Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unless you think Chelsea is going to catch Liverpool it doesn't matter. Fourth is good enough. We should go for 2nd because 2nd is better than 3rd but for UCL qualification 2nd 3rd and 4th are all the same. England had five UCL teams this year because United won Europa. If the league table holds CIty, United and Spurs would qualify based on domestic position alone and Liverpool and Woolwich would take the spots reserved for the defending champs in the UCL group draw. We can have 5 just not six.

Ah yeh.. you’re right. Sorry, me being a thicko.

I don’t think I could handle a season where Woolwich finish 6th yet still win a trophy.

We'd be looking at £50,000,000 for de Ligt.

Well, with Toby going out, we need somebody as a replacement... 50m is a lot for someone without a definite starting spot though, especially if we don't return to a back 3. deLigt seems like a can't miss prospect however and I'm very in favor of these types of moves, especially seeing how Sanchez turned out for us this year...

Levy has said that he wants at least one major signing in the summer to mark our move into the new ground.

I honestly am not sure what a "big" signing would be- I thought Sanchez and Moura were both "big" signings. "Big" almost sounds like throwing money at a problem. I don't think we have enough loot to do that. I for one just hope Levy keeps making "smart" signings- it's done us well enough in the past few years, wouldn't you say?

Alexander Isak is rumored to be leaving Dortmund next summer.

Cheeky bid for the "next Zlatan"?

In the vids I could find, Isak looks young and raw, but definitely talented. Is he ready to be a no 2 option on a Prem/CL club though? If yes, then I'd be into signing either him or Arp as a Llorente replacement this summer...

Weigl is definitely someone we should have our eyes on

He definitely looks good- logjam at CDM though between Dier/Wanyama makes it hard to see how this would work for us.

Haven't seen much of Wilmot and there isn't much footage of him online. I guess he is right-footed though? I'm always down for stockpiling young defensive talent, but shouldn't we be looking at a left-footed CB as a backup to Jan?

---

So, looks like we are in the market for:
1) CM - Dembele understudy/long-term replacement
2) ST - Kane backup/understudy
3) CB - Verts backup/long-term replacement

Questions:
-Will Rose definitely be sold this summer?

Fulham are bleeding money. They might have to sell Ryan Sessegnon to cover them losses.
Losses widen at Fulham FC on attempts to rejoin Premier League
If Fulham decide to start a fire sale, I don't think there's any chance we would be the highest bidder. Could see Man U blowing any bid we make out of the water. Then it just comes down to what motivates the lad. If staying in London is a factor, we've got a chance. If it's all about the money, he'll go north.

does anyone know whether any of these players have an option to extend their contracts?

expiries 30.6.18
Michel Vorm (34)

expiries 30.6.19
Mousa Dembélé (30)
Fernando Llorente (33)
Toby Alderweireld (29)
Jan Vertonghen (30)

expiries 30.6.20
Christian Eriksen (26)
Son Heung-Min (25)
Érik Lamela (26)
Kyle Walker-Peters (20)

players contracts according to transfermartk.

I read something about Toby having an option to extend but that rested on whether another team not bidding over £25M for him. I don't know if that's true or not though?

does anyone know whether any of these players have an option to extend their contracts?

expiries 30.6.18
Michel Vorm (34)

expiries 30.6.19
Mousa Dembélé (30)
Fernando Llorente (33)
Toby Alderweireld (29)
Jan Vertonghen (30)

expiries 30.6.20
Christian Eriksen (26)
Son Heung-Min (25)
Érik Lamela (26)
Kyle Walker-Peters (20)

players contracts according to transfermartk.

I read something about Toby having an option to extend but that rested on whether another team not bidding over £25M for him. I don't know if that's true or not though?
Toby has a 1 year extension clause. But if we activate it we also activate a release clause where he can leave if a club pays 25 million

Toby has a 1 year extension clause. But if we activate it we also activate a release clause where he can leave if a club pays 25 million

OK, thanks for that. Mind, it doesn't sound like we are in a very strong position to deal. Having said that...

i7ng1mU.png

OK, thanks for that. Mind, it doesn't sound like we are in a very strong position to deal. Having said that...

i7ng1mU.png
We are in a very strong position. Toby is not indispensable. We signed two centerbacks last summer, one who has deputised for Toby for six months now and done well doing so. Had we not had Sanchez Toby would have had us by the balls. Right now we have him by the balls since we don't have to give in to his demands. We can just keep playing Sanchez.

Getting a new left footed centerback that can walk beside Jan is far more important

Okay friends,

Umtiti is apparently not happy in Barcelona and looking to move. And has a release clause of "just" 40 million.

He's a young, left footed centerback with La Liga and CL experience and he already knows multiple players in our squad through his work in Ligue 1 and the French national team.

Would ya if you were in charge?
Looking for a change because he wants more money, money we won't be able to pay him

Just been thinking about the summer. This is the best summer I can think of.

OUT
Toby Alderweireld
- Big money move to PSG would be best option to free up funds to bring in our new recruits.
Danny Rose - Again, send him to PSG. They do need a left back and hopefully the Alderweireld deal will go well enough that they fancy taking Rose as well. I won't be sorry to see him go after last summer.
Kevin Georges N'Koudou - Just hasn't worked out for you pal. I am sure there is another club that will giove him a chance and I hope he takes it. Good player, just not good enough to get in this Spurs team.
Vincent Jansen - I suspect most people have completely forgotten about him. Hopefully he'll get a move back to the Netherlands. If so it'll have to be on the cheap, but I think the club could take the hit given the profits we'll get from the sales of Alderweireld and Rose.
Moussa Sissoko - Even if you don't hate Sissoko, surely you don't see the benefit of having him in the squad when everyone is fully fit (would he even make the bench). He's on a hefty wage too (£80k p/w) so moving him on would be very beneficial to reducing the wage bill.

IN
Ryan Sessegnon
- Last year he made the Championship team of the year at the age of 16. This year he's probably going to be the player of the year. When we first signed Dele Alli and he was finishing off the season at MK Dons, I kept an eye on their results and match reports, and Dele was clearly their stand out player. He was obviously a class above everyone else in the league and it is evidently a superb piece of business from Spurs. Could Sessegnon have a similar impact? Who knows, but another young, exciting, flashy English player would do us no harm at all. Should be our number 1 target this summer.
Matthijs de Ligt - I only first heard about him ahead of the Netherlands/England game. I looked him up then and everything I have seen and read since then has been glowing. I suspected he'd get picked up by Barca, Real, Bayern or Juve this summer, but since the Spurs links came out today I started to dream about this one. He'll be expensive, but any defender will be this summer (£45m for Alfie Mawson?). With the Dutch failing to qualify for the World Cup, Spurs could land this one in time for pre-season training. A very exciting possibility.
James Maddison - Like Sessegnon, he's a standout star in the Championship. He's another player I have been monitoring for the last few months and just like Sessegnon, di Ligt and Dele, the reviews on him are absolutely raving. He's a real talent. Yes, he would be expensive for a player unproven in the prem, but may yet be a reasonable price in the current market at £25m.

New contracts for Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Lamela, Vertonghen, Dier & Hugo would also be welcome.

Let me know what you guys think.
I agree on some level, but I think we'd be bringing in too much potential and not enough more certain quality

Fulham are bleeding money. They might have to sell Ryan Sessegnon to cover them losses.
Losses widen at Fulham FC on attempts to rejoin Premier League

Fulham are almost certainly in the play offs (and could still go up in the automatic 2nd place promotion) - so if they win them they get into PL they become cash generative and no real pressure to sell.

If they lose the playoffs its much more likely that both Sessegnon will want to leave to go to a bigger club where its much more likely he gets picked for England plus bigger salary etc, and the club will want to sell to generate some cash. Hope Spurs have (as rumoured) got a deal done in principle if Fulham want to sell

Been lots of rumours and with Spurs youth using Stevenage to play at its very likely true that England u19 Wilmot has impressed enough to be joining Spurs.

But a strange move for Spurs as we also have England u19 left footed Japhat Tangana who plays CB and can play LB who is probably as good or even better - but has not had the experience of playing 'mens games' like Wilmot. With luck Tangana will play in Spurs next pre-season matches and impress enough to be groomed into Jan Vertonghen's eventual successor.

Spurs also have TJ Eyomah one year below them and Brooklyn Lyons-Foster two years below who both look very good CB prospects (plus Dinzeyi who is better physically developed and went on last pre-season) so we are not really short of CB prospects - just a question as to whether Spurs can find a way of taking them from youth football to first team via loans or training with the first team.

Been lots of rumours and with Spurs youth using Stevenage to play at its very likely true that England u19 Wilmot has impressed enough to be joining Spurs.

But a strange move for Spurs as we also have England u19 left footed Japhat Tangana who plays CB and can play LB who is probably as good or even better - but has not had the experience of playing 'mens games' like Wilmot. With luck Tangana will play in Spurs next pre-season matches and impress enough to be groomed into Jan Vertonghen's eventual successor.

Spurs also have TJ Eyomah one year below them and Brooklyn Lyons-Foster two years below who both look very good CB prospects (plus Dinzeyi who is better physically developed and went on last pre-season) so we are not really short of CB prospects - just a question as to whether Spurs can find a way of taking them from youth football to first team via loans or training with the first team.
Relatively convinced you’ve made up most of those names. Is nobody called Dave Smith any more?

Back
Top Bottom