Sigurdsson or Holtby?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who do you think is better?

• Holtby

Votes: 86 89.6%
  • Sigurdsson

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters
Holtby.

Look at that smile. "Paint me like one of your french girls"
PoserHotby-IMG_8986.jpg

Holtby.

Clutch goals notwithstanding, I've always been frustrated by Sig's slowness, poor first touch, and immobility. The goals that he has to his credit have always been despite his poor performances; I don't think I've ever watched Sig play and thought to myself "Sig is absolutely tearing them apart."

Holtby never quits. Even when he's having a poor game his vision is apparent; he's always looking for that perfect through pass.

He looks more like a box to box midfielder running around the field (which we don't need more of) than a creative deep player.
Box to box, yes. No denying that, but he's always got his head up and has shown much more willingness to attempt through balls and forward passes than any of our other deep midfielders.

Case in point:
iIc9eoRnskwVz.gif

09-02-2014-GifNumber-135.gif

Yeah, he's been very hit or miss, but he's also not had any sustained run in the squad as a starter to really establish himself. I account for his hot and cold nature as mostly being a more ambitious passer than Dembele, for example.

Massive Holtby fan and I'm delighted to see not only the comments from his agent, but the ITK that Poch has spoken with him quite a bit and affirmed he's a part of his plans. This last part does make sense, considering Poch was the one who announced the loan deal to Fulham therefore suggesting he himself likely tried to get him in January. Very excited to see how he implements a player who is perfect for a high intensity press.

Siggy is a quality player, no doubt about it, but he's just not made for one of the top six or seven clubs. His feet are just not quick enough to find space and pick locks in the stacked boxes the top clubs face in this league. He's much better in an open and flowing game like he faced while at Swansea. I think he'd be happier with a move elsewhere, and we could use his valuable worth in cash to improve the squad in other positions. Would be pleased to see an amiable splitting of parties this summer.

Last edited:
Even late last fall I still didn't get the feeling that he was a creative deep player. As Sammy said it was more "run around a bit" and a decent amount of misplaced passing.

In all fairness, he had to run about a bit to get on the end of some of the squad's passes...with Nabil sending him laser guided sideways ballistics he should be given more time and ability to spray his own through balls to the feet of Harry Kane.

Um, how about Neither? I don't think either of this guys is good enough, nor do I think they ever will be good enough, to play for a team with their sites set on a top 4 spot in the PL. Siggy should of been sold a year ago and Holtby needs to be loaned out again this year because he should NOT be getting any real playing time with us. We have numerous better options than both, and if we don't have them all ready, there are numerous cost effective other options out their who could be had.

I don't get why anyone thinks either of them should be taking up a spot on our team when we have players with much higher potential (ie bentaleb, Carrol, Eriksen) on the rise.
Good, i already dont like you. :eriksenlol:

Holtby for me, he has a lot more improvement to come, and is better suited to that role. i'm not too sure that siggurdson will improve.
and ofcourse anyone who was at that Fulham away game will know what it means to holtby, for commitment and enthusiasm we could do with a lot more holtbys, but with a bit more ability. At Kings testimonial it was loud and clear what when the it was sang "we want you to stay lewis holtby we want you to stay" I think he is one of quite a few players in the squad at the moment where its gotta happen this season or he will be gone.

Siggurdsson seems to have a better awareness and moves off the ball well, he's got a thunderous shot on him and is a goal threat - one thing I've always thought thats let him down is the physical side of his game, he's weak in the tackle and has no pace to beat a man.

Holtby is physically more suited to challenging for a ball and will press opponents all day long but does seem to go a bit mad at times, meaning he could be out of position from chasing all over the place, one thing I noticed about him when he joined was his one touch passing which was superb - nobody else in that central role really had the same one touch pass as him I thought, he can also be quite creative.

I like them both but can possibly see more of a long term Spurs future for Holtby.

Either way neither of them are as good as Hazard, Coutinho, Mata, Wilian, Oscar, Cazorla, Ozil Silva etc etc - which kind of points to why we are where we are and where we will continue to be.

Voted Siggy for shits and giggles - in my mind they don't compete for the same spot anyway

However - I'm was shocked to see the results - Holtby has proven very little so far bar 1-2 decent games, a single goal and some bullshit videos for Spurs TV. If people are voting on future potential - fair enough, but the notion of new toys are always better is a strange one for me.

I'm surprised this is so one sided, seems people have voted for the idea of Holtby over Sig, he hasn't exactly shown he's our level yet has he?

Holtby any day although I've been quite disappointed with how it has been going for him at Spurs. Was hoping that the season we signed him he would have provided a bit of the creative spark we badly needed.

Holtby for me. I like Siggy too, but if it was between the two of them and I'd already like to keep the likes of Lamela, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli, Eriksen etc who all play in similar positions, the wide two and the Three behind the striker.

Holtby has vision, tons of fighting spirit and a team player. He has the ability to turn the game while dictating the pass, to do that he may have to play further back on the Field. Look forward to how he will be used by Pochettino.

Back
Top Bottom