Seeing the CL final made me realise how...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we should look at reclaiming our top 4 spot first before aiming so high.

Just because Alex Ferguson has left Man United it doesnt mean they are going to suddenly turn crap.
Pellegrini came out with a great quote during the week which I hugely agree with.

"During the week, the manager is 95% important. During the match the players are 95% important."

The quality is still there for all teams above us.

AVB will do the bizzo this year though and we will be back..

zcNH0Mq.png

Full credit to Spurs Attack Spurs Attack for the best AVB smiley so far..

Fuck off with this gooner shite :defoe: EL is a shit competetion and i'd have prefered we wern't in it as it's an energy sapping tour of eastern europe and I can see us getting crucial injuries again next season while working our way through it only to catch a Milan in the semi's.

With that being said i've always enjoyed the CL (as im sure most of you do) and i'm not going to sit here and act all :vert: when the realisaton (for the 2nd time this week) hits home that we will once again not be in it.

And for those who are saying we'd get nowhere in the CL you forget regardless of where we got we'd have got to enjoy BIG european nights at the Lane and away from home the type of games you'd remember seasons by.

WinterWarrior WinterWarrior how long have you been a Spurs fan?
Genuine question. If it is longer than 6 years i'll be amazed.

Im only 21 but I remember the days when we were absolutely buzzing just to be in the UEFA cup. 1999, I was only about 8 years old but I couldnt wait to see us abroad travelling round Europe.

ha ha ha our fans overrate us so much, expectations are wayyy too high. Also, if we're as close to having the perfect team to win the league as you say we are, how comes we were miles away from United this season? "Transitional periods" won't affect United, City, or Chelsea as they have a lot of top players to cope with it. Woolwich are shit yet they still finish above us all the time. I don't see how you can think we'll win the league next year if we're still finishing 5th.

Its all about mentality, approach and experience for us. We have the talent to do alot better, which is why I dont think this season was great.

When Walcott comes out and says that they should be going for the title next season, you see the difference between us and them

And its not the quality of squad, its the mentality, and belief thats keeps getting them through every season.

Its all about mentality, approach and experience for us. We have the talent to do alot better, which is why I dont think this season was great.

When Walcott comes out and says that they should be going for the title next season, you see the difference between us and them

And its not the quality of squad, its the mentality, and belief thats keeps getting them through every season.

If Lennon came out and said we were going for the title this year he would be derided and we would all ask why our players couldn't just keep their mouths shut.

Yeah, that they are all delusional fuckers.

If Lennon came out and said we were going for the title this year he would be derided and we would all ask why our players couldn't just keep their mouths shut.

Thats my point though. Nobody ridicules Walcott because deep down, none of us would be surprised if they did actually mount a title push.

Despite finishing above on GD and then 1pt, the gulf between the two clubs expectations is still massive, and thats down to belief, mentality and experience, because IMO they dont have a more talented squad.

I think its an easy kop out for us to keep justifying our failures on arsenals wage bill, and saying our squad is not good enough.

It IS good enough for top 4.

Yeah, that they are all delusional fuckers.

I agree they are, but people keep talking about that "Aim high......." quote from Bill Nic, then they talk about this season as if it was great and we did as best we could.

IMO, we didnt aim high enough.

Why shouldnt we go all out for a trophy, and top 4?

Of course it is, but then so are United, Chelsea, City and the Goons. It's not as if we are light years behind any of them. The only ones that we didn't beat this year was Chelsea, and that was fucking close too. We are a match for any of these teams on our day. We just need to be consistent over the course of a season.

but then so are United, Chelsea, City and the Goons.

And experience and belief got those clubs through this season because for the most part, they were all poor to average.

None of them played brilliant football, the standard was low, and I honestly reckon its open season next year.

Id love AVB to talk about a title push.

And experience and belief got those clubs through this season because for the most part, they were all poor to average.

Well I think that is a given considering the success those teams have had in recent times.

None of them played brilliant football, the standard was low, and I honestly reckon its open season next year.

Well lets see what kind of squad he has to work with come opening day, and then see about pushing for the title. If we have still go Bale, and all this talk of pushing on with the squad comes to fruition then we definitely could go for it.

As for the UEFA cup. I love it, yes it's not the Champions League and we don't get to play Barca or Real or whoever in the group stage. But it's got a charm all of it's own. I will never forget how we reamed Inter Milan a new hole at the lane, or Dembele's last minute winner. Or that Bale free kick against Lyon. It was a really memorable cup run, and personally I think we were unlucky to go out to Basel.

If we get an easy group this time round I would like to see us blood some youngsters in it, the likes of Pritchard, Carroll, Ceballos, Caulker and McAvoy. Let them cut their teeth. I want us to take it seriously, and these youngsters will need to have that instilled in them. Let the likes of Bale, Vertonghen, and Lennon focus on being consistent in the league. Then when the big teams drop into the competition from the CL we can really go for it.

Thats my point though. Nobody ridicules Walcott because deep down, none of us would be surprised if they did actually mount a title push.

Despite finishing above on GD and then 1pt, the gulf between the two clubs expectations is still massive, and thats down to belief, mentality and experience, because IMO they dont have a more talented squad.

I think its an easy kop out for us to keep justifying our failures on arsenals wage bill, and saying our squad is not good enough.

I would be absolutely shocked if Woolwich mounted a proper title bid.

Well he did...sort of...

I think Chelsea will be the team to beat next year, bearing in mind the manager we expect to come in and the strengthening of a very good squad. The reference will come from Chelsea. Next year could be a good year to throw yourself into the race for the title, bearing in mind the changes at the top.'

WinterWarrior WinterWarrior how long have you been a Spurs fan?
Genuine question. If it is longer than 6 years i'll be amazed.

Im only 21 but I remember the days when we were absolutely buzzing just to be in the UEFA cup. 1999, I was only about 8 years old but I couldnt wait to see us abroad travelling round Europe.

Mate when I started supporting Spurs the frontline consisted of Sherringham and Iverson with the likes of Rory Allen as back up :harryfacepalm:

Mate when I started supporting Spurs the frontline consisted of Sherringham and Iverson with the likes of Rory Allen as back up :harryfacepalm:

So pretty much around the same time I started supporting Spurs then?

If you remember them days, then you should appreciate how far we have come as a team. Yes, we can look upwards to an extent. You should always have ambition. But realistic ambition.
We should also look downwards. At teams who were once on a level playing field (And similar size fanbase / resources) with us and are now in a much worse position.

Aston Villa, Leeds, Nottingham forest. Around the times that you have said, they were quite possibly better than us. But their stewardship was questionable and look where it took them!

Back
Top Bottom