Spurs v Villa Sunday 26 Nov 2pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just got home. Taking account of injuries I would say that might have been our best performance of the season.

No way did we deserve to lose that. Terrible defending for the second goal though and too many missed chances. Small margins fuck us again. If bentancur stays on we win that.

I definitely have faith in Ange but I don't think its unreasonable to wonder about a plan B here and there where circumstances warrant it .We are very unlikely to get a full squad of top players so we need someone to work with some different levels of players.We have had terrible bad luck with all the injuries coming at the same time so we will to suck it up especially over the next while .Hopefully we will still be within touch of top four when the injury situation clears up .

He isn’t that type of guy. The club and players either adapt to him or he becomes another manager that doesn’t quite make it at the club.

Other clubs like City, Arse, Pool, Brighton adapt and support their managers. We either go 100% in on him or we can continue to go round in circles.

Also it’s not about the short term results. If Ange start compromising now it will show he doesn’t 100% trust his methods, if we sit deep and counter to deal with our injury crisis it will make it long term harder to perfect plan A.

His plan A is fine, many of the players are just not quite good enough for that plan.

I actually didn’t think he did too bad except not booking their keeper. Better than a few of them we’ve had this season for sure.
Cash borderline red in fairness was probably in between a yellow and red but the elbow to Gil was a bad miss. In fairness his mates on VAR must have been sleeping

13 games into the process, and I think there were more positives to take out of that game that the stupid Chelsea 7/1 defensive line bollocks or the Dier/Hojbjerg fudge cake at Wolves.

We played fucking well first half, and though there was a clear drop off second half to our pressing (which directly cost us the second goal) we still largely dominated and stayed on the front foot.

I was a bit concerned when I saw the line up, but fair fucks, I think it largely worked. That first half was as close to a Pep type performance as I think I’ve seen from us. For a chunk of the game was squeezed into the central 30 metres of the pitch, but we were moving the ball well, and created some great situations. That’s the shakiest I’ve seen Villa (though I haven’t watched many of their 90’s)

Lo Celso the biggest plus. Was probably the Motm today. We now know we have a genuine squad option, who can add creativity, back up Maddison or play with him as the other 8 in the 433. This is the structure and style of football that suits him. Just needs to stay fit.

Emerson was perfectly good as the RCB, much better than having Dier out there. And Gil, was decent in build up and works hard off the ball. He can probably also offer an alternative to Kulusevski’s plodding this season too.

Bentancur was doing ok in the 6 remit too, prior to going off. He’s a bit short of Bissouma’s physicality, athleticism, tenacity and pressure resistance, but a decent back up and better than Hot Potato Hojbjerg in the role.

Been saying this for a long while now, but our forward/attacking options are fucking poor and are letting us down terribly.

We pissed away so many great chances and situations to make great chances today with low IQ choices or actions and poor execution it was fucking woeful.

110m on bottom table players like Richarlison and Johnson is tragic business.
Largely agree with this. Lo Celsius had a good game, some of the first half footy was exhilarating and we should've had 3 or 4 by half time as Villa just couldn't live with us. Some of the movement and interplay was superb, but ultimately undone by piss poor finishing.

At half time some of us expressed concern about fatigue and injuries. I know you compared that to a Pep like performance, but it's more like a Pep team from a few seasons ago - they (or Liverpool now) don't quite press with the same intensity as they used to. I think both managers have become slightly more pragmatic, they're still committed to pressing and high lines but their players pick and choose their moments more. Son was like a lunatic today but looked exhausted with 20 to go. Haaland doesn't press like that. I think it's evolved and I'm worried that our thin squad will struggle to cope, not only in games but also over a whole season. These are lessons City and Liverpool have learned I think. The intensity we played at first half was amazing to watch at the ground but impossible to sustain. And I would just like us to manage the game a little better, sometimes slow things down, take a breather, be a bit more composed (especially around the box) and create pressure around the box before slinging the ball in or taking a pot shot.

Everyone was fully committed, I don't blame Davies or Emerson for not being Romero or VDV or PEH for not being Benta or Bis, we played a team to win, it was exciting but frustrating to lose to a team we're better than.

I don't think Gil is suited to play wide, he's not quick and would've preferred him swapped with Kulu - centrally would suit him better I think, he's a cute and clever player in tight spaces, not a tricky, beat a man, wide player.

Said at the time lo celsius going off would lose us control and it did, the young lad only touched the ball once I think, again not his fault, he's just not ready yet. I guess Richy would've come on if fit.

Still it's early days and we've shown we can play despite all the injuries and suspensions (Romero, VDV, Sess, Bis, Sarr, Mad, Solomon, Richy, Perisic and Benta is a LOT, virtually another complete team). And the footy is entertaining again. I just wish we weren't playing City next...

He isn’t that type of guy. The club and players either adapt to him or he becomes another manager that doesn’t quite make it at the club.

Other clubs like City, Arse, Pool, Brighton adapt and support their managers. We either go 100% in on him or we can continue to go round in circles.

Also it’s not about the short term results. If Ange start compromising now it will show he doesn’t 100% trust his methods, if we sit deep and counter to deal with our injury crisis it will make it long term harder to perfect plan A.

His plan A is fine, many of the players are just not quite good enough for that plan.
Fair points just to me it's a bit restricting to more or less depend on one plan as it would depend on us having the right number and quality of players to stay the course doing it that way .It will take a lot of money or really good scouting to bring our squad to seriously sustain a challenge for the top honours.

I think what you post isn't support !!
If by that you mean...I don't blindly follow or support the same old thing over and over and over...with the same outcomes and disappointment and the same lies from our owners, then yes
I'm disillusioned with my club, I don't believe anything any of them say, that's not anges fault. But I have blindly supported this club fir over 30 years. I'm sick of the lies and the embarrassment these owners have brought on us. They have destroyed my love for what was the beautiful game, I wish I could trust them and that ange would get the backing he and this club desperately needs and we could all get behind him and watch him prove how good he really is....but that's not going to happen and we all know how this ends..it makes me feel sick thinking about it, even though I have seen it all before. I should be used to it and as most people on here seem to be.... . Just accept it, but I really can't.. . Sorry, I genuinely am. I never purposely want to complain about my club. But that is where this has ended up, and as time goes by more of you will realise hopefully how much of a shit show this all is..
Trust me ange won't get backed, this won't get much better because it can't with these owners

Fair points just to me it's a bit restricting to more or less depend on one plan as it would depend on us having the right number and quality of players to stay the course doing it that way .It will take a lot of money or really good scouting to bring our squad to seriously sustain a challenge for the top honours.

Yeh but that is the case however we do it. Many clubs are building squads, we can’t just build a first 11. I honestly think had we got an elite attacker to replace Kane and most obviously a spare CB like Kelly we would have 6-9 points over the last 3 games where the small margins worked against us.

The system is great but we have probably 5-10 players on the books who ain’t suited. Ndombele, Lloris, Dier, Davies, Sessgenon, Royal, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Richarlison will probably be all gone in 1-2 seasons. Some of them are decent players but to me don’t seem like a good fit.

Moving these players on and then with our youth team and scouting/buying players replacing them with more suitable players will give us the depth to support the plan A Ange wants.

Right now we have to use players that clear aren’t suited to this type of football and it’s killing us.

One thing I will say is, how different was this game to when they beat us last season 2 nil. We were an embarrassment that day. It was pure Conte shite. Today we looked a completely different side. I’m taking that positive.

So don't play it then.

If we keep on losing, the trust will start to waiver, there is no hiding from that, so hopefully we can pick up some points after the next few weeks.
People have eyes and common sense. They can see that we're playing well and that we've been destroyed by injuries. Even if we lose the next 5 the trust wouldn't waiver one bit with the way we're playing. Ange is the manager with the least pressure in the League.

Yeh but that is the case however we do it. Many clubs are building squads, we can’t just build a first 11. I honestly think had we got an elite attacker to replace Kane and most obviously a spare CB like Kelly we would have 6-9 points over the last 3 games where the small margins worked against us.

The system is great but we have probably 5-10 players on the books who ain’t suited. Ndombele, Lloris, Dier, Davies, Sessgenon, Royal, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Richarlison will probably be all gone in 1-2 seasons. Some of them are decent players but to me don’t seem like a good fit.

Moving these players on and then with our youth team and scouting/buying players replacing them with more suitable players will give us the depth to support the plan A Ange wants.

Right now we have to use players that clear aren’t suited to this type of football and it’s killing us.
It will take a while to get that list of players off the books and that is presuming our current best lads stay or keep their form .It obviously takes time but time is something in short supply in the world of football management.

People have eyes and common sense. They can see that we're playing well and that we've been destroyed by injuries. Even if we lose the next 5 the trust wouldn't waiver one bit with the way we're playing. Ange is the manager with the least pressure in the League.
Every club has injuries, that is the nature of the sport.
If the club keep losing for weeks, those eyes and patience will be tested, again the nature of football.

Back
Top Bottom