Rudiger claims he heard monkey chants

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Totally ashamed to hear of these reports.
I'm hopeful there was a miss understanding of sorts - but I do fear the worst is true.

We were playing terrible and losing at home to one of our main rivals. It was fucking infuriating and believe this would by why some morons think any behaviour is acceptable at that point.

The objects being thrown at players is a poor show - you have to hit them.

But the reports of racism are truly upsetting. I don't think of my club as being like in any way, shape or form.

Totally ashamed to hear of these reports.
I'm hopeful there was a miss understanding of sorts - but I do fear the worst is true.

We were playing terrible and losing at home to one of our main rivals. It was fucking infuriating and believe this would by why some morons think any behaviour is acceptable at that point.

The objects being thrown at players is a poor show - you have to hit them.

But the reports of racism are truly upsetting. I don't think of my club as being like in any way, shape or form.

Very hard to legislate for one or two morons in a crowd of 62k.

If proven, the cunt should be gone from our club for good.

It wouldn't really surprise me if the odd moron has made monkey sounds or whatever (haven't seen any evidence yet, but there were 62k people and we shouldn't be naive about it), but that doesn't say anything about Spurs fans in general.

Last edited:
On the right hand side of our two STs are two black guys, one of who is 80 and on the left hand side is another black guy who sometimes brings his dad.

Anyone saying anything racist within my earshot would be quickly shut down. I wouldn't stand for it.

I don't think Spurs fans are inherently racist, but as with all walks of life there will be some racist people that happen to support Spurs. The worst thing that can happen with racism is that everyone gets lumped in together like this, that's not going to help solve the problem.

I was thinking on it a bit earlier actually when someone commented on how much or little racism they'd heard at games. I went to the old Lane many times over a 15 year span and never heard any racism from any spurs fans that I can recall. By contrast I've been to the new stadium twice and have heard racism on both occasions. That makes me wonder what's changed. I suspect it's less to do with Spurs fans and more to do with stadium tourism.

Of course there is racism amongst spurs fans, It is unfortunately a part of society.

In this particular incident I think lots of people are interpreting the claims in different ways, from one person making monkey noises to some mass chant. I would wait to see exactly what has been reported. I was sitting near the incident and heard nothing but it certainly wouldnt surprise if some idiot(s) did something and they should be found and banned for life. Having said that some of the media coverage is, in my opinion, rather misleading as it gives the impression of numerous loud racist chants which I strongly believe did not happen. The announcement being played 3 times afaik is protocol too rather than meaning 3 + things have been reported

I don't think Spurs fans are inherently racist, but as with all walks of life there will be some racist people that happen to support Spurs. The worst thing that can happen with racism is that everyone gets lumped in together like this, that's not going to help solve the problem.

I was thinking on it a bit earlier actually when someone commented on how much or little racism they'd heard at games. I went to the old Lane many times over a 15 year span and never heard any racism from any spurs fans that I can recall. By contrast I've been to the new stadium twice and have heard racism on both occasions.That makes me wonder what's changed.

30k newbies?

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Very difficult to prove that anyone was making monkey gestures, as I understand that’s what Rudiger saw, judging by reports on Sky. There’s even a photo of him doing it back.

Even the guy who got outed for doing it in Manchester, I first saw it and thought he was just doing blustery fat man arm wobbling. A very easy defence of “no m’lud, I was scratching my armpits”.

Of course there is racism amongst spurs fans, It is unfortunately a part of society.

In this particular incident I think lots of people are interpreting the claims in different ways, from one person making monkey noises to some mass chant. I would wait to see exactly what has been reported. I was sitting near the incident and heard nothing but it certainly wouldnt surprise if some idiot(s) did something and they should be found and banned for life. Having said that some of the media coverage is, in my opinion, rather misleading as it gives the impression of numerous loud racist chants which I strongly believe did not happen. The announcement being played 3 times afaik is protocol too rather than meaning 3 + things have been reported
Nobody seems to know that’s the protocol though. News outlets still maintaining there COULD have been three separate issues.

Back
Top Bottom