Sigurdsson or Holtby?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who do you think is better?

• Holtby

Votes: 86 89.6%
  • Sigurdsson

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters
Tbf, he was initially played out of position (LW) upon his arrival, and he struggled to get a bit of rhythm. After that, his passing just declined as he lost confidence and the squad had moved on a bit to rely so heavily on Bale. Just really poor timing. Was very excited to see him finally hitting his groove late last fall, and then it was so unfortunate it happened right before AVB got the axe. Sherwood's two man midfield of Holtby and Eriksen against West Brom was just insanely stupid, and the writing was on the wall for his move from that point on.

Funny though that Sherwood lamented later that spring he had no passer from deep, and then in his column on the WC in which he criticized Paulinho. Well guy, you dug your own grave.

Even late last fall I still didn't get the feeling that he was a creative deep player. As Sammy said it was more "run around a bit" and a decent amount of misplaced passing.

Even late last fall I still didn't get the feeling that he was a creative deep player. As Sammy said it was more "run around a bit" and a decent amount of misplaced passing.

In all fairness, he had to run about a bit to get on the end of some of the squad's passes...with Nabil sending him laser guided sideways ballistics he should be given more time and ability to spray his own through balls to the feet of Harry Kane.

Modric type, no. But I do think he can grow into a useful deep midfield role.
The fact that I thought he was brought in as a Modric type doesn't help. I didn't expect him to be spraying 90% accuracy through balls from day one, or have Messi-esque ball retention but he's barely showing any signs of it. He looks more like a box to box midfielder running around the field (which we don't need more of) than a creative deep player.

Siggy for the outstanding goal potential...
Holtby for the sheer exuberance and passion...
Neither for the 'next level' of achieving Champions League 'Holy Grail' football...

He looks more like a box to box midfielder running around the field (which we don't need more of) than a creative deep player.
Box to box, yes. No denying that, but he's always got his head up and has shown much more willingness to attempt through balls and forward passes than any of our other deep midfielders.

Case in point:
iIc9eoRnskwVz.gif

09-02-2014-GifNumber-135.gif

Yeah, he's been very hit or miss, but he's also not had any sustained run in the squad as a starter to really establish himself. I account for his hot and cold nature as mostly being a more ambitious passer than Dembele, for example.

Two gifs can't tell the whole story, but I have to admit that watching those two gifs gets me all hot and bothered.

At least it shows that he's looking for the pass, which I don't think is something that could be said for all of our deep midfielders.

Siggurdsson seems to have a better awareness and moves off the ball well, he's got a thunderous shot on him and is a goal threat - one thing I've always thought thats let him down is the physical side of his game, he's weak in the tackle and has no pace to beat a man.

Holtby is physically more suited to challenging for a ball and will press opponents all day long but does seem to go a bit mad at times, meaning he could be out of position from chasing all over the place, one thing I noticed about him when he joined was his one touch passing which was superb - nobody else in that central role really had the same one touch pass as him I thought, he can also be quite creative.

I like them both but can possibly see more of a long term Spurs future for Holtby.

Either way neither of them are as good as Hazard, Coutinho, Mata, Wilian, Oscar, Cazorla, Ozil Silva etc etc - which kind of points to why we are where we are and where we will continue to be.

Two gifs can't tell the whole story, but I have to admit that watching those two gifs gets me all hot and bothered.

At least it shows that he's looking for the pass, which I don't think is something that could be said for all of our deep midfielders.

That is one of the reasons I'd take him ahead of Dembele and Paulinho.

Tbf to Holtby as well, he was trying through passes to the likes of Lennon who seems to have forgotten how to make runs behind the defence.

Tbf to Holtby as well, he was trying through passes to the likes of Lennon who seems to have forgotten how to make runs behind the defence.

I wonder if AVB told players not to make any runs behind defenders, because that was the laziest "offense" i've ever seen.

Think a better poll would be Siggy vs Chadli
That's a good poll.

Chadli by a hair for me, mostly because Sig has had more time at a fair shake, and because Chadli likes to work back and help his left back. Sig counts as home-grown, so that's a feather in his cap.

Holtby.

Clutch goals notwithstanding, I've always been frustrated by Sig's slowness, poor first touch, and immobility. The goals that he has to his credit have always been despite his poor performances; I don't think I've ever watched Sig play and thought to myself "Sig is absolutely tearing them apart."

Holtby never quits. Even when he's having a poor game his vision is apparent; he's always looking for that perfect through pass.

Siggies first touch imo is excellent. He has great close control and can dig the ball out quick.

My problem with him are all off the ball. No imagination and makes plodding predictable runs and can get marked out of games.

His ability to get himself into the danger zone or keep defenders guessing is his weakness.

If Eriksen is ever out I'd venture to try Holtby and Paulinho ahead of Sandro, for Holtby's forward passes and Paulinho's desire to latch on to such passes as a late-arriver in the box. Both need some form, though.

This is what exasperated me under AVB and Tim. I don't think that a high line is compatible with prototypical English wingers that like to run down the line and swing in crosses. They've got to have an eye for working the channels and either working on the edge of the box or getting in behind the opposing line for a shot on goal, and we were at a real loss for players like that last season. Eriksen did the donkey work, but even then Adebayor isn't the best finisher of the ball, and he wasn't getting much help in the goal-scoring department. Besides the gag reel of Soldado and Paulinho's missed shots, there was a lot of Lennon and Dembele getting in possession and looking like "uhhhhhh, what am I supposed to do now?" or, early in the season, Townsend grabbing the ball and thinking "GOTTA SHOOT THE FUCKER!!! !AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! damn..."

Combine high line and speedy wingers that aren't finishers or naturally creative and it's no fucking wonder that we were knocking on the door last season but couldn't break in. If we're already in possession and the opponent is pinned back or sitting deep in their box then it makes sense that pace often doesn't help much.

Siggies first touch imo is excellent. He has great close control and can dig the ball out quick.

My problem with him are all off the ball. No imagination and makes plodding predictable runs and can get marked out of games.

His ability to get himself into the danger zone or keep defenders guessing is his weakness.
Agreed. If he could regularly make himself available he'd have a lot to offer. Has good technical ability on the ball but it's no use if he can't get into position to receive it.

That's a good poll.

Chadli by a hair for me, mostly because Sig has had more time at a fair shake, and because Chadli likes to work back and help his left back. Sig counts as home-grown, so that's a feather in his cap.
But that makes Chadli neither one thing or the other, as has been shown. Get a LB that can look after himself. No one is saying Walker needs protection - the same should apply to the LB position.

Back
Top Bottom