Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Death Star 2.0:

For what it's worth I think we still owe you one cryptic solution.

Play it again Sam
From Casablanca
White House in Spanish
The White House is in Washington DC
District of Columbia
Barrio is the Spanish word for a neighbourhood or district
Barrios of Colombia

It obviously fell through but we were interested in him.

:pochshock:
Been posted before, but worth a revisit.

Contradiction surely?

What you've described is the very same exact £100m NET + wages my previous post alludes to.... Wasn't an expectation I had for this window and I don't expect the inflated equivalent over the coming seasons until any benefit from the stadium has well and truly kicked in.

Levy mentioned "ring-fencing" funds as not to impede our spending whilst the stadium was being built... He didn't pledge record spending levels (which is was £100m NET would represent for us and the majority of clubs in the world for that matter)... I can't be the only one shocked when we dropped £40m on big Dav last year; Walker sale or not.

The way fees spiral and the generally vague (at best) insight fans are able to build of transfer budgets I think it's bold to speculate how much our legit budget is/ought to be let alone how much the club are able or prepared to stretch such figures when called upon. For me this is a HUUUUGE elephant in the room when embarking on discussions such as these. When asked, most back down on this... It's no coincidence. So props for openly offering up an opinion on that front either way.

I'll be honest, I can't fathom the price-range/vale of a player at this point even if I understand accounts/finance etc.

It baffles me how those that are cock-sure about out spending power can be so, tbh. Especially cos market pressure sare just as much dictated by the unique predicaments of EVERY other club; buying and selling alike...

Do they genuinely profess to know deep shit about all other clubs as well as Spurs?

I regard a key first team player, if astutely signed to cost £40m tops and for a prospect to cost similar to what Foyth cost if it's done correctly. I think the only exception we'll see to that is if a truly remarkable deal comes up where we push the boat out at say c£25m for a prospect or a record signing at around £50m.

The markets truly become a crazy place that makes it hard for us to compete when you look at all the numbers. We just have to hope that the majority of the teams with a money pimp or a stadium that was given to them for free have lumped their dosh on a settled spine now and the windows will slowly ease up for English clubs. At the moment it seems all a well run club needs to do is show interest in a player and their club/ agent contacts all other rivals domestically to drum up interest and blow them out of the water. It would explain why we like to do our business late when all other clocks have stockpiled their quotas for the season.

Keep our nuts down for 4-5 years, keep this ticking along with the outside chance of a cup or title and then we'll have a little more weight to throw around when it comes to not having to play a certain game with deals in and out. I'd be happy with 1st team signing and a hot kid like a Foyth etc each season to keep this steady. Why spend money that you really don't know will be wisely spent when you have things to pay for at the same time

Contradiction surely?

What you've described is the very same exact £100m NET + wages my previous post alludes to.... Wasn't an expectation I had for this window and I don't expect the inflated equivalent over the coming seasons until any benefit from the stadium has well and truly kicked in.

Levy mentioned "ring-fencing" funds as not to impede our spending whilst the stadium was being built... He didn't pledge record spending levels (which is was £100m NET would represent for us and the majority of clubs in the world for that matter)... I can't be the only one shocked when we dropped £40m on big Dav last year; Walker sale or not.

The way fees spiral and the generally vague (at best) insight fans are able to build of transfer budgets I think it's bold to speculate how much our legit budget is/ought to be let alone how much the club are able or prepared to stretch such figures when called upon. For me this is a HUUUUGE elephant in the room when embarking on discussions such as these. When asked, most back down on this... It's no coincidence. So props for openly offering up an opinion on that front either way.

I'll be honest, I can't fathom the price-range/vale of a player at this point even if I understand accounts/finance etc.

It baffles me how those that are cock-sure about out spending power can be so, tbh. Especially cos market pressure sare just as much dictated by the unique predicaments of EVERY other club; buying and selling alike...

Do they genuinely profess to know deep shit about all other clubs as well as Spurs?

Can't remember where, but there was a pretty nice piece of financial analysis going around showing that Spurs were spending the least of their income in the league on player wages- and not by an insignificant margin.
If I recall correctly, we are spending 41% of our income on wages while most other clubs are spending at around the 60% mark.

This means we could be spending 50% more on wages and be in line with the average club in the league.

-Same TV revenue as other clubs
-Better CL revenue than all but 3 other clubs

I know we have the stadium and all, but still, we are clearly a rich and profitable club with a rich cash flow. We've got a shit ton of spending power, if we wanted to use it.

ENIC is a business though and they want to grow the value of the asset (THFC) while taking on as little debt as possible (devalues asset).

It's the clash between our fantasy of a club that wants compete above all else versus the reality of a club that wants to compete as much as it can, while always remaining very profitable, while wanting to grow at a rapid pace. Therein lies the rub.

Has to be said a total washout of a transfer window which will hardly be a morale booster as we head into the new stadium.. Bottom line Levy still not willing to pay the going rate in transfer fees, which with all the money awash in the game have gone up. and we are not acting like the 11th wealthiest club in the world! After being told the playing budget was ring fenced it is Interesting to see Poch now quoting the costs of the training ground, the stadium and BREXIT for us not signing a single player!!
Having saved ourselves any transfer fees might we be able to go back to Toby with improved terms? Although the fact that not a single offer came in for him lessons his bargaining power a touch but it would soften the blow of a lack of signings if one of the best CB's in the country committed to a long term contract.

I regard a key first team player, if astutely signed to cost £40m tops and for a prospect to cost similar to what Foyth cost if it's done correctly. I think the only exception we'll see to that is if a truly remarkable deal comes up where we push the boat out at say c£25m for a prospect or a record signing at around £50m.

The markets truly become a crazy place that makes it hard for us to compete when you look at all the numbers. We just have to hope that the majority of the teams with a money pimp or a stadium that was given to them for free have lumped their dosh on a settled spine now and the windows will slowly ease up for English clubs. At the moment it seems all a well run club needs to do is show interest in a player and their club/ agent contacts all other rivals domestically to drum up interest and blow them out of the water. It would explain why we like to do our business late when all other clocks have stockpiled their quotas for the season.

Keep our nuts down for 4-5 years, keep this ticking along with the outside chance of a cup or title and then we'll have a little more weight to throw around when it comes to not having to play a certain game with deals in and out. I'd be happy with 1st team signing and a hot kid like a Foyth etc each season to keep this steady. Why spend money that you really don't know will be wisely spent when you have things to pay for at the same time
Ah here’s where’s jesters alias is derived

We have an excellent side. So what if there aren't any new presents under the tree this summer? We're satiated with top class players all throughout as it is. The winter transfer will be the time to add pieces if needed.

Martinez ripped up their footballing identity in the name of attacking football and rode out the fading remnants of Moyes' upside. Lukaku papered over a few cracks since, but when you look back no-one (Utd, Everton, Moyes - Who I'm confident would STILL be there otherwise!) won when Ferguson retired.

Poor Moyes- I actually liked him as Everton coach- was running a nice lil rebel alliance act til he sipped from the poison chalice.

Harry Winks has played more top level football, including CL than N'Dombele. He has 37 more Premiership appearances.

Ruben Neves has never played in the Premier League either.

You're talking utter fraff.

Harry Winks is far, far more proven than Ligue 1 fodder and Championship/Primeira Liga fodder.

In the last two years Winks played a total of 1200 minutes of PL football and 600 minutes of European football. Last season alone NDombele played just over 2050 minutes of Ligue 1 football and 700 of European football.

NDombele was exactly the type of player we desperately needed, and he was gettable.

We have an excellent side. So what if there aren't any new presents under the tree this summer? We're satiated with top class players all throughout as it is. The winter transfer will be the time to add pieces if needed.
Good idea let’s hope Levy makes up for his fuck up during the winter transfer window all will become glaringly clear by then

How about 500 million on a new stadium. And 500 million on the football team..I know that sounds simplistic, but the stadium itself isnt costing 1 billion.
And it'll increase revenue exponentially, is not being paid for out of ENICs pockets, will have huge amounts of third party investment, as well as NFL subsidies to massively offset the overall expenditure.
Not to mention that Levy himself said it would have no impact on our transfer budget, other than making us more able to compete.

Do you understand the rules at all? you can't spend money on players that you don't earn, that's not just economics it's FFP and EPL rules ... we currently have an income of 300m that compares with Utd 730m, City 560m, Woolwich 500m, Chelsea 478m and Dippers 431m .... you can't just magic a billion out of thin air ....

It's like you wanting a fleet of Ferraris on a shelf-stackers salary .... never going to happen

Our transfer budget most seasons is invariable zero - we balance the in's with out's - just the same as we've done this window ....

What we have done (and hopefully will continue to do) is increase our wages bill to allow us to keep the good players we already have ....

Only time will tell if that strategy is a good one, but at least it's a realistic one ....

Do you understand the rules at all? you can't spend money on players that you don't earn, that's not just economics it's FFP and EPL rules ... we currently have an income of 300m that compares with Utd 730m, City 560m, Woolwich 500m, Chelsea 478m and Dippers 431m .... you can't just magic a billion out of thin air ....

It's like you wanting a fleet of Ferraris on a shelf-stackers salary .... never going to happen

Our transfer budget most seasons is invariable zero - we balance the in's with out's - just the same as we've done this window ....

What we have done (and hopefully will continue to do) is increase our wages bill to allow us to keep the good players we already have ....

Only time will tell if that strategy is a good one, but at least it's a realistic one ....
Factor in depreciation tho

This season, I want us to win a cup (league, FA or Premiership Trophy....anything really) just so I can phone in to TalkSport and tell Adrian Durham that he's a clueless cunt.

Obviously I won't use that word on air.......I'll probably just say stupid cunt.

What does our scouts do? Surely there are quality players out there that can be picked up without spending over the odds on players.

I think that's a fair angle of enquiry, but.... I'll add to that a rhetorical 'is Poch too picky?'.

Levy always regarded as a hard negotiator, when was the last bargain buy we got, free transfer, loan. Look at Gomes, Meyer, Kovacic. All three would of been quality additions to our squad.

Dele was a bargain.... Foyth looking good. Tripper 3m Dier 4m...... Eriksen 14m and nice priceless.

We get 'em..... Harry cost nish! :kanegoal:

Loans are a funny one... No option to buy you're just developing players for bigger clubs and back to square 1 when they leave. Most times not worth our effort.

I think if we got have got a loan to buy we have been more interested in Kovacic.

Chavs are just keeping him happy for when Modric leaves next summer. Much like Ronaldo/Bale, there's a changing of the guard at the Bernabau.

I’m not jealous of a spastic shopping spree like evertons it’s just doomed to fail. As previously mentioned out core A team can beat anyone it’s the bench that’s concerning but “top” players won’t concede to that role anyway. Llorente has to come good his track record is literally world class

Everton's starting XI when we beat them at the start of the season last year:

Pickford, Keane, Williams, Martina, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Gueye, Baines, Rooney, Klaassen, Sandro

Probable starting XI this year will be Pickford, Zouma (if he signed in the end) Mina, Digne, Coleman, Gueye, Gomes, Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Bernard, Tosun

3 players from their starting XI last year. Absolutely incredible an established Premier League team does that. Crazy times

Agreed. All the club need to do is ensure that results on the pitch keep us ticking along like they have the past few seasons. Brining out a statement on the window will just add fuel to the flames and make people outside the club think things didn't go our way and that we struggled. Save face, no statement is required or should be given people need to get on with things now

Edit: how many teams don't sign players in January yet no statements are demanded or given. It's ridiculous to think asking for the club to issue one has any legs

I think they should make a very concise and conservative statement about the window.
It'd be a very poor decision to blatantly ignore some of their most passionate supporters.
Media relations people are pros at this stuff and it should be easy to do:

Dear THFC ST: The Club is truly sorry to hear of your displeasure at the results of our activities in this past transfer window. We made our best efforts to find players that could improve the side at a reasonable cost, but in the end, the difficulties in doing so were too great to overcome. We have utmost confidence in the quality of the squad presently assembled and believe we have the quality needed to compete for top honors in the Premier league this season. With investments made to complete our new stadium, as well as to re-sign our beloved manager and World Cup Golden Boot winning Striker, we believe that ultimately we were successful in securing the future of the club despite the lack of transfer activity. As a show of good faith, please find this affixed coupon for 5% off any purchase from our Cheese Room. Love, THFC/ENIC

Back
Top Bottom