Romelu Lukaku

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's a good player - but we now have something we've not had before - a team. A group of players fighting for eachother. The fact that he is looking to leave Everton, who seem to be on the same upward curve we were a year or two ago, says to me that he's not a good fit, however good he may be.

Maybe in a few years, with some cash sploshing about from the new stadium, we can take a punt on a mercenary, but right now, we have a real team, for the first time in years and years, and I wouldn't sacrifice that for someone who has shown themselves to be all about themself before their team.

Lukaku would be a brilliant signing and would make a devasting attacking team. However I can see him pushing for a move to PSG, Bayern or back to Chelsea.

We could offer him everything he wants, including the wages, it's just I think he is looking for league titles, CL success and as much £££ as he can get which we cannot offer all of these... although I think we'll win the title soon enough.

We have the money.. we spent £20m on Janssen, £30m on Sissoko and £11m on Nkoduo.. that combined could of bought him. I just think we'll go after someone that Poch can still mould.

He's too good for Everton, and although we are bigger and much better than Everton, I still thin he'll be looking for bigger.

If he does move to Chelsea then we should be going for Batshuayi. He's wasted at Chelsea and has the potential to be brilliant with the right support.

We should be looking to either spend £20m on 3 good match day squad players or £30m on 2 marquee signings.

Sorry but I completely disagree, that's exactly what we've done over the last 10 or more years and it's a terrible approach that just leads to masses of dead wood and large clear outs every summer.

We shouldn't be buying 'squad players' at all, we have great cover in defence (Tripper, Davies, Wimmer, CCV) and good options in the two in front of them (Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Dier).

If we want to progress we need to bring in someone who is good enough to replace Eriksen, Dele or Lamela (or even Kane as our front 4 are very fluid) and effectively make one of them the 'squad player'. That will put pressure on everyone to perform every game as they know if they give 75% one game they'll be warming the bench for a run of games.

Sadly to do that we'll have to spend more than £30M in the current market. We really don't want to upset squad harmony by signing 3 players who might each get 8/10 games a season. The good news is one special signing could elevate us to serious contenders. I'm not saying it should be Lukaku necessarily (though I think he could work).

That's right, let's spunk 60 million on a player who doesn't actually improve our first team. He's not better than Kane, and there is no way that we are playing with both him and Kane. This is the dumbest transfer link I've seen since the arrival of SausageVince SausageVince

He doesnt fit our style of play, he doesnt counterpress at all. He functions the best in a counter attacking team but not in a team that asks a lot of flexibility from a striker. He works hard to create space and run at defenders, he does not chase balls or puts defenders under a lot of pressure when the opponent is in possession.

Another brilliant piece of marketing by Mino Raiola. No-one has ever spoken about Lukaku in these terms ever before, now he has been on the back pages, Radio and TV every day for two weeks and spoken as one of the worlds greatest strikers, WHAT??

He is good, he is young and has great physical presence.

His game however is not well suited to ours. For us he might be a good option off the bench for the final 20mins, as a loan striker outlet that can still be a threat and may require a team to put two men on him.

If we want to progress we need to bring in someone who is good enough to replace Eriksen, Dele or Lamela (or even Kane as our front 4 are very fluid) and effectively make one of them the 'squad player'.

Good luck with that.

We're in a position where there are very few players better than the ones we have and most of those already play for Barca or Real.

Same bloke that had never scored against us until Jan decided to slip over and give him a freebie?

He's good, but why are people talking like he's anywhere close to a Kane/Costa/Aguero
because in the right team he's getting close to that level of performance and consistency and he has assets the others dont have (and the other way around). But he's not the player we need if we keep playing the Poch way

How the hell did we waste 8 pages on something that will never happen?

We're not about to drop 50 million on a guy who would not be a back-up, but would never play in the starting 11 if everyone is healthy.

He does not address any need we have, nor is he a realistic price. Even in a 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-2 we don't use two strikers, we use Kane and a fast, wide forward constantly moving. Lukaku is not that kind of player.

Buying 2 guys for 25 million each in other roles would be much smarter. We can't afford 50 million on one player, and even if we could, couldn't get the players actually worth that.

Back
Top Bottom