Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's apparently bringing his entire family with him. I have visions of the Clampetts arriving in their Hillbilly truck.
He's just having it's emission test done....
deer-pick-up-truck.jpg

Don't compare this season with last. We are playing at Wembley now that requires pace much more than WHL did.
You're being silly.

It doesn't require any more pace than when we smashed Leicester 6-1 on a field almost identical to Wembley, or when we demolished Hull 7-1 on a field much larger than Wembley.

Pitch size 90% does not matter.

Just because we did well last year without much pace up top it doesn't mean we don't need it or it wouldn't improve us.

Don't see how it's so hard to understand what options pace there would add to the team. More options for through balls, better outlet when under pressure, another dimension to trying to pass through teams etc.

The good thing is that the lack of pace is testament to our strength in other areas of the game. It's the final piece almost.

I get the feeling people are pissed off with the over hyping of speed merchants (and beasts) and the FIFA culture of "99 pace" etc and thus going the opposite way and saying it's not needed. Well it is, especially at this level and it doesn't make you a romantic or purist to dismiss this attribute.

Just because we did well last year without much pace up top it doesn't mean we don't need it or it wouldn't improve us.

Don't see how it's so hard to understand what options pace there would add to the team. More options for through balls, better outlet when under pressure, another dimension to trying to pass through teams etc.

The good thing is that the lack of pace is testament to our strength in other areas of the game. It's the final piece almost.

I get the feeling people are pissed off with the over hyping of speed merchants (and beasts) and the FIFA culture of "99 pace" etc and thus going the opposite way and saying it's not needed. Well it is, especially at this level and it doesn't make you a romantic or purist to dismiss this attribute.

No doubt - but it's not a disaster.

Not by a long shot.

I don't understand the argument against pace here. Not saying a speed merchant like Lennon would be the best option, but we definitely need a direct running fast attacking player. How many would say no to Harry Kane becoming quicker than he is now. Irrespective of your footballing skills, having a good acceleration with the ball is a definite plus. That's what makes Messi so dangerous. Even if his magical dribbling doesn't work, through pure pace he can beat a player.

I think Son is close, but he doesn't have that extra pace/directness to intimidate players while running at them like Mane at Liverpool.

If Kane had that extra yard of pace then he'd be the best striker in world football.

I agree for some games throughout the season we do need that pace up front, but I wouldn't say we need it especially for Wembley.

It's not about pace in terms of a 100M runner, what we need is a player with explosive (first 5 yards) pace, with good turning and balance.

These players like Hazard, Sanchez, Coutinho etc are brilliant for when teams sit back and enable us to unlock them.

Put it this way if we had Hazard last season and Chelsea didn't we would have won the league I am confident in that. We can't buy a Hazard but I am sure we can get someone half decent.

We can scream for pace as much as we want! We have N'Koudou already, and Poch won't play him. He's got extreme pace and I'd love to see him get more of a shot - mostly due to his fine social media antics. Forever Holtby!

The pace thing is a myth.....I'd like to know how many goals Walker contributed to?

We scored 107 goals last season.

Sorry, we lacked what? Did we walk the ball into the net?

Look at our goals. Forget the mantra, go and watch our goals from last season and tell me that just because we didn't have Carl Lewis on the pitch that our attacks were laboured.

We are too patient at times, but that's not about pace. We move the ball with pace.

Walker was not our biggest threat in attack, yet is the fasted in the PL.

So what's the point here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom