Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed that post, but apparently it will go from €8m to €15m on 1st July from something I read, but it didn't explain why.
There's apparently a 'mandato de venta' which translates as a "power to sell" clause, never heard of it before and don't know the first thing about it. It is activated if Betis get a bid of over €9 million (not €8m as I said) although Betis would only get 85% of that, with his agent trousering the rest. Here's the story if you or others speak or can read Spanish...

Ceballos podría dejarle al Betis menos de 8 millones de euros

It says in that piece that Betis are due to meet this Thurday to offer him a "multi-million euro contract". Meanwhile, the press here are all over him joing Madrid this summer...

Last edited:
Ceballos's agent will be bombarded with calls from interested clubs this summer.

He certainly looks an exciting talent. Would love to think we're one of the clubs chasing him.

I never follow transfers closely, but I'm interested in patterns: Have a lot of names being linked tended to be pacy ones?

IMO speed/experience/set pieces is where we need to concentrate in midfield and attack. Speed more so that anything.

Son's speed was vital IMO in bridging the gap between defense and attack. I think his zippy runs benefitted Kane, Alli and especially Eriksen. And win Son pos out at the start of preseason training we need to hit the ground running at Wembley.

I'm hoping the lack of speed in the final 3rd from midfield/Kane will be a new option if the bus is parked and Dier, Dembele, Eriksen's passing isn't enough.

I actually think we can do it (add proper terrifying pace to the attack from midfield) in a pinch with Rose and Walker as out and out wingers with Davies and Trippier behind them. But I doubt Poch likes that shape. Long term it may even work as with injuries as can play right back in an injury crisis. Plus obviously Rose and Walker can play in the wingback position. So even with no signings I think we can overcome the pace issues.

But if Walker leaves (we would be stupid to sell him, we need to pay him 100k and circumvent wage ceiling via signing fee/lump sum or incentives) we need pace. In more than one position.

with Rose and Walker as out and out wingers with Davies and Trippier behind them. But I doubt Poch likes that shape.

So play Walker (who practically everyone can see is better at defending than attacking) on the wing, and Trippier (who practically everyone can see is better at attacking than defending) in defence?

Meanwhile, you have 4 slots on the pitch left (assuming 2 CBs), one of which would be Kane.

Who do you drop out of Wanyama, Dier, Eriksen, Lamela, Son, Dele, Winks, Sissoko, Janssen, Dembele - especially without leaving a "weak spine"?

You can only have 11 on the pitch.

So play Walker (who practically everyone can see is better at defending than attacking) on the wing, and Trippier (who practically everyone can see is better at attacking than defending) in defence?

Meanwhile, you have 4 slots on the pitch left (assuming 2 CBs), one of which would be Kane.

Who do you drop out of Wanyama, Dier, Eriksen, Lamela, Son, Dele, Winks, Sissoko, Janssen, Dembele - especially without leaving a "weak spine"?

The rest of the team? Fill them up with Tiny Dancers...

Id happily see us play a:

.....................................Lloris

Trippier......................Toby.................Jan.................Davies

Walker...............Wanyama/Dembele...........Eriksen...................Rose

.....................................Alli

..................................................Kane

Could be used against teams that need stretching and cant defend, like Liverpool

Last edited:
I'm not being smug.... 'cos I don't do smug.
But I am CONFIDENT that the likes of Dele, Eriksen, Kane, Lloris, Tobes & Dier will ALL still be here next season.

I'm not gonna go overboard and include Walker in there... 'cos who knows WHAT'S GOING ON in his head...
:walker:
...but the others - despite what the Press WANT to happen - will ALL stay, I'm supremely confident of that... I think!
:levywhoa:

Last edited:
There is more of a chance of us resigning Bale than Poch playing all four wing backs in the same team.

May look good on paper, but i cant see the gaffer going for it. Would leave us terribly exposed if we got caught in possession.

There is more of a chance of us resigning Bale than Poch playing all four wing backs in the same team.

May look good on paper, but i cant see the gaffer going for it. Would leave us terribly exposed if we got caught in possession.

Doesn't even look remotely look good on paper. I shudder when I remember that Chelsea game, or the Arse one where he also played a 442 and they tore through our middle. In the press conference after Sherwood kept banging on about us having "greater width", despite every cunt who'd had the misfortune to watch the game seeing that our midfield had all the strength of a wet Happy Shopper bog roll.

Fucking embarassment of a man.

Could be used against teams that need stretching and cant defend, like Liverpool

I'm more willing to trust the last 4 managers we've had that Rose isn't a winger.

That lineup/formation is like something Mourinho would use if he was scared of the opposition, as any high press would make an instant weakness

We'd lose the midfield before the game had even begun

the image rights and coverage a new signing gets in the new Nike kit will do two things. Up the exposure of Nike and help push our new kit. Can't see anything being announced until that deal has begun. We seem to keep things quiet but when finalised, release a picture of the player in a home-shirt outside our training ground. I see no reason this will change. Only contract renewals are done inside with Poch in a lovely number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom