Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan has criticised Tottenham's late pursuit and their initial bid for Ryan Sessegnon in the summer transfer window.

Spurs have been interested in the 19-year-old for some time and eventually sealed a deal for the teenager on deadline day, with midfielder Josh Onomah heading the other way on a permanent deal.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is renowned for his late moves in the transfer market as he looks to get the best possible price for the north London club. Spurs also signed Giovani Lo Celso on loan from Real Betis on deadline day, with an option to make the deal a permanent one at any time.

However, Khan criticised the late approach and initial offer for Sessegnon, who had long been keen on a move to link up with Mauricio Pochettino, as it ended up ruining their own chances of buying another player as they looked to keep onside with financial fair play regulations.

"We heard from them for the first time two weeks before the close of the window. We had been making all our deals under the assumption that Ryan could wind the contract down and they were not going to offer us anything. I was totally prepared for that," Khan said in an interview with Fulham Football Club TV.

"It seemed like it might be a likely scenario when he still had not heard from them a couple of weeks out, which is why I was doing loan deals where we knew the club would compliant with Financial Fair Play rules.

"We had got three of our top four targets on loan but there was still a lot of uncertainty about what we could do in the rest of the window after we got Ivan Cavaleiro, Anthony Knockaert and Harry Arter.

"It turned out we were not able to buy any players because this transaction had been held up. And when I finally got an offer it was so ridiculously low that I had to make it super clear that we were not going to take a penny less our asking price, which is exactly what we got."

Khan claimed that the deal broke down a number of times in the final days because the two London sides were so far apart in their valuations of Sessegnon.

"If it was a penny less than our asking price I was perfectly fine for the player to wind his contract down," he explained.

"We were so far apart that 24 hours before the deadline I was prepared for Ryan to stay at Fulham this year. We were going to get every penny that we asked for, and we got every penny we asked for.

"I wish it had not taken so long. People have said 'you knew you were going to get the money, why did you not go out and spend it?' No, until we had every penny in hand I was not going to go out and spend it.

Got a problem with FFP rules there Fulham? Tough shit, know your place, and stop over spending on garbage, one West Ham is enough!!

But until the buying club make an offer there is no guarantee of a deal or at least something to work with. Levy's job is to get the best deal for Spurs but as has been said by some it's the way he conducts deals that has left a sour taste
Not ever sure why it upsets so many hard nosed business who’d behave in exactly the same manner given the circumstances and awareness.
Just because the buying club hasn’t made an offer yet, when the offer lands why would it cause consternation. Speak to the player and manager, put contingencies in place, not sit back and act surprised when shock horror another club tries to obtain the services of your player by means that are favourable to them.

Not ever sure why it upsets so many hard nosed business who’d behave in exactly the same manner given the circumstances and awareness.
Just because the buying club hasn’t made an offer yet, when the offer lands why would it cause consternation. Speak to the player and manager, put contingencies in place, not sit back and act surprised when shock horror another club tries to obtain the services of your player by means that are favourable to them.

Screams of an egocentric cunt who is used to having people over a barrell and didn't like it when the table was turned.

Tony Khan is a carny. A big loudmouth.

Also unconfirmed but heard he wanks dogs.

Last edited:
At least let Levy respond Mr Khan.

EB2n47SXsAAXCAK

He didn’t prepare? I’ve been hearing about this transfer for about 3 years now

s
Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan has criticised Tottenham's late pursuit and their initial bid for Ryan Sessegnon in the summer transfer window.

Spurs have been interested in the 19-year-old for some time and eventually sealed a deal for the teenager on deadline day, with midfielder Josh Onomah heading the other way on a permanent deal.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is renowned for his late moves in the transfer market as he looks to get the best possible price for the north London club. Spurs also signed Giovani Lo Celso on loan from Real Betis on deadline day, with an option to make the deal a permanent one at any time.

However, Khan criticised the late approach and initial offer for Sessegnon, who had long been keen on a move to link up with Mauricio Pochettino, as it ended up ruining their own chances of buying another player as they looked to keep onside with financial fair play regulations.

"We heard from them for the first time two weeks before the close of the window. We had been making all our deals under the assumption that Ryan could wind the contract down and they were not going to offer us anything. I was totally prepared for that," Khan said in an interview with Fulham Football Club TV.

"It seemed like it might be a likely scenario when he still had not heard from them a couple of weeks out, which is why I was doing loan deals where we knew the club would compliant with Financial Fair Play rules.

"We had got three of our top four targets on loan but there was still a lot of uncertainty about what we could do in the rest of the window after we got Ivan Cavaleiro, Anthony Knockaert and Harry Arter.

"It turned out we were not able to buy any players because this transaction had been held up. And when I finally got an offer it was so ridiculously low that I had to make it super clear that we were not going to take a penny less our asking price, which is exactly what we got."

Khan claimed that the deal broke down a number of times in the final days because the two London sides were so far apart in their valuations of Sessegnon.

"If it was a penny less than our asking price I was perfectly fine for the player to wind his contract down," he explained.

"We were so far apart that 24 hours before the deadline I was prepared for Ryan to stay at Fulham this year. We were going to get every penny that we asked for, and we got every penny we asked for.

"I wish it had not taken so long. People have said 'you knew you were going to get the money, why did you not go out and spend it?' No, until we had every penny in hand I was not going to go out and spend it.

Tough luck, should have tried selling Sessegnon to us last summer when his stock was so hot after he lit their Championship promotion. Instead he had a PL season which wasn’t his finest moment due to the massive squad and management changes.

Imagine anyone from Tottenham management coming out a bitching like that to the press.

Oi, Khan you've been made to look a right tit. It's your responsibility to have all the bases covered, you didn't and that's down to no one else but yourself you daft twat.
Levy when we sold Keane was pretty cringe..

"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect," Levy said. "I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction.

"I don't regard it as a transfer deal – that is something which happens between two clubs when both agree to trade – this is very much an enforced sale."

"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect," Levy said. "I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction.

"I don't regard it as a transfer deal – that is something which happens between two clubs when both agree to trade – this is very much an enforced sale."
Yep learnt his lesson. Never comment on a deal.

Then people complain about Levy, everybody’s at it just that Daniel has now become very prolific

Yep learnt his lesson. Never comment on a deal.

Besides, his comments imply we had no choice but to sell him on the basis that they'd been working on him without consent... Something that Dippers came unstuck over with VVD.

It's mid august now; if anything that all sounds quite quick given Poch's usual approach and the fact he's been injured all summer(*)... Especially as there is already Rose ahead of him in the pecking order.... Sounds like a little Carabao Cup run out to me.

(*GLC will have had 3 weeks pre-season/training ahead of him and I'll be surpised to see much of him in the coming weeks either.)

Back
Top Bottom