Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh dear, not the responses on twitter to this article that I'll bet they'd have wanted...

I don't condone what Aurier said at all, but this self-righteousness is making me fucking queasy.
Almost makes me wonder if they'd have rather he drunk drove and killed a 19 year old woman like Alonso did rather than something 'homophobic'.

I clicked that article, regretted it immediately:

"Without a true making of amends, signing a player with a history of homophobic speech is a betrayal of the club’s ethos."

"before we discuss why Spurs fans should demand contrition with far more substance and sincerity before accepting this transfer, we need to talk about why his words are so harmful in the first place"

He called his coach a fag out of anger one time, publicly apologized, but somehow he's too awful to sign and we need to talk about how his mean words hurt people's feelings? Ridiculous.

I clicked the article, regretted it immediately:

"Without a true making of amends, signing a player with a history of homophobic speech is a betrayal of the club’s ethos."

He called his coach a fag out of anger one time, publicly apologized, but somehow he's too awful to sign? Ridiculous.
Cartilage free captain is too American for words.

"before we discuss why Spurs fans should demand contrition with far more substance and sincerity before accepting this transfer, we need to talk about why his words are so harmful in the first place"

He called his coach a fag out of anger one time, publicly apologized, but somehow he's too awful to sign and we need to talk about how his mean words hurt people's feelings? Ridiculous.
You're bang on. Describing him as having a 'history of homophobic speech', while technically correct in the sense that one instance is still 'a history', it's obviously a manipulative use of language.

I don't particularly want to give them more clicks, but their discussion about Aurier is around the 55 minute mark and can be found at this link:

New Season

I'm sure their involvement of Ledley King in the discussion will help get more people onside from the wider Spurs fanbase.
:avbshit:

Yeah, I don't have much issue with what he said. He made a lame gay joke that was immature, but it doesn't mean he's homophobic and he's also apologized. Plenty of players around the league have done equal or much worse, like that guy who put 2 away on us on sunday.

He'd also be a really good signing, so I'm not against it in both senses.

At the quoted price Aurier seems like a bargain and if hes the reason we haven't signed another RB I can be content with that.

As for that article, I hate how when something is considered racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc etc the context becomes irrelevant.

If you look at the initial reports of Ledley Kings incident, he abused the doorman, "I earn 80k a week, you earn 10 per hour" "you're nothing on your 10 an hour job" then punches him in the face just because the doorman was doing his job and not letting a drunk in. Those are disgraceful actions, but the news story is all about how he said "paki".

If we're getting into the ethics of who we shouldnt have playing for Spurs, I would rather have a decent human who occasionally makes off colour jokes than a complete arrogant twat who goes around and thinks he can abuse people and get away with it, because he is the ambassador for some LGBTQWERTY foundation.

NB. The last paragraph is obviously not a comparison between Aurier and King.

Aurier had what Pink Floyd would deem " A Momentary Lack of Reason"

To be honest, it isn't that Aurier called Blanc a 'faggot' for me, it is that he did it in a public Q & A. Publicly slamming his coach and teammates, while using a word everyone knows will get him in trouble. I would argue considering Blanc isn't gay, and is in fact married, that it isn't a homophobic slur at all, but just a word to insult someone. I know people will fire back with 'it makes it sound like gay is an insult', but it is just a curse word which in this scenario that has no context. Like how when you call someone a c*nt you don't think that person is a female's genitalia, it is just a crude sounding word.

The problem with me lies is that he is enough of an idiot to slam his own manager and teammates on Periscope, as well as the pictures of him in an Woolwich kit trying to get a move there irk me. I know Kane used to where their shirt but he was part of their academy, it's different.

This is a classic leadership 'ends' and 'means' problem. Does the 'end' of winning the league justify the 'means' of employing someone of poor character?

Time and time again people justify their actions in favour of expedience - look at extraordinary rendition, or perhaps water boarding. And on almost every single occasion where short term expedience has triumphed, we have regretted it in the longer term.

I'm not comparing Aurier's words to the global war on terror (lol), but I think in all endeavours you need to decide what your organisation's values are and recruit people whose behaviours match up. Do not recruit people just because they are technically proficient - it will almost always end in tears and with an erosion of your 'brand'.

I'm not in a good position to judge whether Aurier as a person aligns to THFC's values, but he has shown immaturity and a clear lack of judgement in the past. It will be for the management team to decide whether he is a genuine bad apple, or is guilty of a one off act of stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom