Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pace thing is a myth.....I'd like to know how many goals Walker contributed to?

We scored 107 goals last season.

Sorry, we lacked what? Did we walk the ball into the net?

Look at our goals. Forget the mantra, go and watch our goals from last season and tell me that just because we didn't have Carl Lewis on the pitch that our attacks were laboured.

We are too patient at times, but that's not about pace. We move the ball with pace.

Walker was not our biggest threat in attack, yet is the fasted in the PL.

So what's the point here?
It's not a myth and it's not a mere coincidence we have targetted Sanchez , Aurier and Balde as our transfer targets who are all speed merchants.

The wembley pitch is going to cause us massive problems if we can't transition from defence to attack faster. Davies and Trippier were unwilling to overlap in the chelsea game which resulted in us having to play an extremley narrow game where everything was going through the middle.

You're being silly.

It doesn't require any more pace than when we smashed Leicester 6-1 on a field almost identical to Wembley, or when we demolished Hull 7-1 on a field much larger than Wembley.

Pitch size 90% does not matter.
You're not taking into consideration that those were away games where the tactics would be different to 'home' games at Wembley AND also games where there was nothing to play for.

No thats not a great window at all. Its a decent one (considering we sold Walker as well) but imo we need to add sufficient pace in attacking positions (Balde).
It's only a good window if these players we buy are good, contribute to the team, or at least their presence raises those in front of them. So can only start to make that assessment at the end of the season and even then for some may be not till the end of their 2nd season. Unless Chrystal balls actually do allow a glimpse into the future.

We can scream for pace as much as we want! We have N'Koudou already, and Poch won't play him. He's got extreme pace and I'd love to see him get more of a shot - mostly due to his fine social media antics. Forever Holtby!

Those N'Koudou social media skills...

DCwiLoVXYAERlSN.jpg

Gotta love the #bAnTz tho, eh?

There's a reason that Pochettino doesn't play him. Like the other Jamie-O'Hara-On-Twitter no-mark you mention, he doesn't cut the mustard in training and practice matches.

It's not a myth and it's not a mere coincidence we have targetted Sanchez , Aurier and Balde as our transfer targets who are all speed merchants.

The wembley pitch is going to cause us massive problems if we can't transition from defence to attack faster. Davies and Trippier were unwilling to overlap in the chelsea game which resulted in us having to play an extremley narrow game where everything was going through the middle.

Unless of course Pochettino has sought their services to slow them down!

We can scream for pace as much as we want! We have N'Koudou already, and Poch won't play him. He's got extreme pace and I'd love to see him get more of a shot - mostly due to his fine social media antics. Forever Holtby!
He doesn't play because he's not a Tottenham level player. He was a cheap punt that never worked out, we are now looking to offload him for a decent fee.

Those N'Koudou social media skills...

DCwiLoVXYAERlSN.jpg

Gotta love the #bAnTz tho, eh?

There's a reason that Pochettino doesn't play him. Like the other Jamie-O'Hara-On-Twitter no-mark you mention, he doesn't cut the mustard in training and practice matches.
He's also dog shit . Offered absolutely nothing when played .
1/5 cheap punts come off and only 1/10 are really good .

Obviously our attack is not lacking, most goals last season etc.

However there are always a handful of games each season that you look back and think we could have done better there. A extreme fast midfielder / winger type might be the difference to us winning more of those games, instead of looking back with regret on losses / draws.
I am all for having more and more ways to hurt teams, I am certainly not saying we have shit options at the moment. We have every base covered BUT a pacey mid / winger. Son is brilliant but he is not in the pacey bracket imo.

Pochettino must have a similar idea, going by N'Jie and then N'Koudou. The problem is they are not good enough to make a difference which is why no real game time.

It's not about pace in terms of a 100M runner, what we need is a player with explosive (first 5 yards) pace, with good turning and balance.

These players like Hazard, Sanchez, Coutinho etc are brilliant for when teams sit back and enable us to unlock them.

Put it this way if we had Hazard last season and Chelsea didn't we would have won the league I am confident in that. We can't buy a Hazard but I am sure we can get someone half decent.

Harry nearly did buy him......allegedly but he nearly bought Suarez too!

The pace thing is a myth.....I'd like to know how many goals Walker contributed to?

Look at our goals. Forget the mantra, go and watch our goals from last season and tell me that just because we didn't have Carl Lewis on the pitch that our attacks were laboured.

We are too patient at times, but that's not about pace. We move the ball with pace.

Our biggest fault is not moving the ball out of defence to attack quickly enough so that makes pace irrelevant
Instead of lateral passing get it forward quickly which is why a fully fit Lamela could be instrumental

I may be in the minority, but if these couple of transfers come off then I'll be very happy with this window. Seem pragmatic, worthwhile purchases based on what we actually need rather than just punts. Yes there are character issues in terms of Aurier, but Poch isn't a fool and will only sanction what he believes he can mould in his preferred image. This is good stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Positive rep for saying Carl Lewis

#fuckthemillenials
#windowshutssoonthankgod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom