Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty much this.

We aren't upgrading on Aurier directly. Not without spending close to £40,000,000+ and considering there are about 4 different positions that need upgrading over his, signing Aarons to compete with him would be the smartest choice.
Aaron’s is going to be a decent RB. Actually is already and will get better. Won’t cost a fortune and is HG

I think he’s the best and most sensible purchase considering

unECqst.png

Serge & Trippier 19/20 season stats per Transfermarkt.

Last edited:
The advent of Tanganga has helped us massively
Yes, it did. Interesting to see who starts the next crucial matches as left back. For the first time we have a "starting eleven" - without the injured players.

Lloris; Aurier, Sanchez, Toby and Tanganga/Davies; Winks, Lo Celso; Son, Dele and Bergwijn; Lucas.

The difference between Walker, Trippier and Aurier when chasing someone who is racing towards goal is Walker because of his speed sometimes caught them but did give away free kicks just outside the box or penalties, Trippier would rarely tackle from behind and therefore relied on the player to miss or Toby to get over to challenge and Aurier sometimes gets in a crucial tackle but gives away far too many free kicks or penalties. Whilst Despite the occasional lapse Walker was best, it is debatable whether it is better to let the player go like Trippier or attempt a very risky tackle like Aurier. No I do not have facts to back this up just my memories from watching the matches.

The difference between Walker, Trippier and Aurier when chasing someone who is racing towards goal is Walker because of his speed sometimes caught them but did give away free kicks just outside the box or penalties, Trippier would rarely tackle from behind and therefore relied on the player to miss or Toby to get over to challenge and Aurier sometimes gets in a crucial tackle but gives away far too many free kicks or penalties. Whilst Despite the occasional lapse Walker was best, it is debatable whether it is better to let the player go like Trippier or attempt a very risky tackle like Aurier. No I do not have facts to back this up just my memories from watching the matches.

My point in mentioning Walker wasn't that Serge is better; just that KW spent most of his time here subject to the very same criticisms.

Trippier had all sorts of blunders in his locker.... It wasn't just a case of letting players go.... Remember this gem?

Walker was such an asset because of his pace and athleticism. A bit careless at the back, but he made up for it with his attacking. He was often responsible for lethal counterattacks. Scored a handful of great long-range goals too. And we should never forget his incredible Halloween pranks. Multi-talented.

Trippier was more solid at the back, but still not great. Lacked the pace to help significantly in counterattacks but was generally a decent crosser. His biggest problem was inconsistency. When he was off his game he was really off.

I actually like Aurier. For me he’s a better defender than either Walker or Trippier. He’s good at winning the ball back, and is much better technically. At times he reminds me of a right-sided BAE. In attack he gets forward better than Trippier, and whilst his crossing is more inconsistent than either Walker or Trippier, it feels like he puts more crosses in, with at least a couple a game that create decent chances.

The obvious flaw in his game is his ability to silence that little voice in his head that says ‘don’t randomly fly in to someone from behind’. He plays with passion, and unfortunately that leads to red cards and penalties. If his decision making was better he’d be a great full-back.

He gets a lot of criticism because of the red mist moments (including from me), but he’s also put in some brilliant performances. And he has that beard.

I think the biggest thing holding Aurier back from being one of the top right backs in the league is his lack of pace. One on one defensively he’s actually exellent. He’s also very good at interceptions and in the air. It’s just if someone gets a run on him he’s dust, and he is also incapable of beating a man because he’s just not light enough on his feet. It’s almost as if he should be really fast , but his legs are just too big to carry. It’s a weird one.

Walker was such an asset because of his pace and athleticism. A bit careless at the back, but he made up for it with his attacking. He was often responsible for lethal counterattacks. Scored a handful of great long-range goals too. And we should never forget his incredible Halloween pranks. Multi-talented.

Trippier was more solid at the back, but still not great. Lacked the pace to help significantly in counterattacks but was generally a decent crosser. His biggest problem was inconsistency. When he was off his game he was really off.

I actually like Aurier. For me he’s a better defender than either Walker or Trippier. He’s good at winning the ball back, and is much better technically. At times he reminds me of a right-sided BAE. In attack he gets forward better than Trippier, and whilst his crossing is more inconsistent than either Walker or Trippier, it feels like he puts more crosses in, with at least a couple a game that create decent chances.

The obvious flaw in his game is his ability to silence that little voice in his head that says ‘don’t randomly fly in to someone from behind’. He plays with passion, and unfortunately that leads to red cards and penalties. If his decision making was better he’d be a great full-back.

He gets a lot of criticism because of the red mist moments (including from me), but he’s also put in some brilliant performances. And he has that beard.

His all round game is excellent at the moment.

As much as I want to fully get behind him, this ‘red mist’ issue as you call it is a problem that’s just too significant to look over. And that’s a terrible shame to be honest.

I’m somewhat on the fence about Aurier, although he’s improving a lot. I personally want him to stay and bring in Aarons to compete with him. The main thing I’ve noticed is that he looks to have shaken off his turn as the scapegoat, even people criticising his rash actions are complimenting his game.

I think the biggest thing holding Aurier back from being one of the top right backs in the league is his lack of pace. One on one defensively he’s actually exellent. He’s also very good at interceptions and in the air. It’s just if someone gets a run on him he’s dust, and he is also incapable of beating a man because he’s just not light enough on his feet. It’s almost as if he should be really fast , but his legs are just too big to carry. It’s a weird one.

Have you seen his legs? Blimey.

serge_aurier_of_tottenham_hotspur_during_the_tottenham_hotspur_t_1315204.jpg

Back
Top Bottom