Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But should we be the club the give him that run? Look at the reaction to the 3 straight losses. The pressure seems too much for the club and for him to bear.

Also, he's had a run of games at Fulham, and I've already talked about his time there. He's had pretty much a full season at Hoffenheim too.

Instead of competition for reguilon at LWB, we're spending our days worrying about when reguilon get injured.

Aren't we constantly berating Levy for lack of ambition?

Not sure you could be more wide of the mark if you tired.

Didn’t we win yesterday?
He was a success at Fulham playing regularly.
I’m not worried. At just 21 he’s arguably the better option than Reggie long term. But we have 2 good player who should push each other. If you want to get your knickers in a twist RWB or lack of strikers is more deserving.

Not sure you could be more wide of the mark if you tired.

Didn’t we win yesterday?
He was a success at Fulham playing regularly.
I’m not worried. At just 21 he’s arguably the better option than Reggie long term. But we have 2 good player who should push each other. If you want to get your knickers in a twist RWB or lack of strikers is more deserving.

Not in the Premier League he wasn't. Which is the level we're expecting him to play well at.

Not in the Premier League he wasn't. Which is the level we're expecting him to play well at.
He got a transfer to the best football club in the world following that season. Few teenagers have £25m price tags. Your definition of success seems pretty high.

Sessengon once in the right headspace and confident will score goals and assist more regularly than Reggie. 22 goals from 100 starts was it at Fulham? He’s arguably got more potential defensively than Reggie with a bit more strength and pace. Granted Reggie is the better player at the moment. But Sessengon is not all that far off.

Last edited:
I think Sess can be a long term solution to the LWB role... He's ready made fir it, being a winger, but also having some defensive qualities... That clearly needs to be worked on and improved...
He's almost kinda like Bale in reverse. We bought HIM as a left back originally... remember?

Talking of which, is THAT the reason Bale might be coming back...? To take Sess under his wing (no pun intended!) and nurture his clear potential.

Of course but he's been at several clubs already, played multiple complete seasons. Not like he's just starting out.

He needs find his mojo somewhere else. We need real contribution on the pitch.
I would back Conte and his decison making regarding developing Sess, if anyone can do it Conte will!

You seem pretty certain about that. Why? Reguilon’s goals and assist stats are not much of a bar to beat. Care to share them?

Edit: here you go, 46 PL games Reggie has 6 assists and 1 goal. Ben Davies has better stats.
Well his passing isn't good enough, his delivery isn't great, he's not that quick and I have massive doubts about his mentality...there's also the fact he has pretty much done fuck all squared since one Championship season with assists and goals, when he wasn't even playing all that well overall.

This season he has been amongst the worst (if not the worst) performers in every match he has played IMO.

He got a transfer to the best football club in the world following that season. Few teenagers have £25m price tags. Your definition of success seems pretty high.

Sessengon once in the right headspace and confident will score goals and assist more regularly than Reggie. 22 goals from 100 starts was it at Fulham? He’s arguably got more potential defensively than Reggie with a bit more strength and pace. Granted Reggie is the better player at the moment. But Sessengon is not all that far off.

Not really .. did you watch him when he played for Fulham in the Premier League? He was bad. Like got benched bad. We paid that fee due to his performances in the championship, had he boasted a good year in the top flight the fee would've been closer to 40.

22 goals in 100 starts, almost all of which were in a 2nd tier division, so not comparable to what Reguilon has done in La Liga or the Premier League. He's definitely not stronger or faster than Reguilon either. And he's pretty far off. I don't even rate Reguilon highly but he backs himself, he's quick, tenacious and has moments of quality, the gap is significant between the two.

At this juncture I think much depends on Conte and obviously Sessegnon himself..

He does not have to be aggressive but he must not be fearful.

He does not have to does not need to be arrogant but he must be assured and confident.

The more he is in the team or at the very least the squad, the more he will feel he belongs, and thst will include making mistakes.

It was absolutely essential for him to play in Saturday, put in a decent performance and to be part of a winning team.

We will see.

Not really .. did you watch him when he played for Fulham in the Premier League? He was bad. Like got benched bad. We paid that fee due to his performances in the championship, had he boasted a good year in the top flight the fee would've been closer to 40.

22 goals in 100 starts, almost all of which were in a 2nd tier division, so not comparable to what Reguilon has done in La Liga or the Premier League. He's definitely not stronger or faster than Reguilon either. And he's pretty far off. I don't even rate Reguilon highly but he backs himself, he's quick, tenacious and has moments of quality, the gap is significant between the two.

Fulham were bad. In the Championship they were swashbuckling attackers. In the premier league they got stuffed every week.
People keep saying Mitravic is not a good PL striker, but he hasn't played for a team outside the bottom 6 in the PL. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a team that isn't getting battered everywhere they go, he was a lot better in the PL.

Fulham were bad. In the Championship they were swashbuckling attackers. In the premier league they got stuffed every week.
People keep saying Mitravic is not a good PL striker, but he hasn't played for a team outside the bottom 6 in the PL. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a team that isn't getting battered everywhere they go, he was a lot better in the PL.

Sessegnon just looked out of his depth for Fulham at PL level though. His whole thing for them in the championship was making clever runs in a dominant side, up against PL level opposition he didn't look athletic enough, and didn't have the technical ability to make up for it. He looked lost most games, not terrible but just uninvolved.

Oh and I do agree Mitrovic is a competent PL striker. Just not the machine he is at championship level where that combination of physicality and ability is much rarer.

I would back Conte and his decison making regarding developing Sess, if anyone can do it Conte will!
Conte has played Winks in A LOT of games. Let's not assume he's playing Sess out of choice rather than necessity.

Lets see if chooses to persist with him after the summer window.

There are aspect to the game that are independent of the team.

Things like a good touch, winning individual battles, scoring bangers, dribbling, passing etc.

Anguissa was in the same Fulham team, and was like their own Bissouma, he got himself a move to Napoli where he's doing fairly well.

Conte has played Winks in A LOT of games. Let's not assume he's playing Sess out of choice rather than necessity.

Lets see if chooses to persist with him after the summer window.

Yeah.. we have two left backs and Reguilon is prone to picking up knocks/needs to be rested regularly as it’s a demanding role. Plus his own form is dodgy.

Not a surprise the only other one is getting games, especially when his skill set on paper fits the WB role.

I mean Christ .. Doherty is getting minutes this season.

There are aspect to the game that are independent of the team.

Things like a good touch, winning individual battles, scoring bangers, dribbling, passing etc.

Anguissa was in the same Fulham team, and was like their own Bissouma, he got himself a move to Napoli where he's doing fairly well.

I don't dispute that. I do think that lack of confidence can affect it, but he seems to keep trying even if it's not working.
Sometimes I wish he wouldn't, and I was glad he went off against Wolves as that could have been a massacre.

About Reguilon being faster than Sessegnon and his season at Fullham... The 10 fastest players in the Premier League so far this season including Ryan Sessegnon and Romelu Lukaku But apprently he didn't look "athletic enough" ?

Maybe he's lost some pace due to injuries, or simply not played, but he can be pretty rapid. Was one of the fastest players in the Prem when at Fulham.

Reggie's stats even in Spain are not full of goals or assists. Where do you get this "not comparable" nonsense from? Reggie didn't hit the back of the net or assist much in Spain, the Championship is not an easy league, and La Liga is a lot more open with a lot more time than the Prem too. Sessengon can finish, can be effective in the final third. That is the take away. That is what people who know about football saw. He needs confidence. He needs games. At 21 years old, after a lot of injuries, what a surprise! As though anyone would write you off...least of all your own 'supporters'

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom