Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think defensively, both him and Emerson did ok, they didn't really have to push up much and it sort of suited them, a simplified game, even if it was a difficult task.

There was a moment in the first half that summed it up for me though. Kane sends Emerson away down the right. Emerson overshit his cross and it goes to Sessegnon, who shins it out of play. That's where our wing-back problem is, they all lack quality in attack.

To be fair to Emerson, Sess was the free man and I think his cross was intended for him.

This is the issue really, he either sorts his confidence issues out very soon or he will have to be put down as another 'not quite up to it' young player. I'd love him to come good, but he keeps putting out the same performances time and time again which are just not at the level we need.
Is it a lack of confidence in his ability or his body? I think it’s the latter and that can be changed

Progression isn’t linear. Just because some players look ready at 21 doesn’t mean all should. Look at what the Juve fans think about Kulusevski v what Parma fans about his 19 year old version, and what he actually produced yesterday in a context where he was trusted in a system which got the best out of him and his teammates.

Or just look at the first 2.5 years Bale was at the club v the next 3.5.

Progression isn’t linear. Just because some players look ready at 21 doesn’t mean all should. Look at what the Juve fans think about Kulusevski v what Parma fans about his 19 year old version, and what he actually produced yesterday in a context where he was trusted in a system which got the best out of him and his teammates.

Or just look at the first 2.5 years Bale was at the club v the next 3.5.
Of course but he's been at several clubs already, played multiple complete seasons. Not like he's just starting out.

He needs find his mojo somewhere else. We need real contribution on the pitch.

He just needs a run of 5-10 games. People want him to play fluidly when he’s hardly started a game. Was crowded out by 2-3 players when trying to break but he kept trying and was able to support attacks second half. He also dealt with everything defensively. Personally very happy with that from a young player who’s only started a handful of games this season.

With a run of games he’ll get more chances and fluidity.

He just needs a run of 5-10 games. People want him to play fluidly when he’s hardly started a game. Was crowded out by 2-3 players when trying to break but he kept trying and was able to support attacks second half. He also dealt with everything defensively. Personally very happy with that from a young player who’s only started a handful of games this season.

He’s quite a well balanced player, I wouldn’t mind seeing him right and Reg left

Like Foyth should have had!

But should we be the club the give him that run? Look at the reaction to the 3 straight losses. The pressure seems too much for the club and for him to bear.

Also, he's had a run of games at Fulham, and I've already talked about his time there. He's had pretty much a full season at Hoffenheim too.

Instead of competition for reguilon at LWB, we're spending our days worrying about when reguilon get injured.

Aren't we constantly berating Levy for lack of ambition?

But should we be the club the give him that run? Look at the reaction to the 3 straight losses. The pressure seems too much for the club and for him to bear.

Care to explain what you mean? I'm left scratching my chin over this tbh........

Done more for this club than Sessegnon.

Hardly....... Red cards and penalties aside; what did Foyth do?

1 half decent emergency stint at RB against City (we still lost 1-0 at home) and 2 decent cup ties in the early statges of the ECL.......?

His injury record was detrimental to his progression here too.

Care to explain what you mean? I'm left scratching my chin over this tbh........
Well, while he tries to find his feet with a run of games, we're gonna have to put up with some substandard performances, and at this club, a blip turns into a crisis in the blink of an eye, I don't see how we're in a position to accomodate him. Even if he was to get a run of games to build himself up, he still needs to meet a minimum contribution threshold, which he's not doing.

Look at Tanganga as another example, he started well but hasn't been great this season, do we insist on him getting a run of games too?

Foyth was a cheap punt, a bit part player, but he's actually contributed a little. He played 90 mins in our 3-0 win against Dortmund in the 2019 season, and started in a handful of other good wins, before we sold him for a small profit. Foyth was 22 when we sent him on loan to Villareal, Sessegnon will be 22 at the end of this season.

Aside from the Liverpool game Sess has so far been a passanger, and this is his THIRD season at the club. Foyth was out after his third.

How is everyone not seeing the double standards?

Well, while he tries to find his feet with a run of games, we're gonna have to put up with some substandard performances, and at this club, a blip turns into a crisis in the blink of an eye, I don't see how we're in a position to accomodate him. Even if he was to get a run of games to build himself up, he still needs to meet a minimum contribution threshold, which he's not doing.

Look at Tanganga as another example, he started well but hasn't been great this season, do we insist on him getting a run of games too?

Foyth was a cheap punt, a bit part player, but he's actually contributed a little. He played 90 mins in our 3-0 win against Dortmund in the 2019 season, and started in a handful of other good wins, before we sold him for a small profit. Foyth was 22 when we sent him on loan to Villareal, Sessegnon will be 22 at the end of this season.

Aside from the Liverpool game Sess has so far been a passanger, and this is his THIRD season at the club. Foyth was out after his third.

How is everyone not seeing the double standards?

I meant this bit specifically:

"Look at the reaction to the 3 straight losses. The pressure seems too much for the club and for him to bear."

He barely featured in those losses......

- He was hooked against Wolves (28m) for tactical reasons
- Replaced by a more attacking player (Lucas 58m) vs Chelsea having played in a dysfunctional experimental system that was more B-team than first XI.
- He didn't even play against S'oton.

....He then went on to do OK vs City (not great, but OK; this was against one of the most feared attacks in the world!).

........As for the semi-rant about double standards; I think you're just reaching for something that isn't there.

Last edited:
I meant this bits specifically:

"Look at the reaction to the 3 straight losses. The pressure seems too much for the club and for him to bear."

He barely featured in those losses......

- He was hooked against Wolves (28m) for tactical reasons
- Replaced by a more attacking player (Lucas 58m) vs Chelsea having played in a dysfunctional experimental system that was more B-team than first XI.
- He didn't even play against S'oton.

....He then went on to do OK vs City (not great, but OK; this was against one of the most feared attacks in the world!).

........As for the semi-rant about double standards; I think you're just reaching for something that isn't there.
The point is that there is little room for error given the tight margins, and how easily a bad result can turn into a string of bad result. How the fans loose their fucking minds when that happens. We need every little we can get.

How are we in a position to give Sessegnon a run of games?

Double standards rant is pretty fucking valid. We are collectively (rightly) at Emerson's throat for his horrific displays, and he's only a year older than Sessegnon. We're constantly on about buying "winners", but for Sessgnon it's "give him him another chance".

While people are happy to slag off Foyth, and Emerson, some of you seem to have conjoured up this hidden Sessegnon within Sessegnon who will do well, if only we can draw him out.

It's not like Ndombele, where you could see flashes of outragous skill that made you wish he would come good.

I'm not entirely opposed to giving the boy a chance, but he's certainly not given us a reason to be so hopeful.

The point is that there is little room for error given the tight margins, and how easily a bad result can turn into a string of bad result. How the fans loose their fucking minds when that happens. We need every little we can get.

How are we in a position to give Sessegnon a run of games?

He's unlikely to get one whilst Reg stays fit. He's a back up and such is the life of a back-up at any club..... Unless you are City or similar; that's just a common quandry that both we and player have to bear.

Double standards rant is pretty fucking valid. We are collectively (rightly) at Emerson's throat for his horrific displays, and he's only a year older than Sessegnon. We're constantly on about buying "winners", but for Sessgnon it's "give him him another chance".

While people are happy to slag off Foyth, and Emerson, some of you seem to have conjoured up this hidden Sessegnon within Sessegnon who will do well, if only we can draw him out.

It's not like Ndombele, where you could see flashes of outragous skill that made you wish he would come good.

I'm not entirely opposed to giving the boy a chance, but he's certainly not given us a reason to be so hopeful.

You can probably afford to chill a bit.....

The reason your rant is a bit unwarranted is that's it's a reaction to the opinion of one man... The fact is that plenty have criticised Sess; some want him sold; some are prepared to persevere a bit longer; but very few are arguing he should be granted a run of games.. Especially if Reg is fit and ready to play.

When all is said and done he is our #2 LB until the summer at the earliest (unless one prefers the dreadful thought of Doh out on the left again)... Best buckle up until then.

Back
Top Bottom