Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He went off the pitch just in front of us and I couldn't see any emotion on his face - neither anger, frustration or sadness, just an acceptance. He still looks like a little boy lost, which I suppose is understandable, as he has had such limited playing time, for whatever reason.
Credit to the crowd in the East and South stands for applauding him off, as I really can't see him ever recovering if there had been any barracking.
Although I think there is a player in there somewhere, don't think we're ever going to see it, unfortunately.

I don't know if it was on this site but I said when we signed him that he wasn't all that he was cracked out ot be, but I got a lot of abuse.

If you watched him play for Fulham, the only thing he stood out for was his composure in front of goal, and poaching a lot of goals. He's fast, but not that fast, he doesn't have the ball playing abilities of his peers Sancho, Hudson-Odoi or Foden who won that u17/18 world cup in india.

I remember the discussion around him at the time being that he wasn't great defensively but Poch would be able to convert him. He wasn't going to challenge Son so FB, WB would suit him better. I also remember plenty of excuses for his poor showing for Fulham in the PL and getting dropped by Ranieri etc.

IMO, if he went to that world cup he would have got exposed.

Yeah, I had the same experience watching him in the championship. Was never surprised he got exposed in the Premier League, clever runs at the back post won't cut it when you make that step up. Especially when you're not playing for one of the two most dominant teams.

I find it odd that we pulled the trigger on a 25 million signing for him, but have had zero interest in players who genuinely looked electric at that level. Danjuma, Eze and Olise being three of the main ones. I'm not even saying these players would've been a success here, but at least they looked a cut above other players in the Championship. Sessegnon just looked a capable cog in the wheel.

It was a fairly brutal substitution. He’s finished here after that you would think. . Whatever little bit of confidence he has shot to pieces. Again it all goes back to 25 million wasted on a player not up to the requisite standard.

It was a fairly brutal substitution. He’s finished here after that you would think. . Whatever little bit of confidence he has shot to pieces. Again it all goes back to 25 million wasted on a player not up to the requisite standard.
He’s the one player from the summer ‘19 window that I still held out hope for. For no real reason I also had a soft spot for him, but it doesn’t seem to be working out.

We’re at the point where the summer ‘18 and ‘19 window are the same as neither gave us any players, the only difference being money spent.

He was woeful yesterday - bereft of any confidence or belief - when under no pressure he lamely headed the ball to a wolves player on 3 occasions in quick succession - I turned to my son and said we might as well take him off because he is a liability - considering I was sat in the mid tier in the Paxton end that conte has bloody good hearing.

The thing that sets top level players from lesser ones at times is mentality. Loads of players lower down that on their day can do the same as the top level ones but they don't have the right head on their shoulders to make it happen. Sess comes into this category I'm afraid too timid doesn't have the desire and no fight in him.

Davies was at fault for one of the goals whilst Sess wasn't even playing bad. Conte decides to take off the player playing better and move the player that has made 2 errors in the last 2 games leading to goals into a position he doesn't even think he's good at.

yes makes perfect sense.

The fact that we were pinned back so long is hugely down this scared little boy. Even Emerson did better.

The fact we were pinned back is because Man City is the best team in the land.
The danger came down our right.
On the left we were pretty competent.
We were not competent on either side.

City just failed to capitalise on the left with Sterling and Mahrez the way they did with Cancelo.

How many times did Sess try to dribble out with the ball and lose possession? How many times did lose a 1v1 against Sterling, Mahrez and Foden? How many times did he get into a tangle of legs in the left midfield position and lose the ball?

There weren't many howlers per se, but he lost practically every battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think defensively, both him and Emerson did ok, they didn't really have to push up much and it sort of suited them, a simplified game, even if it was a difficult task.

There was a moment in the first half that summed it up for me though. Kane sends Emerson away down the right. Emerson overshit his cross and it goes to Sessegnon, who shins it out of play. That's where our wing-back problem is, they all lack quality in attack.

We were not competent on either side.

City just failed to capitalise on the left with Sterling and Mahrez the way they did with Cancelo.

How many times did Sess try to dribble out with the ball and lose possession? How many times did lose a 1v1 against Sterling, Mahrez and Foden? How many times did he get into a tangle of legs in the left midfield position and lose the ball?

There were many howlers per se, but he lost practically every battle.
I thought he dealt with Sterling very well.
Sterling even switched to the left.
All our grief today as I saw it, and as the commentators on my stream saw it, was down our right.

Back
Top Bottom