So it turns out Poch was right

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn’t

He had never won anything before he rocked up with us and despite inheriting an excellent squad never seriously looked like winning anything with us

Getting to the CL was his shining achievement and he destabilised the team just before it by threatening to leave
We’re well rid

Give José the players and we’ll win something
While reaching the CL final is a great achievement, talking about leaving we if win it is all different kinds of stupid and illogical. That was moronic of Poch.

Yea cos he hacked the clubs bank account didn he. Why dont more managers just hack bank accounts and buy players instead of the owners doing it.
You couldn't make this stuff up, could you.
People are now blaming Pochettino for years of underinvestment that's left our squad in the mess we're seeing today

tenor.gif

It's even more amazing how much people are willing to forget Poch achieved 4 successive Champions League finishes against all the odds only to be shat upon by his chairman.

Mate, no one is disputing that but what players did he change to take us in the direction needed?

I rate Pochettino but he won nothing. You said it yourself lest your memory fades.

The players he bought in unless we think he had no say in their purchase did what? Only Son and in the one season Sanchez have been good.

My point is Pochettino getting us to top 4 but not seeing the additional needs has not helped us.

No one can ever deny his efforts.

I also think it's quite ridiculous to exempt Poch from the mess we are in when it comes to squad building.

We know it's not true that his hands were tied. He is still the guy who thought continuously playing Sissoko was smart. Who thought Lucas was a striker and even signed him. Who has left our squad the way it is now. Handled our best youth prospects horrendously etc.

The problem with Pochettino was that he followed the Bielsa model, but only up to a point.

He came in, started bringing in talented young players, reduced the average age of the squad massively, and got them playing a highly-charged pressing game. This worked brilliantly for about three seasons, then the squad hit a wall last season. We all saw it, but many turned a blind eye as we stumbled into the CL final and top 4 more by accident than design.

Bielsa would regularly refresh his team to keep the squad full of young and energetic players. Pochettino did try to do this (most of our signings and targets were young, up and coming players), but I think he misjudged how long he could continue with the press with an ageing squad, as well as being too attached to players not suited to his system. This season he tried to find a new system to accommodate them, but couldn’t.

As for the players themselves, I think a lot of them feel guilty for getting Pochettino sacked, and are also probably still demoralised by blowing their big chance in the CL final. After the high of making the final I wouldn’t underestimate the low of losing in such an insipid manner.

My point is Pochettino getting us to top 4 but not seeing the additional needs has not helped us.

No one can ever deny his efforts.
He did see the additional needs.
After the final match of the 2018 season he said we needed a new approach.
He said we needed to be brave.
He said we cannot continue to compete for big trophies while spending small money.
Time and time again he was forced to publicly plead for backing and time and time again he got nothing.
And even this Summer, he got one fucking player before we scrambled around for a loan signing and a future prospect on deadline day.
We cannot keep burying our heads in the sand like this.
The problem wasn't Poch, and the problem isnt Mourinho.

He said we cannot continue to compete for big trophies while spending small money.
Time and time again he was forced to publicly plead for backing and time and time again he got nothing.
And even this Summer, he got one fucking player before we scrambled around for a loan signing and a future prospect on deadline day.

Okay and we both screamed for players at the end of 2018. No dusagreement there.

One-off biggest games. Is that money or character?

So failure at the biggest moments had nothing to do with Pochettino but getting to finals, semi-finals and top 4 finishes was all his doing?

Right okay.
You can always blame a manager for individual performances, team selections and tactics etc. Of course you can.
But to start blaming a previous manager for todays results, todays under invested squad mess, and two decades of empty trophy cabinets is just taking piss.

We need to start looking at the bigger picture mate.

It's a team effort.

Poch still signed off on the likes of Nkoudou, Sissoko, Janssen, Lucas etc. When we truly needed to actually push on...

You can always blame a manager for individual performances, team selections and tactics etc. Of course you can.
But to start blaming a previous manager for todays results, todays under invested squad mess, and two decades of empty trophy cabinets is just taking piss.

We need to start looking at the bigger picture mate.

Oh come on.

I am not saying today's bucketful of shit.

Anyway I care. You care. Most on here care.

If I thought crying would start the turn round I would turn on the sprinklers.

Whoever is in charge and whoever the players, money alone is not the answer.

John,

I have more sympathy with your point of view these days, but Poch is categorically not blameless in this.

Firstly, he did sign off on dross and secondly, by all accounts, he turned down players that were offered to him; for example Tielemans (this is paper talk and rumour mill, but the idea that he was frozen out of any player acquisitions is silly).

Also, for example, we know that Levy tried to get him De Jong but the player, although appreciating our setup, decided against us.

If he was sat there with a list of three or four names as the only acceptable signings, then his days were always numbered.

What I do fully agree with though is that if Levy lets this window pass without stregthening and only dabbles in the Summer, we can definitely conclude that he is simply polishing an asset with a view to selling us on.

Poch was part of the problem

He gave up

You can’t do that

Back
Top Bottom