Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone wants to strengthen the squad, but the better you get, the harder it is. I'm not against signing players, I'm against signing any old players.

Identify the players you want. Swiftly negotiate a price that all sides can live with. Bring the player in in good time for pre-season so that they can get up to speed with the new system and fitness regime.

This does not mean I think we should try to sign either Messi or Grzegorz Rasiak or even Sissoko with two hours to go on deadline day

As I said, my mistake

Your post is still bollocks tho, you're semi-implying that it was a mistake to buy our highest goalscorer.

Haha.....yes I implied that. On the back of you implying that signing Greaves helped us do the double.

Whatever, you made a very selective point and you got a selective (yet correct) answer

We're going round in circles.

I think we should strengthen the squad. Others would be fine if we didn't (but also fine if we did).

I'm right

:levylol::pochlol:

Others might feel that if Poch wants Barkley it's fine. But if if we go with Onomah or Winks that's fine too.

Both could be considered trying to strengthen, not sure why you can't grasp that

what an incomprehensible piece of tosh
put me back, because I will continue to berate you for your empty headed carping posts that show no sense of support for the team I have backed and stuck with for 50 years.
You are like so may so called supporters that whine about everything that doesn't go to your fantasist script for life, and you still post on here despite being told by multiple posters that your attitude is about as welcome and popular as a turd in a swimming pool.
When you finally realise that you don't actually know everything, you might wind your neck in, it just depends whether you are bright enough to work it out for yourself, because you don't seem to have the ability to recognise good advice when it's given to you.

when you say I came out - you better mean off your ignore list........
Hmmm On 2nd thoughts!
Another grumpy day for you it seems.
& yes because it would have been such an insult if I meant you were coming out as gay.
What an open minded & tolerant guy you are.
you seem overly paranoid about being thought of as gay. Especially by strangers on a forum.
You shouldn't care so much about what people on here think of you.
So sorry, I'll pass on taking advice from the likes of baz, schmood & sammy.
If you want to be like them, fit in with them & care lots how they view you then that's up to you. But that's not for me.

Last edited:
Hmmm On 2nd thoughts!
& yes because it would have been such an insult if I meant you were coming out as gay.
& you shouldn't care so much about what people on here think of you.
If you want to be like them & fit in with them then that's up to you.
Fucking ell Mick Cooper Mick Cooper a walkie talkie gay person who has just come out good on you Mick!

And yet other clubs manage to do so.
For the nth time, in case anyone is wondering, this has nothing to do with what people think of Lacazette or Joe Hart or Morata or Jay Rodriguez or whoever it is. The point is that the clubs in question have applied my cunning three-step plan
Yes, but have they improved? On last season's showing they haven't. We got 16 points better, with our two biggest signings playing virtually no part, and everyone except Chelsea went backwards. Everyone in the media, fans of other clubs - even many on here - said the league was between Utd and City with the rest nowhere. Some people just can't see past money.

Hmmm On 2nd thoughts!
you seem overly paranoid about being thought of as gay. Especially by strangers on a forum.
If you want to be like them, fit in with them & care lots how they view you then that's up to you. But that's not for me.

You can stop ignoring Schmoods - he left months ago. You won that one scotty.

Do you think we missed out on silverware because we didn't spend enough money last summer?
e.g. The 70M we spent was not spending?

You lauded Sissoko, but because it didn't work out, it doesn't count as buying players?

Personally I think we were a bit crap in the cups and it has nothing to do with our policy being about sacrificing silverware to build a team on the cheap.

The other day you were fawning over quotes about it being better to fail aiming high than succeed aiming low.

We just tried to win the PL by resting our strongest players in most of the cup games, but you see that as failure. I asked you about that the other day, but you decided to avoid the point as I guess it made you look like you were chasing your tail again.

The way I see it is that you want it all.

You want to aim high as that will have an "echo of glory in it" even if we fail.
But when we fail, you want to complain about sacrificing silverware because we should take all the cups seriously.

You want to brag about a young homegrown team if it works out, but if it doesn't you want marquee signings.

You want a stadium but you don't want the club to pay for it.

You want to keep all our players and pay them what they want too.

You want titles with a squad that you didn't think was top 6.

Just the bizarre stance of a toddler
Wow !
Look, the thing is Sammy, I think deep down we are all a bit resentful when we see our main rivals adding to their squad and strengthening for next season. While we sit on our hands and wait for the next special offer to present itself. All of us. But what we try and do is make ourselves feel a bit better by giving ourselves some mythical moral high ground by claiming we're doing it the right way. Rather than facing the facts as they are. We're trying to compete without spending any money. Some would say penny pinching. But if it makes us feel better to think otherwise, then that's ok.

For us that's simply not the case though which is why I find it odd that people are still so desperate to go with it.

Let's not pretend here, lots of people wanted Son sold last summer. We demand signings then write them off too quickly.

Janssen has been written off by people who will change our entire formation in the match day threads to incorporate him if he scores 5 goals in the opening month of next season.

Lemar will never be mentioned again if we are top in October. Just like he was never mentioned last season.

I just don't understand the backing so strongly of an approach that has by an large been a proven failure at Spurs, and the dismissing of one that has worked wonders time and time again.

You make some sound points mate. I just think we need 2 or 3 signings because we will see loss of form and suffer injuries. We will need greater squad depth and we must also not leave ourselves open for future intetest from the clubs whose interest can't be rebuffed.

Even now for example it is a risky game to not have a viable right bsck option other than Trippier. If he got injured in pre-season we are forced into a market where our need is only too obvious.

I get your point but we finished 2nd last season, 3rd the season before. Everyone wants to believe we might go one better this time round.

I doubt however that any conceive of that happening without additions and crucially I doubt the players would believe it as well.

We got to be active. I am sure we will be but yes, more Wanyama than Sissoko please in terns of impact and that is hard to find.

Wow !
Look, the thing is Sammy, I think deep down we are all a bit resentful when we see our main rivals adding to their squad and strengthening for next season. While we sit on our hands and wait for the next special offer to present itself. All of us. But what we try and do is make ourselves feel a bit better by giving ourselves some mythical moral high ground by claiming we're doing it the right way. Rather than facing the facts as they are. We're trying to compete without spending any money. Some would say penny pinching. But if it makes us feel better to think otherwise, then that's ok.
You genuinely don't speak for me.

I laugh that City feel the need to spend another half a billion to try and catch us.
I laugh that Chelsea know their squad had maxed out.
I laugh that Utd won a cup double but know it wasn't the ones they want, so are happy to go and plunge even further into the red on average players while leaving actual young talent rotting on the bench because their "top manager" has no man management or young coaching ability.
I laugh at Woolwich and their Wenger in out fiasco and 40M signings that see them do worse.

I actually do prefer doing it the right way, and if you think that's some kind of crazy talk, then we massively disagree and will never see eye to eye on that issue.

I accept but strongly disagree with your stance, but don't try and say that deep down I don't stand for my own views and agree with you. What a weird way of seeing others.

Hmmm On 2nd thoughts!
oh get you, you big butch new age superman!
you are so easy to take the piss out of I don't think I'll bother. like shooting ducks in a barrel

I'm in a perfectly amenable mood thanks, and you still give off the same vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom