Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have we ever given him a chance? Last time I remember seeing him play the full 90 was vs Dortmund at Wembley where he produced that peach of a cross for Vertonghen. I cannot believe that KWP or Foyth are better in that position. It will leave us even shorter this season, shocking business all round. If we knew we wanted to sell him, why didn't we buy a right back in the window?!

Before he came I ,like I guess a number of others, saw a number of YouTube clips seeing s full back with pace to burn both going forward and getting back to cover leaving other players for dead, as well as having various skills. A good replacement for Walker I thought.

Reality has proved that he is pretty average speed - and in his first season gave away 3 penalties with reckless sliding tackles in the box, not to mention the comical foul throw ins during one match. And technically not that great either.

Wasn't cheap at the time - but I'd sure like to wring the neck of the scout who recommended him as the scout must have only been going on.the same YouTube clips I saw and never seen a full game where Aurier played either on TV or live.

Certainly need an upgrade so if Milan give us our money back I'd gladly accept - really not sure that Sissoko and Dier will be worse, in fact maybe better than Aurier at RB as a short term measure until KWP and Foyth are back. And reconsider our options in January and/or the summer depending on availability of players.

That's all fair; just way too much hindsight get's banded about re Serge (and others).

Dumb comment; you'd have been better off staying out of it....
"dumb" yet entirely, objectively true.

He's a cunt of the highest order and I said so when we signed him, but the usual suspects disagreed me into oblivion and said it was "unsubstantiated"

Assaulted his woman, police officers, insulted various groups... history of total unprofessionalism, yet here we are.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s causing problems in the dressing room because he’s not being played. He doesn’t seem to be the shy retiring type. We certainly seem to be pushing him towards the exit door. Leaving him out of squads.
Would we miss him......I don’t think so.

Pretty poor of him if the translation is true. Got to drastically change his mindset and output or he'll get packed in soon enough.

Pretty poor of him if the translation is true. Got to drastically change his mindset and output or he'll get packed in soon enough.

''I’d simply decided to leave [this summer], which was normal for me. Many things were taken into consideration. In the end, I wasn’t able to leave. It proves the club trust me on a lot of points, and we’ll see.''

Think the article is pretty much what most of us expected - he hasn't pulled up any trees at Spurs, and consequently its pretty likely (according to him) that he'll leave, just a question of timing and Spurs keeping him until a replacement is found, whether that be inside the club (most likely Walker-Peters and/or Foyth) or bought in.

''I’d simply decided to leave [this summer], which was normal for me. Many things were taken into consideration. In the end, I wasn’t able to leave. It proves the club trust me on a lot of points, and we’ll see.''

Think the article is pretty much what most of us expected - he hasn't pulled up any trees at Spurs, and consequently its pretty likely (according to him) that he'll leave, just a question of timing and Spurs keeping him until a replacement is found, whether that be inside the club (most likely Walker-Peters and/or Foyth) or bought in.
I can also understand him feeling that there isn't any "competition". With Trippier gone he is the senior right back by far. It is totally logical that in his head he should be ahead of KWP and Foyth in selection. But obviously he and Poch do not seem to pull in the same direction. And it's not like either Kyle or Juan has performed on a level where they are undroppable as compared to Serge.

He'll either leave in January or next summer. Depends on if we can get a replacement in I guess. But Poch seems set on making Foyth our starting RB so he might feel that Juan and Kyle is enough. Which I do not necessarily agree with.

I can also understand him feeling that there isn't any "competition". With Trippier gone he is the senior right back by far. It is totally logical that in his head he should be ahead of KWP and Foyth in selection. But obviously he and Poch do not seem to pull in the same direction. And it's not like either Kyle or Juan has performed on a level where they are undroppable as compared to Serge.

He'll either leave in January or next summer. Depends on if we can get a replacement in I guess. But Poch seems set on making Foyth our starting RB so he might feel that Juan and Kyle is enough. Which I do not necessarily agree with.

Think Poch has decided to see if Foyth (now Argentina RB) and KWP (ex E u21) can handle the RB position either until January or until Summer - agreed Aurier should be the senior RB on paper but think he just hasn't shown enough to Poch to justify the senior RB position in practice.

Obviously everyone can point to a few good things Aurier has done in some matches, but I'd guess he's not been consistent enough in doing things.

There don't seem to be too many good RB's around, which I guess is why one wasn't bought in summer.

Why the fuck did we buy this guy? If he's got the wrong attitude it wasn't a secret - did Poch think he could get a tune out him and has then realised he can't or won't. Why is he still here in that case?
Or is this another case of Poch marginalising a decent player, not giving them a chance, and running their value, condition and motivation down until they leave for a bag of peanuts

Why the fuck did we buy this guy? If he's got the wrong attitude it wasn't a secret - did Poch think he could get a tune out him and has then realised he can't or won't. Why is he still here in that case?
Or is this another case of Poch marginalising a decent player, not giving them a chance, and running their value, condition and motivation down until they leave for a bag of peanuts
Poch thinking he could straighten him out/control him probably was a factor. But we all know that Aurier is free spoken and has his issues. and if Poch didn't feel like he could handle it he probably marginalized Serge a bit. And here we are today. We've seen this at PSG as well. Serge doesn't handle being shunted and not part of the bosses plans well. When he was at least rotated with Trippier it was no problem. But I legit think that he doesn't know how to handle being a straight up bench warmer well.

A problem caused by both parties. Aurier has his demons and vices that he has to control and convince Poch to play him. And Poch could honestly be better with how he manages his squad players.

He’s an average full back with a very pompous attitude. Now that the window is closed he will probably get some opportunities but he won’t be handed them on a plate. To play anything other than Carabao cup matches he will need to take his work seriously and show that he is better than his rivals in training.

If his attitude is really “I don’t have any competition” then he is an idiot who will rarely leave the bench.

Football is a team sport. With statements like, "There is no competition", it shows a complete lack of perspective. Why would you undermine your peers who are pulling in the same direction - to make the team successful? I'd be pissed if I was KWP or Foyth or even Poch.

If Eriksen had said something like that we would be ripping him to pieces.

Well if he wasn't an idiot he could have easily got his head down and cemented the right back spot now the window is closed, but this comment and way of thinking will go down like absolute shite with Poch. Fuck sake we could use him as well.

Back
Top Bottom