Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you could give an example of a successful football club that has applied this maxim, not just recently, but ever?

In 1961 we were easily the best team in the country and probably top three in Europe. About as far from broke as it was possible to be. Bill Nicholson's response was to sign Jimmy Greaves to challenge Les Allen who'd scored 23 League goals and 4 in the Cup during the double season.

That worked out OK.
Well it didn't really - we never won the league again. ;)

Perhaps you could give an example of a successful football club that has applied this maxim, not just recently, but ever?

In 1961 we were easily the best team in the country and probably top three in Europe. About as far from broke as it was possible to be. Bill Nicholson's response was to sign Jimmy Greaves to challenge Les Allen who'd scored 23 League goals and 4 in the Cup during the double season.

That worked out OK.
I didn't say it was impossible to improve our current team and set up
but we all know that Levy is a business orientated chairman, and he has to run a club which is about to spunk a lot of money on a new stadium, so the finances have to be managed with real care.
We see players at the moment going for massively inflated sums that are calculated on the money swilling around the industry, rather than the actual worth of the players involved, stoked by the financially doped clubs paying vast salaries and transfer fees

I am of a mind that it will cement player loyalty within the club if they see they are not being treated like toys, and it makes fiscal sense not to buy another Sissoko who I am sure would have hardly made the lower earners happy to see a bozo like him rock up and claim top salary, and then play like my mother.

On balance - I'd say keep the team intact, work on the motivation and belief and go again was the best way forward.

Unless we suddenly blow our salary structure and Joe Lewis dumps his savings into the coffers - then we should go in for Aubeymayang, Neymar, Messi and get Bale back

It's amazing isn't it.....he used signing a player after our best season in history as an example of buying to improve, when after that we never achieved the same level again.
the team was ageing and a few of the team were past their sell by date. Plus we lost White to a freak accident. I don't think our current team are in that position, the average age suggests that we could run another couple of seasons on the same squad and just buy subs and early cup round players to rest the stars

Last edited:
You make a good point to a degree.

Janssen to a lesser extent but certainly Sissoko have not shown much or enough to engender confidencr but that's down to scouts and Pochettino. We did not force either purchase as fans but equally it is a tad nonsensical to endorse cheaper purchases on the back of the better buy costing 12 million pounds.

The stats I suggest would usually back a more expensive signing being better in quality than a cheaper one but how much better do they have to be and how do you quantify it?

We need players and we must have a stash of money, new stadium notwithstanding.

If we are waiting for clubs to blink then it is at a risk but Mourinho, Conte and Guardiola whilst facing minimal financial restriction know the value of a squad that can be integrated over a longer period.

Year on year we are playing catch-up in that regard when it comes to bringing in new players.

Sadly or inevitably this window is likely to see our record transfer broken for a player who is not going to create a 'wow' feeling. The nature of the beast but like house prices in this country, the insanity of the market as opposed to anything else.

Shurely shome mishtake???

spurs_double_team_photo1961.jpg
You said the '61 team? What's the mistake?

The stats I suggest would usually back a more expensive signing being better in quality than a cheaper one but how much better do they have to be and how do you quantify it?

For us that's simply not the case though which is why I find it odd that people are still so desperate to go with it.

Let's not pretend here, lots of people wanted Son sold last summer. We demand signings then write them off too quickly.

Janssen has been written off by people who will change our entire formation in the match day threads to incorporate him if he scores 5 goals in the opening month of next season.

Lemar will never be mentioned again if we are top in October. Just like he was never mentioned last season.

I just don't understand the backing so strongly of an approach that has by an large been a proven failure at Spurs, and the dismissing of one that has worked wonders time and time again.

It's amazing isn't it.....he used signing a player after our best season in history as an example of buying to improve, when after that we never achieved the same level again.
Err yes Greaves signed after the double my friend
As I said, my mistake

Your post is still bollocks tho, you're semi-implying that it was a mistake to buy our highest goalscorer.

Mine was a reply to someone arguing "if its broke, don't fix it", when that maxim has never been applicable to successful teams. Not to Liverpool in the 70s, or United in the 90s/00s, or Arsen*l, or Chelsea, or Madrid, or FCB, or Bayern or anyone else.

That's not to say we shouldn't have signed Greaves - of course we should've, but building a successful team must be far more complex than we imagine - signing players is only a part of it.

As I said, my mistake

Your post is still bollocks tho, you're semi-implying that it was a mistake to buy our highest goalscorer.

Mine was a reply to someone arguing "if its broke, don't fix it", when that maxim has never been applicable to successful teams. Not to Liverpool in the 70s, or United in the 90s/00s, or Arsen*l, or Chelsea, or Madrid, or FCB, or Bayern or anyone else.
my answer was to a poster who wants everything all at once and shits all of our players all of the time and thinks his type of support is justifiable in all cases.
I hope I qualified my position - but to reiterate, I would be delighted if we signed another Greaves standard player,
like another Modric for instance........

at a price we can afford in our current financial position

You know, in my town there are families who are continually spending. Every year they buy better, newer cars, enjoy lavish holidays all over the world, indulge their kids with the latest gadgets, and are out on the town every weekend.
I often see them in the latest fashions and it is very much, 'De Rigueur' to 'keep up with the Joneses.'

My family don't do that. We live a more frugal lifestyle, as we are saving as much as we can as we are moving into a new house next year which is twice the size of our present one.
Subsequently we have reigned back on our spending, making do without the latest 'must have' gadgets. Our holidays for the past couple of years have been more modest, and we keenly look for bargains when we need to replace items in the home.

We still have a lifestyle envied by some, but we have learned from past mistakes when we have been too extravagant. True, others may be seen to be more successful by todays shallow standards, but we know that we wont end up mired in debt, like our neighbours Mr and Mrs. Leeds, the Portsmouths, Mr. Brum and the Forests.
We also resist invitations to be like the vulgar Mr. Chelski, Mr. and Mrs. Abbidabbi Do, and those families that have sold their houses to shadowy Chinese Estate Agents.
By continuing to live within our means, we believe that we will be able to enjoy a better lifestyle when we move into our fantastic new home. Yes, it will mean a bigger Mortgage, but we will achieve a much better return as we have been approached by some very rich people to hire our garden out for large functions.
When I see how destitute some of the townsfolk are, and look at the terrifying debt being piled up by some of our neighbours, I'm glad that we stayed true to our roots. Some of my family sometimes get envious of the short term benefits of these people, but we always get over it as we are stronger that that.

It is very satisfying then, when people tell us how much they admire us and the way we carry ourselves.

You know, in my town there are families who are continually spending. Every year they buy better, newer cars, enjoy lavish holidays all over the world, indulge their kids with the latest gadgets, and are out on the town every weekend.
I often see them in the latest fashions and it is very much, 'De Rigueur' to 'keep up with the Joneses.'

My family don't do that. We live a more frugal lifestyle, as we are saving as much as we can as we are moving into a new house next year which is twice the size of our present one.
Subsequently we have reigned back on our spending, making do without the latest 'must have' gadgets. Our holidays for the past couple of years have been more modest, and we keenly look for bargains when we need to replace items in the home.

We still have a lifestyle envied by some, but we have learned from past mistakes when we have been too extravagant. True, others may be seen to be more successful by todays shallow standards, but we know that we wont end up mired in debt, like our neighbours Mr and Mrs. Leeds, the Portsmouths, Mr. Brum and the Forests.
We also resist invitations to be like the vulgar Mr. Chelski, Mr. and Mrs. Abbidabbi Do, and those families that have sold their houses to shadowy Chinese Estate Agents.
By continuing to live within our means, we believe that we will be able to enjoy a better lifestyle when we move into our fantastic new home. Yes, it will mean a bigger Mortgage, but we will achieve a much better return as we have been approached by some very rich people to hire our garden out for large functions.
When I see how destitute some of the townsfolk are, and look at the terrifying debt being piled up by some of our neighbours, I'm glad that we stayed true to our roots. Some of my family sometimes get envious of the short term benefits of these people, but we always get over it as we are stronger that that.

It is very satisfying then, when people tell us how much they admire us and the way we carry ourselves.

But have you won the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom