Spurs v Villa Sunday 26 Nov 2pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kulusevski is a waste of space and so overrated.Closes all the space down running inside all the time and his shooting is so erratic

We all knew that it wasn't going to happen this season, but when you come up against average teams, and I include the Chavs in that, when you go in front you should not lose.
We have shown once again that we cannot defend a lead with key players missing. We really need to address this weakness.

Largely agree with this. Lo Celsius had a good game, some of the first half footy was exhilarating and we should've had 3 or 4 by half time as Villa just couldn't live with us. Some of the movement and interplay was superb, but ultimately undone by piss poor finishing.

At half time some of us expressed concern about fatigue and injuries. I know you compared that to a Pep like performance, but it's more like a Pep team from a few seasons ago - they (or Liverpool now) don't quite press with the same intensity as they used to. I think both managers have become slightly more pragmatic, they're still committed to pressing and high lines but their players pick and choose their moments more. Son was like a lunatic today but looked exhausted with 20 to go. Haaland doesn't press like that. I think it's evolved and I'm worried that our thin squad will struggle to cope, not only in games but also over a whole season. These are lessons City and Liverpool have learned I think. The intensity we played at first half was amazing to watch at the ground but impossible to sustain. And I would just like us to manage the game a little better, sometimes slow things down, take a breather, be a bit more composed (especially around the box) and create pressure around the box before slinging the ball in or taking a pot shot.

Everyone was fully committed, I don't blame Davies or Emerson for not being Romero or VDV or PEH for not being Benta or Bis, we played a team to win, it was exciting but frustrating to lose to a team we're better than.

I don't think Gil is suited to play wide, he's not quick and would've preferred him swapped with Kulu - centrally would suit him better I think, he's a cute and clever player in tight spaces, not a tricky, beat a man, wide player.

Said at the time lo celsius going off would lose us control and it did, the young lad only touched the ball once I think, again not his fault, he's just not ready yet. I guess Richy would've come on if fit.

Still it's early days and we've shown we can play despite all the injuries and suspensions (Romero, VDV, Sess, Bis, Sarr, Mad, Solomon, Richy, Perisic and Benta is a LOT, virtually another complete team). And the footy is entertaining again. I just wish we weren't playing City next...

Yeah, I wasn't getting carried away with the Pep comparison, I just meant more in terms of intentions and application. Not just the pressing but what we were trying to do with the ball too. Obviously with vastly inferior bunch of players.

I think the same with Gil. He was really useful in those tight midfield areas when we were playing out. If he was a bit more robust and better defensively I'd maybe even consider him as an Udogie back up, but maybe he could also play the Maddison remit as well if Lo Celso wan't available.

Unfortunately this would seem to be a bit of a common theme. We had enough good chances to win 3 matches. We always seem to give opposing keepers the chance to make world class saves. We just seem to lack the clinical edge in front of goal.
Martinez had both a good game and a lot of luck today to be fair

Currently 10 injured or suspended - Romero, Van de Venn, Sessegnon, Bentancur, Bissouma, Sarr, Madison, Perisic, Solomon, Richarlison - out of a squad is a big proportion, whatever the club.

And that includes 5 or 6 players who most would put in our 'best' first team.

Sadly that's just bad luck for us right now - our opponents don't have anything like that size of injury list.

So no surprise at today's result.

We'll upgrade more of the squad this January and next summer both by buying players and developing some of our own youngsters which will certainly help - but anyone with that length of unavailable players will struggle to win as many games as we might.

Neither I think had started this season. Both contributed significantly to our press until they both ran out of steam.
Lo Celso scored.
Gill constantly provided a threat down the left and covered well for Udogie when he ended up out of position. Should have scored.
Who do you reckon had better games? Porro , Kulusevski maybe?
Porro certainly. Never been a fan of Kulusevski...too slow...

Back
Top Bottom