Summer 2012 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... vertonghen

Although be it off Goal.com it looks like it could be completed this week! This is Tottenham though so anything could happen!

banndervaart said:
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/09/3089988/tottenham-beat-Woolwich-to-signing-81m-vertonghen

Although be it off Goal.com it looks like it could be completed this week! This is Tottenham though so anything could happen!

there is 1 sentence in that article which really stands out to me.
"It is understood that the defender, who was named Eredivisie player of the year, wants to join Spurs irrespective of whether they play in next season’s Champions League."
we could have a future legend in the making if this is true.

Belgium's no 3 cenre back on his way.... I will get out the bunting..... Dawson Caulker Gallas/King plus the leg end that is Kaboom will suffice- we need to sort out the attack and the wide players...plus Modric's replacement of course

blingblingwideface said:
Belgium's no 3 cenre back on his way.... I will get out the bunting..... Dawson Caulker Gallas/King plus the leg end that is Kaboom will suffice- we need to sort out the attack and the wide players...plus Modric's replacement of course

Well both King and Gallas aren't ever fully fit and to be honest Dawson has been pretty injury prone the last season or two.

I'd be happy with Vertonghen and Kaboul as our starting pair with Caulker as an understudy along with Dawson.

1) Scott Mulligan ‏ @ScottMulligan82
Vertonghen deal is done. Will have medical next week. €11m #COYS

2) Anthony Froom ‏ @AnthonyFroom
@ScottMulligan82 Are you sure mate, been reported? Last I heard we were only offering 5m Euros and they want 11m (typical tight Levy!)

3) Scott Mulligan ‏ @ScottMulligan82
@AnthonyFroom im sure it's done, the guy who told me also told me about VDV signing an hour before Sky knew

4) Anthony Froom ‏ @AnthonyFroom
@ScottMulligan82 Just seems very unlike Levy like to jump up 6m Euros in the blink of an eye! Hope your man is correct :)

5) Scott Mulligan ‏ @ScottMulligan82
@AnthonyFroom negotiations been going on for months apparently. Remember it's 11m euros which is about 9.5 million pounds. Ajax wanted 12

:adegrin:

EssexYid said:
I'd be happy with Vertonghen and Kaboul as our starting pair with Caulker as an understudy along with Dawson.
Rotate that shit!

From what I hear I think I'd rather rotate a partnership of Kaboul + Caulker and Vertonghen + Dawson, with the unused Kaboul or Vertonghen on the bench. Sounds to me like Vertonghen and Kaboul are somewhat similar in their style. Both like to get forward, and they can fill in at LB and RB, respectively, if needed in a pinch. I'd pair either of the two with a more purely defensive CB like Dawson or Caulker to get a kind of "double pivot" center pairing.

They've both got a lot of worth as utility players in their ability to play multiple roles, so I think there's a strong case for rotating them with one on the bench, and the other as an impact/utility sub that can take over a CB spot or slot into WB while still fresh and do a job.

Kaboul has had a pretty good season, I'd feel comfortable that the combo of Kaboul + Caulker would be fucking narsty, and then I think Dawson would be a good team veteran that knows the system, and would help Vertonghen adjust to Spurs and the EPL fast.

Ledley as Player/Manager :ledleylick:

But that's just the "Football Manager" coming out in me.

Note: This tactic is, of course, contingent on Vertonghen panning out and actually performing like we're lead to believe he will.

edit: But the idea of Kaboul + Vertonghen does scratch a certain itch, and tickles me in a few places. I think an aggressive pairing like this might leave us too open at the back against better teams, but would be entertaining football to watch against the lower third clubs.

CJM said:
1) Scott Mulligan ‏ @ScottMulligan82
Vertonghen deal is done. Will have medical next week. €11m #COYS

0.jpg

Mirror reporting that Nigel De Jong, Edin Dzeko, Kolo Toure, Stefan Savic and Adam Johnson could all be on their way out of Man City - I'd take De Jong, Dzeko, Toure and Johnson - but this aint football manager, so just Johnson and Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom