Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

don't get this anti Friedel all of a sudden, he has been good in all but his previous game for us this season. I know Hugo organises the defense a lot better then Brad, but lets not forget that we didn't have any problems with Brad as our number 1 last season for a large part of the first half of the season a lot of Spurs fans were divided about who should be our current number 1.

Lloris is a better keeper, that goes without saying, but that does not make Friedel a bad keeper in the slightest
there's a huge difference to brad being a good keeper or not in this situation, and that's the system being used. Brad worked very well last season because we defended incredibly deep when we had to defend, so he could stay on his line without a problem. In a high line system a keeper that's not pro-active will always be a bad fit, and that's what people are worried about I think.

AVB-EXCITEMENT.gif

his face before it goes in.

Lyon are a very good side. AVB wasn't bullshitting this week in comparing this to a CL tie. Its very much on par with something we'd come up against in the better of the two European competitions. If this were a CL group stage game we'd be absolutely delighted. The away goal makes it harder to swallow but we have it in our hands in Lyon.

They lie 2nd in Ligue 1 to a team as rich as Man City. That they're only 6 pts behind is to their credit as they're living in another world. Its akin to us being 6 points behind United (granted the weaker teams are much weaker than those in the Premier League).

So many supporters inside the ground and online took to slating our 11 out of frustration. We weren't playing QPR, and we weren't even playing Newcastle. We were playing a team that has won 7 League titles and 3 Domestic Cups in the last 15 years. We did well. Ade was unlucky not to score a great attempt first time from Mousa's incredible through ball, and Bale missed a sitter.

Well said. Lyon are 16 places above us in the UEFA rankings, they're also above teams like AC Milan and Man City.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2013.html

WE'VE JUST BEATEN ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN EUROPE - PLEASE BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS :)

But if you prefer to moan and be grumpy fair enough. I know lots of moany grumpy Spurs fans, they easily outnumber the happy ones, despite the fact we're unbeaten in the Lge for months, have two world class players to enjoy watching etc, etc.

As the post I've quoted points out LYON HAVE WON THE LEAGUE OVER THREE TIMES AS MANY TIMES IN THE LAST 15 YEARS AS WE'VE MANAGED IN 125 YEARS

WE HAVE JUST BEATEN THEM!!!!!

PSG aside, Ligue 1 isn't that great at all, and Lyon are closer to St Etienne, Marseille, Rennes and Nice than they are to PSG. UEFA rankings are not an indicator of a team's quality - Woolwich and ahead of Inter, Atletico and AC Milan, Liverpool are ahead of Man City, Metalist Kharkiv, Basel and FC Twente are all ahead of Dortmund etc.

• 01 Vercoutre
  • 05 Lovren
  • 06 Fofana Booked
  • 13 Reveillere
  • 15 Bisevac
  • 23 Umtiti Booked
  • 17 Malbranque (Grenier - 82' )
  • 21 Gonalons
  • 09 Lopez (Ghezzal - 88' )
  • 10 Lacazette
  • 18 Gomis
How many of those payers get into our first team? Gomis at a considerable push?

they're still no mugs though, it's a bit of a silly question regarding how many of their players would get in our side because not many of us even know those players to know if they're even any good.

While they may not be among Europe's elite, it's still a stern test and anyone expecting us to smash 3-4 goals past them needs a good slap.

Oh absolutely. I really can't envisage us going very far in the Europa League; could you see us beating somone like Zenit, Anzhi or Atletico over two legs?
It'd be tough, it's hard to judge who we'd beat based on performances. As Windizzle has often said we're greater than the sum of our parts and we adjust to the opposition. If we are to progress in the Europa League it won't be pretty.

In my heart of hearts I can't see us lifting the trophy but stranger things have happened.

Well that depends really doesn't it. We beat Manchester United over two legs this season.
Well said, this constant underrating of our team by so many of our fans baffles me. We're one of the best teams in the country, and as long as the pitch isn't horrendous and the refs fair, we're good enough to beat any team left in the competition.

as other have already stated I reckon we will go full strength as we have this weekend off. Lyon on the other hand have a big game on Sunday away to Boar dough, so they may rest a few key players. Thursday is the perfect opportunity for us to grab the incentive.

I am single so I will be at the game

3228997240_c97de8c2b6.jpg

When I think Lyonnaise, the end of it sounds like mayonnaise. Is that correct?

Does that happen to anyone else? Olympic Mayonnaise?

EDIT: As in "Im sorry my dear, but it appears you have some Olympic Mayonnaise on your chin."

Tbf we probably have the most high profile match of the English teams
Even so, to be on ITV1 is a big compliment to our pulling power.

For sure Liverpool are a bigger name than us around the world, but for us to get one of the two mani channels in primetime for a UEFA Cup game, that's a real coup. Although, it's also a real coup for the pulling power of football these days too - no way would a game like that have made primetime prime channel 20 years ago, even 40 years ago.

I remember when we played AC Milan in the UEFA semi in 72 - the first leg didn't make live coverage at all. I was there not such a problem for me, but not good for the many Spurs and indeed football fans who weren't.

the away leg not only didn't make primetime live - there wasn't even any highlights on the night.

All we got for one of our greatest ever results and nights in Europe was a couple of minutes on Saint and Greavesie, Mullery's magnificent goal and that was it for the action- ridiculous, pathetic and awful.

Am so grateful for the non-stop coverage we get nowadays - some people think it's too much - I don't - i absolutely love it

Back
Top Bottom