Romelu Lukaku

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is different, Chelsea need money it will be the highest bidder, they will simply try and get as much money as possible out of us. We wanted to keep modric and Chelsea wanted willian, this time there is mutual interest as long as we pay more than Everton.
Don't underestimate Levy's grudgebearing. There is no chance. If you don't believe me, look up Michael Bridge who has his ear in the club and says the same.

This is pretty misleading considering you're counting Soldado's EL goals and penalties which Lukaku doesn't have the luxury of. Soldado could obviously come good but I'm also still worried he isn't big and strong enough to be a lone striker in the Prem. He's looked best when him and Adebayor have paired together.

It's a statistic though, isn't it.

It's misleading to compare Soldado to anyone in a negative way considering the environment he's been subjected to this season on and off pitch (including two tactically inept managers playing him out of position).

If people can 'fairly' slate the guy for not scoring, surely we can also 'fairly' praise him for scoring, regardless of what the goals were and who against.

Lukaku was a top 5 EPL goalscorer last year at age 19 and he's back in the top 10 this year despite missing a fair few games. He would be a massive signing for us.

Also, it's pretty clear that if his agent is openly holding transfer talks with clubs that he probably isn't in the plans at Chelsea next season. It seems pretty clear that Chelsea wants Diego Costa. Chelsea sold Mata to United because they were the largest bidder and I think it's because they are acclimatizing to the oncoming threat of the mythical FIFA fair play. It seems to me like they will sell to the highest bidder just like last time.

So let's look at it, the three that I'm guessing will be most in contention are us, Everton and Woolwich. Mourinho hates Woolwich and they will probably low ball them anyway. Plus, they'll most likely be in CL so Mourinho will see them as the biggest threat. He wouldn't even loan them Ba last year. So it is Everton and us. Well, I'll take our chances any day in a bidding war against Everton. Especially because we're going to be desperate. We'll be able to blow them out of the water with both fee and wages. If they don't make the Champions League there isn't really much different between the clubs especially because we'll have a new manager, money will talk for both player and Chelsea.

Now much can slip twixt cup and lip but I think on the face we look like the most likely fit for him. I'm not worried about the Sherwood aspect as he's gone so we just need to bring in a solid manager. Obviously a big World Cup or one of the big continental teams coming in could alter things but if the situation is us in bidding war with Everton then I'm not too concerned.

Last edited:
It's a statistic though, isn't it.

It's misleading to compare Soldado to anyone in a negative way considering the environment he's been subjected to this season on and off pitch (including two tactically inept managers playing him out of position).

If people can 'fairly' slate the guy for not scoring, surely we can also 'fairly' praise him for scoring, regardless of what the goals were and who against.

Soldado could be an entirely different player next season I have no idea but even with two tactically inept coaches he's missed at least a dozen chances that strikers dream of.

Ultimately though I think the biggest thing working against him is age. He's the one signing who really needed to hit the ground running. With all the other ones we can afford to wait but with Soldado I'm not surprised the club is getting cold feet and trying find a young striker.

I hope he really gets on a tear here though. Seems like a lovely man. I think he might ultimately be best suited as a backup striker though. Maybe it's just my personal preference but if we're going to play one up top I want him to be a real physical unit.

Soldado could be an entirely different player next season I have no idea but even with two tactically inept coaches he's missed at least a dozen chances that strikers dream of.

Ultimately though I think the biggest thing working against him is age. He's the one signing who really needed to hit the ground running. With all the other ones we can afford to wait but with Soldado I'm not surprised the club is getting cold feet and trying find a young striker.

I hope he really gets on a tear here though. Seems like a lovely man. I think he might ultimately be best suited as a backup striker though. Maybe it's just my personal preference but if we're going to play one up top I want him to be a real physical unit.

I don't disagree, and he is getting older so I wouldn't be averse to his leaving in the summer, but I certainly don't approve of people mocking him (or the inference that he is crap) when he has still returned only a couple of goals less than a guy with an 'amazing' season.

Soldado is the kind of player that needs something Sherwood doesn't give him, should never have dropped him for how many games after he finally scored, it's no wonder he can't score the easy goals - he must be destroyed inside with the season he's had.

I don't disagree, and he is getting older so I wouldn't be averse to his leaving in the summer, but I certainly don't approve of people mocking him (or the inference that he is crap) when he has still returned only a couple of goals less than a guy with an 'amazing' season.

Soldado is the kind of player that needs something Sherwood doesn't give him, should never have dropped him for how many games after he finally scored, it's no wonder he can't score the easy goals - he must be destroyed inside with the season he's had.

Soldado's started 15 of Sherwood's 23 games. He's hardly been a forgotten man. Sherwood gave him a lot of chances in a 4-4-2 when everyone was going absolutely mental about us playing that formation. The only questionable moment was Benfica but it didn't seem like we were really playing a full strength team. He's played tons under Sherwood even though we have one of the most in form strikers in the league. I don't know how that can be a complaint, I think Sherwood's gone to great lengths to include him, even changing the formation. He could have easily benched him for Adebayor for the long term.

he's paid to play a game, paid well. at his age with the level of experience he's had i think the mind games bullshit is ridiculous

So if your wife had a miscarriage you'd be happy with your boss saying that you're paid to do a job and you have no excuses?

(as a note, I'm not saying a manager has said that, but normal people are judged in the same way)

So if your wife had a miscarriage you'd be happy with your boss saying that you're paid to do a job and you have no excuses?

(as a note, I'm not saying a manager has said that, but normal people are judged in the same way)
lol he plays sports for $$$$$, he kicks a ball around on a lawn as a profession, does he have the broken mind of a fragile 16 year old girl or is he unable to perform in the EPL? He may get another chance to prove himself but he hasnt all season so fuck knows.

Soldado's started 15 of Sherwood's 23 games. He's hardly been a forgotten man. Sherwood gave him a lot of chances in a 4-4-2 when everyone was going absolutely mental about us playing that formation. The only questionable moment was Benfica but it didn't seem like we were really playing a full strength team. He's played tons under Sherwood even though we have one of the most in form strikers in the league. I don't know how that can be a complaint, I think Sherwood's gone to great lengths to include him, even changing the formation. He could have easily benched him for Adebayor for the long term.

Not quite sure 15 out of 23 is quite accurate, as I have 9 games where Soldado didn't start under Sherwood.

The run of games beforehand is irrelevant, its what happened when he did score:

Su 02Mar 2014 Tottenham 1 - 0 Cardiff - Soldado scores only goal of the game and we win
Sa 08Mar 2014 Chelsea 4 - 0 Tottenham - Dropped, no one scores
Th 13Mar 2014 Tottenham 1 - 3 Benfica - Subbed on with 15 mins run out
Su 16Mar 2014 Tottenham 0 - 1 Woolwich - Subbed on late with 8 mins left

He should have been started, I mean he played Harry Kane ahead of him at Benfica.

I think people are far too harsh on him. He's hardly had a perfect year for circumstances and deserves a little credit for what he has done for us and the points he's won us in a team playing crap

lol he plays sports for $$$$$, he kicks a ball around on a lawn as a profession, does he have the broken mind of a fragile 16 year old girl or is he unable to perform in the EPL? He may get another chance to prove himself but he hasnt all season so fuck knows.

That's perhaps the lowest thing I've heard on here

Call me old fashioned, a prick even, but I don't want any Chelsea slags playing at WHL

We had Gallas, he played for both...

Glenn Hoddle, Micky Hazard, Clive Allen

Then there's also...

Scotty P
David Copeland
Carlo Cudicini
Jason Cundy
Kerry Dixon
Gordon Durie
Mark Falco
Jimmy Greaves
Frode Grodas
Eidur Gudjohnsen

Considering Lukaku has only played 10 times for them, it's not an issue for me even slightly

Then there's also...

Scotty P
David Copeland
Carlo Cudicini
Jason Cundy
Kerry Dixon
Gordon Durie
Mark Falco
Jimmy Greaves
Frode Grodas
Eidur Gudjohnsen

Considering Lukaku has only played 10 times for them, it's not an issue for me even slightly

Yeah if anything he is anti Chelsea, 2 years of loan while the strikers at chelscum have been diabolical, it won't happen but I think he would be great, i was following him when playing in Belgium an immense talent WITH THE RIGHT MANAGEMENT

Lukaku is good at most parts of the attacking game but as a target man he still has a lot to learn, loses lots of balls and above all his first touch can be really poor. Good mindset, strong and hungry though.

Yeah if anything he is anti Chelsea, 2 years of loan while the strikers at chelscum have been diabolical, it won't happen but I think he would be great, i was following him when playing in Belgium an immense talent WITH THE RIGHT MANAGEMENT

Definitely, he's not a Terry/Lampard or anyone of them lot even by a long shot.

People are banging on about Mourinho not wanting, him, which I corrected (Lukaku went over Mourinho's head to leave) but it fell on deaf ears I feel.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ed-to-go-storms-Chelsea-manager-Jose-Mourinho

Then there's also...

Scotty P
David Copeland
Carlo Cudicini
Jason Cundy
Kerry Dixon
Gordon Durie
Mark Falco
Jimmy Greaves
Frode Grodas
Eidur Gudjohnsen

Hoddle hazard and Allen don't count. Greaves was a genius. Like the way you hid him amongst the shit.

The rest were dreadful bar a season off Parker. Why do we want another reject from them. Why would they let him go if their strike force is so bad?

Not quite sure 15 out of 23 is quite accurate, as I have 9 games where Soldado didn't start under Sherwood.

The run of games beforehand is irrelevant, its what happened when he did score:

Su 02Mar 2014 Tottenham 1 - 0 Cardiff - Soldado scores only goal of the game and we win
Sa 08Mar 2014 Chelsea 4 - 0 Tottenham - Dropped, no one scores
Th 13Mar 2014 Tottenham 1 - 3 Benfica - Subbed on with 15 mins run out
Su 16Mar 2014 Tottenham 0 - 1 Woolwich - Subbed on late with 8 mins left

He should have been started, I mean he played Harry Kane ahead of him at Benfica.

I think people are far too harsh on him. He's hardly had a perfect year for circumstances and deserves a little credit for what he has done for us and the points he's won us in a team playing crap

Benfica is the only game where he shouldn't have been dropped. Adebayor was the obvious starter for both the Chelsea and Woolwich games. Anyway, my point was it isn't like Sherwood is benching him. He's played a ton and had lots of chances he hasn't been able to convert. I'd be willing to bet he's top ten in appearances under Sherwood.

Back
Top Bottom