Seville - Sat 16 July 12:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess good run out for the players fitness. However would like to see progression with style of play rather than being allowed to be pressed back and playing so deep. Noticed it in the first game and today virtually all our back 5 are on the 6 yard line Lea ing so much space at the edge of the box. No one is then picking up players allowing free shots. Lloris passing out from the back in the first half was heart attack time as they pressed our players. One more thing I was never a fan of richalison and defo not for £60M. He certainly doesn’t look like a £60M player. Yes he may run around but we need someone whose gonna make a difference. Kulu adds so much more quality. I hope we haven’t wasted £60M on him considering Chavs got Stirling for £47M and his goal scoring and assist are far better than ricalison. It’s still early doors so give him time but his got to be able to influence games both in scoring and assisting.
I thought Richarlison did well myself, new team, new players,new tactics ect, always looked like he was in the right places at the right time.

I thought Richarlison did well myself, new team, new players,new tactics ect, always looked like he was in the right places at the right time.
He was plenty decent for someone who joined the club 17 days ago under a new manager in a new work-in-progress system and playing in a pre-season friendy.

Anybody who is laying into him at this stage is off their rocker.

I guess good run out for the players fitness. However would like to see progression with style of play rather than being allowed to be pressed back and playing so deep. Noticed it in the first game and today virtually all our back 5 are on the 6 yard line Lea ing so much space at the edge of the box. No one is then picking up players allowing free shots. Lloris passing out from the back in the first half was heart attack time as they pressed our players. One more thing I was never a fan of richalison and defo not for £60M. He certainly doesn’t look like a £60M player. Yes he may run around but we need someone whose gonna make a difference. Kulu adds so much more quality. I hope we haven’t wasted £60M on him considering Chavs got Stirling for £47M and his goal scoring and assist are far better than ricalison. It’s still early doors so give him time but his got to be able to influence games both in scoring and assisting.
An early candidate for worst post of the season!!

You're consistent I'll give you that

Jeje, you are being a fun guy. Firstable i did that post from my phone, and i don't put much into it in terms of errors when writing on the phone. On top of that last time i check we are not in school anymore, and on top of that i'm not native.

As far as the topic we were on it. Yeah only a blindman with zero football knowledge can't see that we are in a big need of a creative midfielder.
And let me remind you that we lost 3 matches in a row, in 2 of which, we have from very few to none situation to score.
Against Chelsea in all 3 matches, we barely did something in the front.
On top of that against Burnley were we lost 1-0 the same. Zero situation, we couldn't get the ball out of our field for god sake. Same story against Brighton were we lost 1-0, then a draw with Brentford.

Yeah we managed to get into top 4, not without the help of Woolwich who blew a huge lead they had on US, and United was absolutely s*****.

Still it was crystal clear for anyone with any football knowledge that our midfielers were terrible in holding the ball, and terrible to make the connection with the forwards, and terrible with creating opportunity.

And your suggestion with all due respect just show you got zero knowledge.
You are suggesting that we need to sacrifice our Main Striker to go back and do our midfielder work, and losing a key player in the front. Such a great suggestion.
On top of that outside of Kane, Kulu and Son, our other players were totally incompetent to score goals. Our midfielders are dreadful in this. Terrible on long shots as well.
Again, against tight teams with good defense and that knows how to play defensively we absolutely were terrible, and was clear we are lacking creative midfielder. Add to that, that we also lack that magician player that could lure players in 1vs1 situation constantly and open our game, when nothing it's working, and decide the game on his own.
We absolutely need that Hazard type of player. Raphinha would have been great, or similar to his skill player.

So yeah, just because i support this team, doesn't mean i'm going to be biased and with pinky glasses.

And next time try to be less aggressive, because you will get the same treatment in return .....

Would you be happy with Maddison?

Would you be happy with Maddison?
If Conte wants him, then i won't have a problem with it. I'm all for in talented and young players. Don't like big money moves on 28+ players.
The lad is 25 years, well established in PL and score plenty of goals.
I want we to have option over options, and if something doesn't work, Conte to be able to change the pace of the game with its subs or from the get going.
Not having creating midfilder will pretty much stuck us in 3-4-3. With a one we have the option to be optimal in 3-5-2 as well. And we won't be prone if injuries happen, as there always will happen.

My desire personally is someone like Modric, Kroos, Xavi, Xabi, etc, a guy with a high output, to build our game, to open tight teams and help in defense as well.
Also to be good with distance shots.
This is a hard to find player and it cost a lot, but they are extremely important.

Last season the quality of play throughout the league was high and the game was entertaining. So, naturally, the powers that be wanted to "improve" it. Five subs will widen the gap between the haves and the have nots, make for more one-sided games, and ultimately with more teams playing behind will create more sloppy play and injuries.
I don't understand why people think 5 subs will benefit the stronger teams. A mid- to low-table team may not have as many quality players on the bench, but it will also not play as many games over the course of a season. So it will not need as many subs in a game, because its players will be more rested. Granted a team with more quality players on the bench will have an advantage in terms of bringing in quality subs to change a game, but how often do you really need 5 subs to change a game?

I don't understand why people think 5 subs will benefit the stronger teams. A mid- to low-table team may not have as many quality players on the bench, but it will also not play as many games over the course of a season. So it will not need as many subs in a game, because its players will be more rested. Granted a team with more quality players on the bench will have an advantage in terms of bringing in quality subs to change a game, but how often do you really need 5 subs to change a game?
I'm intrigued as to how the 5 sub rule will play out next season.

For a team playing a Bielsa Loco Press, which historically has led to knackered players for the last quarter of the season, being able to rotate in several fresh players able to maintain the high press, whilst preserving the energy of "starters" throughout the season, will surely help.

At Spam, Moyes clearly didn't trust more than about 16-17 of his squad, so once injuries happened & they were playing two games a week late in the season, they literally ran out of gas. So if you don't have enough quality players that the coach is prepared to put on the pitch, then you could have 20 subs and it would make no difference.

Dyche was one of the coaches objecting to 5 subs because he thought it would benefit "big clubs", and Burnley always had a small core squad.

I suspect Conte will look to gain maximum tactical and physical advantage from the 5 sub rule, and that's one of the reasons we are accumulating several quality players across all areas of the squad.

That's a good point actually.

Totally agree with all the sentiments here. How the fuck did we get 4th. Seriously, with all these problems and lack of football nouce, how did we finish above the scum. If only we had Eddy (the goal) Murphy, Ben (the wall) White, Arron the Cat, Saka the shaker, Tornado Tommy, Rob the red Holding. So disappointed that we didn’t sign the lot of em.
fucking ending up with the Walking DJed, the pigeon, an OAP winger, a Barca reject, an escapee from Monsters Inc and a downgrade on the powerhouse midfield of the scum. I think we could be in a relegation battle. And that’s not taking into account lego being the heir to pep. I think the yid army must be going into meltdown. If only we had a window like Woolwich.

Totally agree with all the sentiments here. How the fuck did we get 4th. Seriously, with all these problems and lack of football nouce, how did we finish above the scum. If only we had Eddy (the goal) Murphy, Ben (the wall) White, Arron the Cat, Saka the shaker, Tornado Tommy, Rob the red Holding. So disappointed that we didn’t sign the lot of em.
fucking ending up with the Walking DJed, the pigeon, an OAP winger, a Barca reject, an escapee from Monsters Inc and a downgrade on the powerhouse midfield of the scum. I think we could be in a relegation battle. And that’s not taking into account lego being the heir to pep. I think the yid army must be going into meltdown. If only we had a window like Woolwich.
We are lacking a bit of finesse and guile on the ball, just nowhere near as bad that guy is making out.

Half of la liga has better first touch and short passing ability than us, doesn't mean they'd beat us.

We made so many defensive and midfield errors that it was shocking we came out with a draw.

We really need another CB Kim/Torres etc whoever it is get them asap. we need them to be fit when the season starts

We made so many defensive and midfield errors that it was shocking we came out with a draw.

We really need another CB Kim/Torres etc whoever it is get them asap. we need them to be fit when the season starts

Sometimes coaches will use pre season games to emulate situations to see how the players react.

Its entirely possible that players were instructed to give balls away in dangerous areas and to take unnecessary risks to test players reactions and the formation.

For a lot of the game, it seems that we had been instructed to play the ball out quickly from the back with 1 touch football. This has the effect of testing our ability to get up the field quickly - whilst also maintaining defensive balance.

Back
Top Bottom