Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any chance Villa decided to keep Grealish in hope he has a stormer until January so his price goes up and it generates more interest of higher stakes? After all they don't need to sort their FFP out until January and having Grealish for half a season is better than not at all.

Got no idea about the FFP but if they don't need to square things up until March, why sell now unless you're worried that the only potential buyer doesn't come back in for him? Just second guessing as this FFP has me scratching my head with everything I've read about it

We’ll know as the season plays out if Levy and Poch made the right decision by standing pat. A lot relies on bringing supposed want-aways back into the fold and the extension of key personnel mixed with the continued development of younger players into the squad.

That is a difficult task, which is why you would expect some contingency to be put in place via incoming transfers. It’s risk mitigation more than anything.

Clearly I hope it all works for the best and we look like a bunch of knobs while Spurs achieve great things. But I think the club have made it more difficult than it needed to be.

Food for thought…

If we’d had captured Grealish & Zaha at the 'advertised' prices it would have meant spending in excess of £100m NET(! LOL) on a nominal improvement to our bench.

Also, making us 3rd highest (net) spending team in the league.

Crazy times.

Really good point. Looking at it that way it is a little far fetched to expect us to fork that kind of money out with us looking at paying off the new stadium as well. When you put it that way I think it's realistic to expect 1 key signing and 1 potential prospect per summer if we're lucky, I don't think we'll be looking at windows where 4-5 are brought in unless a big one is sold

This is a much more simple proposition than anyone is making out. It's either £1 Billion on a new stadium OR £1 Billion on World Class Players and stay at WHL. Votes Please...
How about 500 million on a new stadium. And 500 million on the football team..I know that sounds simplistic, but the stadium itself isnt costing 1 billion.
And it'll increase revenue exponentially, is not being paid for out of ENICs pockets, will have huge amounts of third party investment, as well as NFL subsidies to massively offset the overall expenditure.
Not to mention that Levy himself said it would have no impact on our transfer budget, other than making us more able to compete.

Any chance Villa decided to keep Grealish in hope he has a stormer until January so his price goes up and it generates more interest of higher stakes? After all they don't need to sort their FFP out until January and having Grealish for half a season is better than not at all.

Got no idea about the FFP but if they don't need to square things up until March, why sell now unless you're worried that the only potential buyer doesn't come back in for him? Just second guessing as this FFP has me scratching my head with everything I've read about it

100% they're banking on him having a blinder.

a) Promotion prospects or
b) Higher price-tag

They'll realise the only way they keep him beyond the end of the season is if:

a) They get promoted or
b) He has a mediocre season.

FFP thing: Thought part of the panto was that they don't have to pay the fine in one chunk....

Death Star 2.0:

For what it's worth I think we still owe you one cryptic solution.

Play it again Sam
From Casablanca
White House in Spanish
The White House is in Washington DC
District of Columbia
Barrio is the Spanish word for a neighbourhood or district
Barrios of Colombia

It obviously fell through but we were interested in him.

:pochshock:

100% they're banking on him having a blinder.

a) Promotion prospects or
b) Higher price-tag

They'll realise the only way they keep him beyond the end of the season is if:

a) They get promoted or
b) He has a mediocre season.

FFP thing: Thought part of the panto was that they don't have to pay the fine in one chunk....

Seems like they've rolled the dice and thought about the best interests of the club from a couple of angles if this is the case. Good luck to them, we never liked it when teams like Madrid or Man U ripped our guts out so if they can keep him and get away with it fair dues

I am gutted because i thought we could do with a centre mid but if we cant get our top picks why settle for less? We have seen what that does with our squad, hopefully a chance to see Onomah in centre midfield and GK who does make things happen when he's on the pitch

Think hes price will only be going down now.
But if he signs a new contract then no one will pay the price they will be looking for.

I was thinking this . No one made any fuss over him until we did. The noise will attract others to him now and if he plays well til Jan (and Im sure this will be the sell to him by villa) there could be the desired bidding war

If not ... they offer him to us again

Really good point. Looking at it that way it is a little far fetched to expect us to fork that kind of money out with us looking at paying off the new stadium as well. When you put it that way I think it's realistic to expect 1 key signing and 1 potential prospect per summer if we're lucky, I don't think we'll be looking at windows where 4-5 are brought in unless a big one is sold

Contradiction surely?

What you've described is the very same exact £100m NET + wages my previous post alludes to.... Wasn't an expectation I had for this window and I don't expect the inflated equivalent over the coming seasons until any benefit from the stadium has well and truly kicked in.

Levy mentioned "ring-fencing" funds as not to impede our spending whilst the stadium was being built... He didn't pledge record spending levels (which is was £100m NET would represent for us and the majority of clubs in the world for that matter)... I can't be the only one shocked when we dropped £40m on big Dav last year; Walker sale or not.

The way fees spiral and the generally vague (at best) insight fans are able to build of transfer budgets I think it's bold to speculate how much our legit budget is/ought to be let alone how much the club are able or prepared to stretch such figures when called upon. For me this is a HUUUUGE elephant in the room when embarking on discussions such as these. When asked, most back down on this... It's no coincidence. So props for openly offering up an opinion on that front either way.

I'll be honest, I can't fathom the price-range/vale of a player at this point even if I understand accounts/finance etc.

It baffles me how those that are cock-sure about out spending power can be so, tbh. Especially cos market pressure sare just as much dictated by the unique predicaments of EVERY other club; buying and selling alike...

Do they genuinely profess to know deep shit about all other clubs as well as Spurs?

What does our scouts do? Surely there are quality players out there that can be picked up without spending over the odds on players.

Levy always regarded as a hard negotiator, when was the last bargain buy we got, free transfer, loan. Look at Gomes, Meyer, Kovacic. All three would of been quality additions to our squad.

Think hes price will only be going down now.
But if he signs a new contract then no one will pay the price they will be looking for.

Even if his price does go down, surely from a footballing perspective they have more chance of getting promoted with him as part of their squad until the end of January instead of 1 game in.

If Villa keep him until the end of Jan, two months before they need to sort out their FFP they get 30 league games out of him. Surely it's worth the risk for them to do so knowing Grealish's stock is only going to rise if he continues doing well

I’m not jealous of a spastic shopping spree like evertons it’s just doomed to fail. As previously mentioned out core A team can beat anyone it’s the bench that’s concerning but “top” players won’t concede to that role anyway. Llorente has to come good his track record is literally world class

Back
Top Bottom