Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His job is still to score goals as a centre forward. If he isn’t getting chances it’s because his teammates aren’t creating enough,his movement and runs aren’t good enough or he isn’t sniffing out chances. If he goes through a season not scoring regularly it’s detrimental to the team even if he’s still opening up space for others. Top centre forwards can do both. He’s not a top centre forward.
It doesn't matter if he was a top centre forward if no-one can find him in the box.

No he doesn’t. I watch him and he doesn’t actually contribute much at all. Yes he barges about and runs but that’s basic as fuck.
I’m waiting for him to have a real run of games. He can score but what I really like is the hustle and energy he brings. To me he’s a 10 goal a season player. When he starts getting some service and continues not to score then I’ll be worried.

I’m waiting for him to have a real run of games. He can score but what I really like is the hustle and energy he brings. To me he’s a 10 goal a season player. When he starts getting some service and continues not to score then I’ll be worried.
IF he can stay injury free and get a decent run of games.. think he'll get between 15 and 20...used to coach some Brazilian kids and used to give them heaps about neymar not delivering... their stock answer was for club no but for Brazil ALWAYS ... I didn't admit Att but they were right ...think it's partly loyalty ect ect ...but it seems true for a lot of South American players maybe it's the bigger stage... Who knows,but it's a concern . I'm thinking though he's got a point to prove ... So I'm leaning to him delivering... But there has to be a doubt .

Who we gonna play up top then?

And if you’re gonna say Son, then we need to replace with a top winger/wide forward.

Either way, yes, we would absolutely need a replacement.
Yeah I think perhaps Son and buy a winger, and blood some youngsters - Scarlett and the Argie. Just as much chance they come good than any other striker that ENIC buy IMO. If it’s a disaster, get Toney

Its the 60 million price tage thats confusing people.

I don't think anyone is assuming Rich will bag a top ST tally because of his price-tag...........

At his best Richarlison is no more than a midtable striker, at his worst, he is donkey shit. The club looks like its woken up again and it would be dumb if we didnt buy a striker in the remaining days of the transfer window and try to go for it.

The premise between those tweets is utter bollcks.

Rich started 2 games at ST last season and he's being compared to players that were afforded gametime in their actual position..... And in Soldado's case a fuck tonne of opportunity.

If anyone wants to argue that Jansen is a better EPL player than Rich; well........ Then they're fucking morons.

Its the 60 million price tage thats confusing people. At his best Richarlison is no more than a midtable striker, at his worst, he is donkey shit. The club looks like its woken up again and it would be dumb if we didnt buy a striker in the remaining days of the transfer window and try to go for it.
The appeal of Richarlison was that he's a versatile and good Premier League player who does a ton of work for the team and provides a platform for others while chipping in goals himself. He makes his teams hard to play against for club and country.

And then with Kane, Son, and Kulusevski you had a situation where any trio of the foursome was a good, workable front 3, leaving us in a great depth position to fight on four fronts.

Obviously last year went to hell in a handbasket in every possible way. And Richy is now miscast as the primary goal source center forward, with the confidence just visibly draining from him week by week in obvious disharmony with the tactics and his teammates.

It sucks. If I knew what to do I'd say so.

He's gotta develop a rhythm and understanding with Sonny, but honest to god have the two ever completed a pass to one another?

I don't think anyone is assuming Rich will bag a top ST tally because of his price-tag...........

The premise between those tweets is utter bollcks.

Rich started 2 games at ST last season and he's being compared to players that were afforded gametime in their actual position..... And in Soldado's case a fuck tonne of opportunity.

If anyone wants to argue that Jansen is a better EPL player than Rich; well........ Then they're fucking morons.
If he was some random £10m player , no one would think of giving him yet another chance again. Even if people dont realise it, the price tag is definitely a factor for why he is being afforded so much extra patience by some people.

If he was some random £10m player , no one would think of giving him yet another chance again. Even if people dont realise it, the price tag is definitely a factor for why he is being afforded so much extra patience by some people.

Meh.... The tweet you responded to wasn't in the business of encouraging patience.

I'm not convinced by your stab at being a psychologist over price-tag either.

I thought Njie didn't get a fair crack..... I thought similar of KWP, Ledlin, Onomah and no doubt other low/no cost players over the years. Poch seemed to wash his hands of Llorente after all but 5 minutes even though he proved to quite be useful to us in the end..... And on....

Last edited:
Has he ever completed 90 mins? He’s been truly awful but he’s hardly played tbh, and not been given a chance find any rhythm. I’m torn

Can you explain what he did wrong in the last two matches that he shouldn't be given another chance? As far as I can tell he's doing his primary job, but the players behind him aren't doing theirs.

Can you explain what he did wrong in the last two matches that he shouldn't be given another chance?

I am in the 'give him more games to at least show something' crowd as you can't give up on a 60m player quickly, but sure...

- Failed to consistently control a football.
- Lost duels consistently. No CB has had trouble with him so far.
- Failed to create anything for teammates. Passing extremely wayward.
-Offered no individual moments. Not beaten a defender, not dribbled, not come up with a bit of skill.

He's been bad. This whole 'he's doing what he asked' excuse is rubbish. Stick Kane up top for these two games and he has moments - great passes, shots, gets himself involved. He probably scores in at least one game.

I am in the 'give him more games to at least show something' crowd as you can't give up on a 60m player quickly, but sure...

-Offered no individual moments. Not beaten a defender, not dribbled, not come up with a bit of skill.

He's been bad. This whole 'he's doing what he asked' excuse is rubbish. Stick Kane up top for these two games and he has moments - great passes, shots, gets himself involved. He probably scores in at least one game.
Well, you can't compare him to Kane.. they are galaxies apart as players.

Honestly, that's EXACTLY how I feel when I see numbers and stats (and don't get me started on xG...

Not that stats don't have a place in football, but it's just so clinical and don't really focus on the HUMAN FEELING (Euphoric or frustrated) you get at games

....I GUESS it's all just too AVB-esque for me to truly grasp!

Human feeling is flawed. The ratings represent a record of performance over a period of time, not just a hunch or feeling.

Totally agree with this. You can put up with fewer goals if the other parts of his game is very good but there’s nothing that he does that causes problems for the opposition. Nobody is scared of his pace,defenders know he won’t turn them or beat them with a bit of skill and can’t link up with team mates.
I’m taking time out from the Richarlison debate and hope he comes good because I don’t have anything against him. I just think he’s not very good and expect an awful lot more for a £60 million player.

Totally agree with this. You can put up with fewer goals if the other parts of his game is very good but there’s nothing that he does that causes problems for the opposition. Nobody is scared of his pace,defenders know he won’t turn them or beat them with a bit of skill and can’t link up with team mates.
I’m taking time out from the Richarlison debate and hope he comes good because I don’t have anything against him. I just think he’s not very good and expect an awful lot more for a £60 million player.
Despite my harsh criticisms of Rich, I agree with everything you've said. I really wish things would work out for him, but as you've said yourself, if he's not scoring goals there's really very little redeeming factors he brings to the team that makes him stand out. We've definitely had enough of a look at him to know that he's not suddenly going to become one of the first players named on the team sheet.

The only credit I can give Chelsea, is that if a player is not working for them, they're ruthless and don't hang about. Admittedly they've made some grave errors with this strategy in the past but getting rid of certain players is more of a given than others, and getting rid of Rich should be a no brainer!

Meh.... The tweet you responded to wasn't in the business of encouraging patience.

I'm not convinced by your stab at being a psychologist over price-tag either.

I thought Njie didn't get a fair crack..... I thought similar of KWP, Ledlin, Onomah and no doubt other low/no cost players over the years. Poch seemed to wash his hands of Llorente after all but 5 minutes even though he prived to quite useful to us in the end..... And on....
And none of them were 60m players, so the managers and people in general didnt give a shit.

In any case, pricetag or not, it is extremely important that we sign a Kane replacement. Cant hang our hopes on a striker whose best is 13 goals and worst is 1 goal.

Human feeling is flawed. The ratings represent a record of performance over a period of time, not just a hunch or feeling.
Geez you and your fucking ratings!

Also adding 'Human feeling is flawed'.

This you...?

short circuit eyes GIF

And none of them were 60m players,

Exactly my point....... Which illustrates that not everyone thinks the way you wish to portray them.... Or is being patient over Rich for the reasons that you're projecting.

In any case, pricetag or not, it is extremely important that we sign a Kane replacement. Cant hang our hopes on a striker whose best is 13 goals and worst is 1 goal.

The more we hear this phrase the more quaint it sounds.......... New ST when a worthwhile target becomes apparent? Absolutely.... "Kane replacement"? Fat chance......

Back
Top Bottom