SAUDI ARABIA FC Vs North London Karting 23-04-23

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had over 7 days to prepare for this gane since bmouth debacle. Looks like it wasn’t even one day.
I don’t get stellini at all with his tactics and firnatiin plus his unwilling ness to use the bench. Again tiday danj only comes in at 72 and rich not at all. Jasphet is prbly a better lb than perri but no perri has to start. In CM again he plays PEH and Sarr is the sacrifice for Sanchez. Why not play 4231?
Yup - playing Porro and Perisic in back 4 = absolute suicide.

What is this insistence with not giving Newcastle or Howe any sort of respect?

They are really aggressive, first to every ball, technically gifted and scoring for fun. Howe has compounded this by organising their defence.

Fair fucks to Howe but I can't say many (if any) of their players would be on my shopping list for the summer........

What is this insistence with not giving Newcastle or Howe any sort of respect?

They are really aggressive, first to every ball, technically gifted and scoring for fun. Howe has compounded this by organising their defence.
Because they are boring, average and shit. Poor man’s Leicester supported as the nations second favourite team. Today was Saturday league vs Sunday League with Hugo after a couple of bottles of Sauvignon under his belt but apparently the formation change was a minor variation…

Well that's not going to happen after the amount of new players who have recently been signed. Especially at the back, look how much we have spent on Porro, Romero, Udogie, what do we do with them? I don't think they can play in a back 4.

In a way this squad is most suited to a 5 at the back. That means the next manager will be one who prefers 4 at the back. That's the way Levy rolls, no fucking planning, no fucking continuity, no fucking clue
The squad is set up to play 5 at the back with very attacking wing-backs, and with better coaching, better effort / concentration by the players etc there is no reason we can't do that successfully. For those who said 'why noy play 442, how can our defense by any worse than it's been recently?', today provided the obvious answer. For those now saying 'we still need to play 442 but it will take time to get it right' - open your eyes, it would mean replacing pretty much all of our defenders, which whilst it might seem appealing tonight, is simply not practical. If we play 532 but with a more attacking manager than Conte (or his pet), we could be so much better than we've been this season.

The squad is set up to play 5 at the back with very attacking wing-backs, and with better coaching, better effort / concentration by the players etc there is no reason we can't do that successfully. For those who said 'why noy play 442, how can our defense by any worse than it's been recently?', today provided the obvious answer. For those now saying 'we still need to play 442 but it will take time to get it right' - open your eyes, it would mean replacing pretty much all of our defenders, which whilst it might seem appealing tonight, is simply not practical. If we play 532 but with a more attacking manager than Conte (or his pet), we could be so much better than we've been this season.
With the 5 at the back we are still one of the worst defences in the country. And we still need replacing 3 of the 5 defenders . Unless of course you believe in the likes of Perisic, Dier, Davies etc.

With the 5 at the back we are still one of the worst defences in the country. And we still need replacing 3 of the 5 defenders . Unless of course you believe in the likes of Perisic, Dier, Davies etc.
Not sure what your disagree is for - I don't disagree with you on either of those points. :/ But if we go to a back 4 then we need to replace most of the defenders in our squad. Perisic, Perro, Spence, Udogie, are all better as wing-backs, Dier is even worse in a 4 than a 5, same for Sanchez, and on today's evidence we might even have to say the same about Romero (his tendency to wander forwards also supports that).

I'm not saying we have a great defence for a 5 - far from it - I'm just saying that it's even worse if we play a back 4.

Because they are boring, average and shit. Poor man’s Leicester supported as the nations second favourite team. Today was Saturday league vs Sunday League with Hugo after a couple of bottles of Sauvignon under his belt but apparently the formation change was a minor variation…
Boring?

Battered us, UTD. Only lost 4 games all season. A functional defence alongside a really good midfield. Seem to be really enjoying their football.

They remind me of us under Redknapp.

Not sure what your disagree is for - I don't disagree with you on either of those points. :/ But if we go to a back 4 then we need to replace most of the defenders in our squad. Perisic, Perro, Spence, Udogie, are all better as wing-backs, Dier is even worse in a 4 than a 5, same for Sanchez, and on today's evidence we might even have to say the same about Romero (his tendency to wander forwards also supports that).

I'm not saying we have a great defence for a 5 - far from it - I'm just saying that it's even worse if we play a back 4.
Should have left it there.

Better players can play in any system. This notion our squad can only play with 5 at the back is part of our problem, fans are buying into it as though it's inevitable. It isn't we just have a bunch of shit donkeys who can't handle being in a back 4 so we pander to them by playing a back 5.

It's not a worse defence because it's a back 4, it's a worse defence because these are fucking shit players who are awfully coached. That's a recipe for disaster in a back 4 or a 5 or a 6 or whatever system you play.

"Cristian Stellini has confirmed that Hugo Lloris was withdrawn at half-time at St James’ Park with a ‘muscle problem’."

That's strange. I'd assumed it was a spinal issue.

Should have left it there.

Better players can play in any system. This notion our squad can only play with 5 at the back is part of our problem, fans are buying into it as though it's inevitable. It isn't we just have a bunch of shit donkeys who can't handle being in a back 4 so we pander to them by playing a back 5.

It's not a worse defence because it's a back 4, it's a worse defence because these are fucking shit players who are awfully coached. That's a recipe for disaster in a back 4 or a 5 or a 6 or whatever system you play.
"Better players can play in any system. " - yes but we don't have "better players", we have the players that we have! And rather than pretend they can be excellent at whatever we want them to, we would be wise to make the best we can of them in a system that suits them best.

If you have choice between 'bad' and 'even worse', you should choose 'bad' surely. Of course in the longer term we all want better than that, and of course it's a disgrace that we haven't bought a top quality CD in the last 12 months, but for now we have what we have and forcing them to play in a system that makes them even worse than a back 5 isn't going to help anyone. Mind-boggling that anyone is questioning this! :/

"Better players can play in any system. " - yes but we don't have "better players", we have the players that we have! And rather than pretend they can be excellent at whatever we want them to, we would be wise to make the best we can of them in a system that suits them best.

If you have choice between 'bad' and 'even worse', you should choose 'bad' surely. Of course in the longer term we all want better than that, and of course it's a disgrace that we haven't bought a top quality CD in the last 12 months, but for now we have what we have and forcing them to play in a system that makes them even worse than a back 5 isn't going to help anyone. Mind-boggling that anyone is questioning this! :/
What's mind boggling is people continually excusing 5 at the back because we have fucking shit players. Every top club manages fine with 4 at the back, yet our fans now think we can only play with 5.

We need to focus on getting better players and better coaching and management not trying to fit shit players into a shit system.

It's not a choice between bad and worse except when you have shit footballers and crap coaching. That much should be obvious.

Back
Top Bottom