toby signs a new deal, that's the ideal situation, but if not, I would like to see a veteran brought in and Foyth steps up. Regarding Dembele, see above.

Davies and Trippier may not look flashy running down the wings, but they more often than most fullbacks have a thought an aim and/or an ability to hit an attacking player with a cross, whereas Rose and Walker more often than not just rushed towards the line and knocked the ball in with little control or aim to it.

Absolutely nails it.

But I think its an easy way out to simply say "its not about crosses". Why isnt it? For someone labelled the best left back in Europe, and that heavily weighing towards his attacking strengths, Id expect him to be able to cross a ball, either dead, or running. Rose, from memory has never done that.
People talk about Davies checking back, well Rose does it far more, because he knows he cant cross, where as Davies regularly puts the ball into the box.

How is that not important when talking about the attacking strengths of a full back?
Just like Trippier....show me one Walker first time Volley cross, that Tripper has done several times leading to goals. He has great ability, but suddenly all everyone wants is pace.......isnt that what everyone hounded Gibbs out for saying.

Well personally I think some of our best performances under Poch have been this season, and I honestly feel people are remembering the old full backs with a slightly ott view.
People are acting as if they were marauding down the wings like Bale, causing havoc every second.

They were not, and both were still prone to brainless and costly errors.

They were dynamic and powerful, but lacked discipline. Walker was naive, but fast, which helped him out and his crossing was utter shit. He is actually more mature at City, playing as a true defender.
Crosses are shit, corners are shit, stats back all this up, they are the lowest percentage chance creator known, made all the worse when we have 2 players in the box against 5 or 6 defenders and a keeper. Walker and Rose didn't cross that often because they committed the oppo, they got behind the oppo. Walker used to cut the ball back once he got to the bye-line to a player on the edge of the box, usually Eriksen who would put a shorter cross/pass into the box. The ball whipped in is so, so rare in actually resulting in a goal it's rarely used. You mentioned Tripps first time volleyed cross, how many of these have resulted in a goal for us? (I know the answer to this and it's staggering, especially if you take into account just how many times he does it). A ball fizzing into to box that doesn't find a Spurs shirt is ultimately a shit cross because it resulted in no Spurs player touching the ball. If a Spurs player doesn't touch the ball it's not even an opportunity and it results in us losing possession.

Having width provided by the FB's isn't about crosses, it's about pulling out an oppo player towards him, getting past him, taking him out of the game, which creates spaces on the inside.

So, my take is still the same as it's ever been our dominance and control of games is at it's best when we've played with Walker and Rose in the side. Our aim is to replicate this again with players other than Tripps and Davies. To be clear, Davies has been fantastic and I would play him over Rose if I were a manager (because of what Rose has done and because Rose wants out, so we need to fuck him off if this is still the case). Davies should be kept, he's an asset to the team, fantastic mentality and a good solid player. Tripps is shit and somewhat of a liability, our whole balance of the team suffers and his crossing is a total myth, with so few of them actually coming off. Aurier I believe will be good, and I like Walker-Peters. So we are not talking major surgery in my world, only incoming player would be a new LB if Rose is off. I would sell Tripps but confident Aurier and Walker-Peters will be right for us i.e. bring us close to the style with Rose and Walker.

TDLR: Style, Balance & Dominance all came from Rose & Walker. It's not about crossing the ball, never has been.

Crosses are shit, corners are shit, stats back all this up, they are the lowest percentage chance creator known, made all the worse when we have 2 players in the box against 5 or 6 defenders and a keeper. Walker and Rose didn't cross that often because they committed the oppo, they got behind the oppo. Walker used to cut the ball back once he got to the bye-line to a player on the edge of the box, usually Eriksen who would put a shorter cross/pass into the box. The ball whipped in is so, so rare in actually resulting in a goal it's rarely used. You mentioned Tripps first time volleyed cross, how many of these have resulted in a goal for us? (I know the answer to this and it's staggering, especially if you take into account just how many times he does it). A ball fizzing into to box that doesn't find a Spurs shirt is ultimately a shit cross because it resulted in no Spurs player touching the ball. If a Spurs player doesn't touch the ball it's not even an opportunity and it results in us losing possession.

Having width provided by the FB's isn't about crosses, it's about pulling out an oppo player towards him, getting past him, taking him out of the game, which creates spaces on the inside.

So, my take is still the same as it's ever been our dominance and control of games is at it's best when we've played with Walker and Rose in the side. Our aim is to replicate this again with players other than Tripps and Davies. To be clear, Davies has been fantastic and I would play him over Rose if I were a manager (because of what Rose has done and because Rose wants out, so we need to fuck him off if this is still the case). Davies should be kept, he's an asset to the team, fantastic mentality and a good solid player. Tripps is shit and somewhat of a liability, our whole balance of the team suffers and his crossing is a total myth, with so few of them actually coming off. Aurier I believe will be good, and I like Walker-Peters. So we are not talking major surgery in my world, only incoming player would be a new LB if Rose is off. I would sell Tripps but confident Aurier and Walker-Peters will be right for us i.e. bring us close to the style with Rose and Walker.

TDLR: Style, Balance & Dominance all came from Rose & Walker. It's not about crossing the ball, never has been.
Reminds me of people saying modric was crap because of his assists stat. Completely missing the bigger picture.

Reminds me of people saying modric was crap because of his assists stat. Completely missing the bigger picture.

Only no one said that.
Whats the bigger picture then Scott? Everyone seems to think we would be winning the PL with Rose and Walker, yet forgetting we didnt. Why is it you only start rating players when they dont play for us anymore.

If Levy waved 40M in Fulhams face a year ago for Sessengon you'd have been happy to drop Rose in a fucking heartbeat. Most of you would, but Rose is the answer now.

I think you're right and I definitely have a recency bias regarding Dembele. That said, he isn't the player he was in 15-16, but he was very good in that stretch. If we could afford, both monetarily and squad number wise, to keep him with Sissoko and add another option, that's ideal. I just don't think it's realistic to keep the 3 of them while having Winks and get them all playing time.

Dembele is incredible and one of the most technical players in our squad, I just fear that with his injury track record and being 30 may be over the hump for him. Obviously, just putting quality in perspective, i'd much rather keep Dembele than Sissoko, but I feel that Sissoko offers multiple positions adequately and has been very healthy for us, not too sure on his health record before us though, so that may paint a different picture. I'm not steadfast on selling Dembele and if Sissoko were to move instead, i really wouldn't mind. My general point is that i fear one of the two of them has to move on to bring in a younger, quicker passer as a CM.

I do wish Toby would leave and very much wish he would sign a new deal. I think that's not likely at this point, though. Sanchez has done an excellent job and he should be first choice alongside Jan next season. I also have confidence in Foyth and I believe his development shouldn't be stopped by bringing in another CB. Bringing in a veteran CB that has won things before and can give Jan some rest wouldn't stunt Foyth or Sanchez while giving us depth. Again, if Toby signs a new deal, that's the ideal situation, but if not, I would like to see a veteran brought in and Foyth steps up. Regarding Dembele, see above.

Fair enough, I think all of us have come to the conclusion now that he is off, and Sanchez has done well while Toby has been injured, but if I had the choice I would keep Toby, he is one of the best CB alive when fit!
Ultimately I trust in Poch and levy and the project, but it does make me a bit sad and pissed off to see us having to sell players like Walker, and Now Toby due to money, but I would choose this any day over selling our soul to a billionaire!

Max Meyer is leaving Schalke this summer. Can he be a replacement for Dembele or is he not good at playing DM?

Edit, a friend of mine who's a bit too much into German football says that he's been a AM but played more and more as DM this year and had taken great steps in that role.

Last edited:
La Gazzetta dello Sport is inspired by the Daily Mail. How is this serious newspaper or trash? They say that the Spurs want to sell :
- Danny Rose
- Toby Alderweireld
- Victor Wanyama
- Mousa Dembele
to have a € 200 million treasure to allow Pochettino to make transfers.
Above all for not selling Kane.

It's true? Do you find it or is it rubbish?

Back
Top Bottom