Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what they should do, but 60m quid is 60m quid, and it's not 60m quid when he's rotting in the reserves.

He's an asset, ultimately, and whilst I'd fuck them over and fuck him off with the kids for a season to teach him a lesson, money talks. Especially to Southampton, who have a habit of selling their best players each year.

It would do Van Dijk well to remember that Southampton took a chance on him from Celtic, but no loyalty and all that.
I know we lament the money in football each summer - but this transfer window really is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Of course I want us to make a smart signing or two, but the fact that we're not currently in this circus and the current narrative is that we're going to give youth a chance is actually somewhat dignified compared to the untold millions being spunked up the wall by the rest of the top clubs.

I said this last year, but it still holds true - we have to be like Littlefinger because we just can't (currently) play them at their own game. Personally, for example, I think Salah at that price would have been a foolish signing for us (not as much as Sissoko, but you live and learn).

Aurier is an absolute cunt but i would be very tempted. The bloke has the potential to be the best in the world in his position. Seriously good when he gets his shit together. Whether poch would be willing to take the punt on him is another matter and his uk ban doesn't really work does it?

Lots of stuff flying around about Everton wanting to get Sissoko on a loan and some wag on Everton Grand Old Team site dropped following message:
A mate just showed me a snapchat of Barkley doing a medical in BUPA today in Hertfordshire. He's got Spurs shorts on the treadmill.

chicoazul, Yesterday at 2:48 PM

Not sure if this would constitute a player swap but it could go some of the way, Levy would want to sell though I reckon.

Aurier is an absolute cunt but i would be very tempted. The bloke has the potential to be the best in the world in his position. Seriously good when he gets his shit together. Whether poch would be willing to take the punt on him is another matter and his uk ban doesn't really work does it?
If bu "absolute cunt" you mean his personality, I'd really rather not have bad eggs at the club who can destabilise team morale.

This thread is so much less tense and involved than the Summer of 2015 one. THAT shitshow ran 2000 pages.

But that is because there were actually some transfers to discuss....... 5 in, 18 out / released.

Ins: Kevin Wimmer (Cologne, £4million), Kieran Trippier (Burnley, undisclosed), Toby Alderweireld (Atletico Madrid, undisclosed), Clinton Njie (Lyon, undisclosed), Son Heung-min (Bayer Leverkusen, £22million).

Outs: Paulinho (Guangzhou Evergrande, £9.9million), Jordan Archer (Millwall, free), Lewis Holtby (Hamburg, undisclosed), Etienne Capoue (Watford, undisclosed), Younes Kaboul (Sunderland, undisclosed), Benjamin Stambouli (Paris St Germain, undisclosed), Christian Ceballos (Charlton, free), Vlad Chiriches (Napoli, undisclosed), Alexander McQueen (Carlisle, free), Grant Ward (Rotherham, loan), Grant Hall (QPR, undisclosed), Shaquile Coulthirst (Wigan, loan), Connor Ogilvie (Stevenage, loan), Roberto Soldado (Villarreal, undisclosed), Ismail Azzaoui (Wolfsburg, undisclosed), Ryan Fredericks (Bristol City, undisclosed), Bongani Khumalo (released), Aaron Lennon (Everton, undisclosed).

I know we lament the money in football each summer - but this transfer window really is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Of course I want us to make a smart signing or two, but the fact that we're not currently in this circus and the current narrative is that we're going to give youth a chance is actually somewhat dignified compared to the untold millions being spunked up the wall by the rest of the top clubs.

I said this last year, but it still holds true - we have to be like Littlefinger because we just can't (currently) play them at their own game. Personally, for example, I think Salah at that price would have been a foolish signing for us (not as much as Sissoko, but you live and learn).
You say we're not involved in this transfer circus , but we are. It's just that its been one way traffic thus far. We've raked in some 80 million large ones, and we know Levy will himself inflate our own values as much as he possibly can. I'm not saying he shouldn't, but I don't see this dignified or moral high ground myself.
I think if we're really honest, what were doing is trying to maintain/build a squad on the cheap. If that means forgoing a few points at the start of each season and missing out on silverware, then so be it

mouse came out ages ago because he does actually have good football related posts which he sticks to unlike you.
& mickcooper came out ages ago too because I realised he just gets grumpy & takes it out on forum members when he does.
what an incomprehensible piece of tosh
put me back, because I will continue to berate you for your empty headed carping posts that show no sense of support for the team I have backed and stuck with for 50 years.
You are like so may so called supporters that whine about everything that doesn't go to your fantasist script for life, and you still post on here despite being told by multiple posters that your attitude is about as welcome and popular as a turd in a swimming pool.
When you finally realise that you don't actually know everything, you might wind your neck in, it just depends whether you are bright enough to work it out for yourself, because you don't seem to have the ability to recognise good advice when it's given to you.

when you say I came out - you better mean off your ignore list........

You say we're not involved in this transfer circus , but we are. It's just that its been one way traffic thus far. We've raked in some 80 million large ones, and we know Levy will himself inflate our own values as much as he possibly can. I'm not saying he shouldn't, but I don't see this dignified or moral high ground myself.
I think if we're really honest, what were doing is trying to maintain/build a squad on the cheap. If that means forgoing a few points at the start of each season and missing out on silverware, then so be it

Your perspicacity is a shining beacon of light to us all.

Clearly, however, you are unaware of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim

This guy...

giphy.gif

Clearly, however, you are unaware of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim

Perhaps you could give an example of a successful football club that has applied this maxim, not just recently, but ever?

In 1961 we were easily the best team in the country and probably top three in Europe. About as far from broke as it was possible to be. Bill Nicholson's response was to sign Jimmy Greaves to challenge Les Allen who'd scored 23 League goals and 4 in the Cup during the double season.

That worked out OK.

This whole Van Dijk saga is confusing me.

If he throws his toys out of the pram and Liverpool come back in for him in the same transfer window they previously got found out for tapping and publicly removed themselves from the whole thing...

What's the fucking point, anymore? Surely that's just zero consequences for utterly scummy behaviour. Southampton should officially alert the FA and give the scousers what they deserve.
The FA already investigated the matter and found nothing wrong. This isn't the first time Southampton threw a tantrum and reported a team for tapping up their players. They did it with Clyne and Sjneiderlin and even tried to report Spurs when they nipped Alderweirald. Southampton never had a case,if they did they would have fucked Liverpool over first time of asking. Not using it as threats to let them stay clear of Van Dijk. There is no proof of klopp meeting with Van dijk in Blackpool either. Just another hoax from the salty Saints. Small time club. Always has been,always will be.

Do you think we missed out on silverware because we didn't spend enough money last summer?
e.g. The 70M we spent was not spending?

You lauded Sissoko, but because it didn't work out, it doesn't count as buying players?

Personally I think we were a bit crap in the cups and it has nothing to do with our policy being about sacrificing silverware to build a team on the cheap.

The other day you were fawning over quotes about it being better to fail aiming high than succeed aiming low.

We just tried to win the PL by resting our strongest players in most of the cup games, but you see that as failure. I asked you about that the other day, but you decided to avoid the point as I guess it made you look like you were chasing your tail again.

The way I see it is that you want it all.

You want to aim high as that will have an "echo of glory in it" even if we fail.
But when we fail, you want to complain about sacrificing silverware because we should take all the cups seriously.

You want to brag about a young homegrown team if it works out, but if it doesn't you want marquee signings.

You want a stadium but you don't want the club to pay for it.

You want to keep all our players and pay them what they want too.

You want titles with a squad that you didn't think was top 6.

Just the bizarre stance of a toddler

Everyone taps up everyone. The rule is ridiculously outdated, hence the reason hardly anyone is ever fined for it.

I would bet my house that in every signing we have made in recent years, the first contact was with the player in question's agent rather than his club, as is required.
You're probably right, but the trick is not to get caught. Liverpool, with their fondness for briefing the Liverpool Echo about their targets, aren't very good at it.

Perhaps you could give an example of a successful football club that has applied this maxim, not just recently, but ever?

In 1961 we were easily the best team in the country and probably top three in Europe. About as far from broke as it was possible to be. Bill Nicholson's response was to sign Jimmy Greaves to challenge Les Allen who'd scored 23 League goals and 4 in the Cup during the double season.

That worked out OK.

We spent 70M last season and only one 12M player made an impact.

So the point that has been made is that it's about the right player, not just any player.

People would jump around like the title was sewn up we signed Silva and Lemar tomorrow. They might be this years Janssen and Sissoko only for 100M+ though.

That's the crux here......people talking about improvements. How many have seen those players play though? Be honest. I mean how many people can actually say that Lemar is better than Lamela and Son and will improve us?

None. People tried to laugh at the thought of going with Edwards.....well they did the same when Harry Redknaop said before anyone that Dele was better than Pogba.

Not so funny now is it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom