Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just been thinking about the summer. This is the best summer I can think of.

OUT
Toby Alderweireld
- Big money move to PSG would be best option to free up funds to bring in our new recruits.
Danny Rose - Again, send him to PSG. They do need a left back and hopefully the Alderweireld deal will go well enough that they fancy taking Rose as well. I won't be sorry to see him go after last summer.
Kevin Georges N'Koudou - Just hasn't worked out for you pal. I am sure there is another club that will giove him a chance and I hope he takes it. Good player, just not good enough to get in this Spurs team.
Vincent Jansen - I suspect most people have completely forgotten about him. Hopefully he'll get a move back to the Netherlands. If so it'll have to be on the cheap, but I think the club could take the hit given the profits we'll get from the sales of Alderweireld and Rose.
Moussa Sissoko - Even if you don't hate Sissoko, surely you don't see the benefit of having him in the squad when everyone is fully fit (would he even make the bench). He's on a hefty wage too (£80k p/w) so moving him on would be very beneficial to reducing the wage bill.

IN
Ryan Sessegnon
- Last year he made the Championship team of the year at the age of 16. This year he's probably going to be the player of the year. When we first signed Dele Alli and he was finishing off the season at MK Dons, I kept an eye on their results and match reports, and Dele was clearly their stand out player. He was obviously a class above everyone else in the league and it is evidently a superb piece of business from Spurs. Could Sessegnon have a similar impact? Who knows, but another young, exciting, flashy English player would do us no harm at all. Should be our number 1 target this summer.
Matthijs de Ligt - I only first heard about him ahead of the Netherlands/England game. I looked him up then and everything I have seen and read since then has been glowing. I suspected he'd get picked up by Barca, Real, Bayern or Juve this summer, but since the Spurs links came out today I started to dream about this one. He'll be expensive, but any defender will be this summer (£45m for Alfie Mawson?). With the Dutch failing to qualify for the World Cup, Spurs could land this one in time for pre-season training. A very exciting possibility.
James Maddison - Like Sessegnon, he's a standout star in the Championship. He's another player I have been monitoring for the last few months and just like Sessegnon, di Ligt and Dele, the reviews on him are absolutely raving. He's a real talent. Yes, he would be expensive for a player unproven in the prem, but may yet be a reasonable price in the current market at £25m.

New contracts for Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Lamela, Vertonghen, Dier & Hugo would also be welcome.

Let me know what you guys think.

For the creatively minded doing business with PSG opens all sorts of exciting possibilities because of:

PSG Qatar ownership
Qatar cold war with i.a. UAE
UAE Emirates Airlines rivalry with Qatar Airways
PSG FFP challenges
Qatar Airways savings by not sponsoring Barca anymore

Combined with:

Spurs open Stadium Naming Rights deal
Sheiks etc. liking of luxury venues
Spurs cheap existing shirt sponsorship deal
Rivalry with neighbours at Emirates Stadium
Good players maybe wanting/needing a transfer at both clubs.
Competition btw clubs limited to CL

My conspiratory brain-half sees murkey dealings ahead

It's possible. And I doubt Levy would blink twice at maximizing any openings they gave him to the hilt. But football, and life, rarely work out so neatly. I think Rose is probably going to be stuck in the PL, but Toby definitely could be moved on to PSG.

For the creatively minded doing business with PSG opens all sorts of exciting possibilities because of:

PSG Qatar ownership
Qatar cold war with i.a. UAE
UAE Emirates Airlines rivalry with Qatar Airways
PSG FFP challenges
Qatar Airways savings by not sponsoring Barca anymore

Combined with:

Spurs open Stadium Naming Rights deal
Sheiks etc. liking of luxury venues
Spurs cheap existing shirt sponsorship deal
Rivalry with neighbours at Emirates Stadium
Good players maybe wanting/needing a transfer at both clubs.
Competition btw clubs limited to CL

My conspiratory brain-half sees murkey dealings ahead
We will always do things with style and vision, that's why Levy gets the big bucks, unlike the Death Star mob.

I really love the way this guy plays - looks very similar to Kovacic but stronger and hopefully much cheaper. Really think we should go for him

Yea he looks pretty darn good. It's good that there appear to be at least 3-4 reasonable targets for us- gives us a real chance of signing one of them this summer.

Butland if Stoke go down?

Great shout - Lloris has been dubious this season, and with PSG and Real both looking for keepers, Levy could get £50-£60m for him, get Butland for circa £25m and use the rest to subsidise pay rises for the likes of Kane and Eriksen etc

Toby has a 1 year extension clause. But if we activate it we also activate a release clause where he can leave if a club pays 25 million

I’d rather keep him for another season and then sell for £25m next year - any valid replacement is going to cost a lot to attain/pay anyway.

Sanchez is decent, but lacks class and experience, Foyth is a baby and Ben White is another who will take time if he’s bought.

Shit ITK incoming

Gareth Bale has no plans to leave Real Madrid while the club still ‘love’ the player, according to the Welshman’s agent Jonathan Barnett.

Speculation has intensified in recent weeks that the 28-year-old will leave the Bernabeu this summer, while he played no part in last week’s 3-0 Champions League quarter-final first leg victory at Juventus.

“Gareth is a Real Madrid player and loves Real Madrid and Real Madrid love Gareth,” Barnett is cited as saying by ESPN FC.

“All this talk about leaving is written by reporters who have no idea what is going on and who need to write something and don't care if it is true or not.”

Bale joined Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur in 2013 in a €90m deal, and he has been linked with a move to Manchester United.
'Madrid still love Bale' - agent | Football Espana

Absolutely categorically no way we should entertain the idea of selling Rose to United unless they let us go for Martial too.

This reminds me of something my uncle told me after going to one of those events where an after dinner speaker was Wenger: he was asked what he looks for in a player and he said “pace - because you can’t teach it”.
Martial is already very good but a bit of a rough diamond, and is only 22.

Wanting to leave United to actually play reflects well on him IMO and if Poch was keen I think he’d mould an incredible player out of him.

Back
Top Bottom