Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll be overjoyed to look like an idiot in a couple months, but I actually think Woolwich did really well. There is still a talent gap to the Top 4, but at least they won't fold like an accordion under the slightest pressure now.

I agree- they definitely solved some of their issues. I'd love it if they were to continue to languish, but the realist in me thinks the renewed emphasis on defense along with Aubameyang will at least make them more formidable than they were last year, or the year before that.

All question marks remain for me on that front... Buying Siggy itself (regardless of the price) wasn't their problem. He was theoretically their wisest signing if anything.

Silva has inherited a bigger puzzle than Koeman with even more pieces to go with his lesser experience. Big ask IMO.

Koeman exposed himself to be a shit man-manager big time at Everton. Silva I think will be much better at organizing their defense and motivating them properly. I'm surprised people think Richarlison was such a bad signing- I genuinely think he is a good player that will be very dangerous for them.

The Trust have made a very fair point in an articulate way on the fan's behalf, it's a fair request.

As I see it, this is a big gamble, if we have a strong start and continue to do well then this transfer window will probably be forgotten. If we fail or look miles behind the competition then this could be a key reason both Poch & Levy will be held to account.

I have an inkling that we might also get away with it, Chelsea have had a manager for all of 3 weeks, Woolwich need time for their manager to bed in too, at Manchester United Jose is coming across as more miserable than Morrissey on a Sunday, add in Liverpool with some great signings but the issue of them working together as a successful unit. There is a few chinks in the armour of our rivals here, we have an established nucleus of a team which is going to help.

The only issue is that I think we may have topped out already and now the coach needs to find that extra gear, fasten in, it's going to be an interesting season!!

The Trust have made a very fair point in an articulate way on the fan's behalf, it's a fair request.

As I see it, this is a big gamble, if we have a strong start and continue to do well then this transfer window will probably be forgotten. If we fail or look miles behind the competition then this could be a key reason both Poch & Levy will be held to account.

I have an inkling that we might also get away with it, Chelsea have had a manager for all of 3 weeks, Woolwich need time for their manager to bed in too, at Manchester United Jose is coming across as more miserable than Morrissey on a Sunday, add in Liverpool with some great signings but the issue of them working together as a successful unit. There is a few chinks in the armour of our rivals here, we have an established nucleus of a team which is going to help.

The only issue is that I think we may have topped out already and now the coach needs to find that extra gear, fasten in, it's going to be an interesting season!!

I agree with your assessment of the other clubs. Besides City, they all have their weaknesses. Everyone is loving Liverpool but everyone seems to forget that Salah had one of the best single seasons in the history of the sport. It will be tough to duplicate.

Don't see how you think we've topped. If anything most of our brightest stars are just hitting their prime.

We'll have one of if not the best defense in the league.

Harry will do Harry things.

Really think Lucas will be a huge addition this season. He could be that x-factor we haven't had in the past.

Levy doesn't owe us an explanation.

Agreed. All the club need to do is ensure that results on the pitch keep us ticking along like they have the past few seasons. Brining out a statement on the window will just add fuel to the flames and make people outside the club think things didn't go our way and that we struggled. Save face, no statement is required or should be given people need to get on with things now

Edit: how many teams don't sign players in January yet no statements are demanded or given. It's ridiculous to think asking for the club to issue one has any legs

Food for thought…

If we’d had captured Grealish & Zaha at the 'advertised' prices it would have meant spending in excess of £100m NET(! LOL) on a nominal improvement to our bench.

Also, making us 3rd highest (net) spending team in the league.

Crazy times.

I agree with your assessment of the other clubs. Besides City, they all have their weaknesses. Everyone is loving Liverpool but everyone seems to forget that Salah had one of the best single seasons in the history of the sport. It will be tough to duplicate.

Don't see how you think we've topped. If anything most of our brightest stars are just hitting their prime.

We'll have one of if not the best defense in the league.

Harry will do Harry things.

Really think Lucas will be a huge addition this season. He could be that x-factor we haven't had in the past.

I think the 'topped' thing comes from end of the 16/17 season where we had the wonderful home record. Wanyama and Dembele were in stronger form and we looked a harder side to beat. That isn't to deny our current potential but I think we're not quite at that level again, there is a problem about replacing Dembele over the long term because there are few players comparable to him.

Last season was great and you can point to some of our European games as genuinely progressive, hindsight will tell us whether we will get better with this squad, I hope you're right though.

Welp...

At least we can all laugh at the frauds over at SC and the fucking idiots who actually throw money at them.

It took them 3 months of promising an influx of players until they said “NO SIGNINGS” a couple of hours before closing time:dembelelol:

114 “itk” reports on their page and only number 114 is “spot on” :dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol:

“WE ARE THE 1 %”

I think the 'topped' thing comes from end of the 16/17 season where we had the wonderful home record. Wanyama and Dembele were in stronger form and we looked a harder side to beat. That isn't to deny our current potential but I think we're not quite at that level again, there is a problem about replacing Dembele over the long term because there are few players comparable to him.

Last season was great and you can point to some of our European games as genuinely progressive, hindsight will tell us whether we will get better with this squad, I hope you're right though.

Yeah i think gone are the days were Dembele and Wanyama were the physical forces that dominated the midfield.

I think we'll be forced to change strategy and have players like Winks, Amos, maybe Dele or Eriksen who move the ball quickly instead of dribbling around and through players.

Hopefully Onomah can get healthy soon and a real shot at the CM position

This is a much more simple proposition than anyone is making out. It's either £1 Billion on a new stadium OR £1 Billion on World Class Players and stay at WHL. Votes Please...

This is a much more simple proposition than anyone is making out. It's either £1 Billion on a new stadium OR £1 Billion on World Class Players and stay at WHL. Votes Please...

Stadium. It sets us up for generations regardless of peaks and troughs. The Stadium is important as is the training ground for attracting top future talent of all ages. The club did the right thing there's no way we could keep up having a 36,000 stadium

They were better run when they were poor. Too much money for everybody and who’s spending it smarter are doing better. They are dumb as hell.

Martinez ripped up their footballing identity in the name of attacking football and rode out the fading remnants of Moyes' upside. Lukaku papered over a few cracks since, but when you look back no-one (Utd, Everton, Moyes - Who I'm confident would STILL be there otherwise!) won when Ferguson retired.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom